How to Make a Ball-Jointed Doll in Wood

Review by Donna Menke posted 10-27-2015 06:43 PM 3587 views 0 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
How to Make a Ball-Jointed Doll in Wood No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am the author and a bit prejudiced, but I do think that this is an excellent source of material for how to make a doll in wood, and I am proud to offer it to all of you.
At long last, my latest booklet, How to Make a Ball-Jointed Doll in Wood, is finished and available. After a year of trials and errors I have made a darn good set of plans and instructions for my 7” ball-jointed doll. The booklet is 48 pages long- more a mini-book than a booklet- and has 120 full-color step-by-step photos as well as 6 pages with full-sized plans and assembly diagrams. Go to my web site to order your download: www.woodworks-by-donna.com

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#1 posted 10-28-2015 03:14 PM

Nice looking dolls. But should this be in the review section? You’re selling your own goods. Seems there should be a classified section on this site.

#2 posted 10-28-2015 04:03 PM

You may be right, I didn’t know there was a classified section. How do I find it?

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

#3 posted 10-28-2015 04:09 PM

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

#4 posted 10-28-2015 06:10 PM

Thanks, Cajun. I have been pleasantly surprised so far- less than 24 hours- to find a goodly number of people interested in getting my booklet. It has been an ongoing doll project for 2 years, with the last year in making and writing, taking photos, and making plans for this doll. The plans and other diagrams took a tremendous amount of effort to make as correct as I could make them. Blood, sweat, and tears. . . but I am happy now.

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#5 posted 10-28-2015 08:50 PM

Not implying not to sell, maybe this should be in the forums or projects. I remember a guy reviewed the bench hold downs he forged and was selling and everyone really ripped into him.

View fuigb's profile

fuigb

#6 posted 10-29-2015 01:21 AM

A doll with balls, eh? I’m guessing that you don’t call him “Ken.”

-- - Crud. Go tell your mother that I need a Band-aid.

View Rick_M's profile

Rick_M

#7 posted 10-29-2015 01:26 AM

It’s in poor taste to post advertisements in the review section.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#8 posted 10-29-2015 09:53 AM

It s in poor taste to post advertisements in the review section.

- Rick M.

For me this post is not a review; I find this to be an advertisement.

A doll with balls, eh? I m guessing that you don t call him “Ken.”
- fuigb

I calling mine “Caitlyn” and with my CNC I will be able to add anatomy or subtract it.

-- Desert_Woodworker

#9 posted 10-29-2015 12:35 PM

Youse guys are just too funny!
Rick, please tell me where it would be better to post about my booklet.

View Rick_M's profile

Rick_M

#10 posted 10-30-2015 01:06 AM

You already posted about your booklet in your blog.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View Pop's profile

Pop

#11 posted 10-31-2015 05:47 PM

Sell away Donna, I personally see no problem with your post. Looks like a very interesting project, good luck with your sales. cajunpen

Me too Donna.
About your doll, are you familiar with stop motion puppetry? Back a few years they used wood ball joint doll/puppets to do this. Check out Jiri Trnka. He was called the Walt Disney of eastern europe.

Bill “Pop” Golden

-- One who works with his hands is a laborer, his hands & head A craftsman, his hands, head & heart a artist

#12 posted 10-31-2015 06:21 PM

Thanks, guys. Pop, I found this on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS4Th36zN_g
Neat to watch how he did that video short. Thanks for the reference.

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#13 posted 11-08-2015 05:49 AM

Nice looking dolls. But should this be in the review section? You re selling your own goods. Seems there should be a classified section on this site.

- dhazelton

yea I agree I hate when people advertise here or push their own YouTube channels and websites

View exelectrician's profile

exelectrician

#14 posted 11-13-2015 10:09 PM

Hey Donna, all your posts in the past of your automations have absolutely delighted me,
In my opinion you have contributed a lot of very detailed work and kept me very engrossed figuring out how all of your work goes together.

You are one of us! So for that reason, you should brush off the complaints posted above.

Also I am very interested in buying your book. Message me ,,,,
Vince

-- Love thy neighbour as thyself

#15 posted 11-14-2015 01:32 PM

Thanks, Vince. I am proud to be LJer and I’m glad that you have enjoyed my projects.