Incra V27 Basic Miter Gauge

Review by knotscott posted 1998 days ago 4303 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Incra V27 Basic Miter Gauge No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The V27 is Incra’s entry level basic gauge retailing at about $60 and is constructed primarily of sturdy steel with some well placed nylon trim pieces. The bottom of the steel protractor head glides on a nylon pad that rides along the table surface. The Incra has a “GlideLOCK” miter bar that consists of 4 expandable nylon adjustment spacers in the bar to be perfectly taylor fitted to the standard 3/4”x3/8” miter slot on your saw. There is a removable t-clip on the end of the bar for added holding stability in slots that have a t-groove. The V27 features 27 indexed angle settings with laser cut notches every 5 degrees plus a couple extra for the most popular angles. It’s held firmly in place with Incra’s “AngleLock” – a positive locking steel pointer that fits perfectly into the v-shaped notches . It also has one degree hash marks on the protractor compass for more minute adjustments. The push handle is a robust hard plastic round knob mounted just behind the face. Overall it’s well built but is a little lighter duty than my stock cast iron gauge. It is however considerably more precise.

My gauge was not dead-on as received out of the package. Adjusting the miter head square to the bar is a bit tedious and requires loosening 4 hex screws in the face using the supplied hex wrench, and manually aligning it to a reference like the miter bar or miter slot. Once dialed in, it’s very accurate and stays put. Another task that’s a bit tedious involves the Glidelock bar width adjustments. Three of the adjustment spacers are easily accessible and require only a turn of the hex screw to adjust, but the fourth adjustment washer resides underneath the head assembly which needs to be removed in order to access. Again, once adjusted and dialed in, the performance is amazing. There is no lateral slop in the miter slot, and with my hand resting on the table surface using only thumb power, a flick of my thumb launches the gauge to the back of the saw! (“Don’t try this at home folks…”) The nylon pad under the head is a really effective feature. No other gauge I’ve ever used slides anywhere near as well as the Incra. Great design feature. The instructions for making these adjustments are clear with good picture examples.

The V27 is extremely easy to use and is very accurate at the prenotched angles. Loosen the AngleLock pointer and the handle, rotate the gauge to the desired notch, and place the pointer firmly back into the form fitting V slot. It’s simple and goof proof as long as you use the 5 degree notch settings provided. The AngleLock pointer sits firmly in the indented V notch for the indexed settings, but for finer increments, the pointer gets backed out of the notch and is consistently skewed from this position and doesn’t lend itself well to precision with the one degree increments. The Incra 1000 and higher models address this issue with an additional plastic vernier pointer which slides back and forth above the indexed notches and points directly at the printed markings on the compass. I added my own version of this pointer using a small piece of mylar that I aligned with the zero reading, and can be pointed more accurately at any 1 degree marking on the gauge much like the more expensive models. (One of these days I’ll replace the transparency film with something more elegant and permanent, but this works…see the pics below) At $60 the V27 is tremendous value in my opinion.

homemade pointer
pointer

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5434 posts in 2011 days

View Doug S.'s profile

Doug S.

#1 posted 1997 days ago

5 Stars from me too. If you have a bandsaw, throuw away that POS gauge that came with your BS and buy this.

-- Use the fence Luke

View RedShirt013's profile

RedShirt013

#2 posted 1997 days ago

I got one V27 and it is awesome for the price, and the 5 degree is suitable for most of what I do. It take take a bit of work like you said to calibrate it initially, but takes less than 30 minutes in my case. If you like V27’s simplicity but not 5 degree increments, it’s not much more $ for the V120.

-- Ed

View RedShirt013's profile

RedShirt013

#3 posted 1996 days ago

CessnaPilotBarry,

It’s true what you said, the V27 can be adjusted to any angle and locked. However if I stick with the 5 degrees (or 22.5) then I can use the V shaped notch & teeth to dial it in, and I know I will be dead on. It’s entirely usable at any other angles but just require some more careful eyeballing and test cuts.

-- Ed

View marcb's profile

marcb

#4 posted 1995 days ago

For the price this can’t be beat. Even the more expensive ones have a hard time beating it. Typically only winning at the 1degree ease of use.

I also want to add this thing is HEAVY. I kinda shy’d away from it until someone mentioned that to me. It looks light and maybe a little flimsy. No, they use heavy duty tool steel for this.

I bought one that I managed to find at the old price around x-mas. Best purchase I made for myself at that time(well the Xbox 360 was pretty good too).

View Kevin's profile

Kevin

#5 posted 1995 days ago

I love mine as well. So much better than the stock miter gauges with the bandsaw and tablesaw.

-- Kevin, Wichita, Kansas

Hello KS , I’m looking at the Incra V120 on sale at Rockler stores for $50 and online for $60…..Mixed reviews on Amazon with one guy stating that it should sell for $29.99 tops and others say it is perfect for the money…Have you experienced this gauge yet ? Thank you and Your Mylar trick is great : )

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5434 posts in 2011 days

Hi Dusty – Sorry I can’t offer any insights from experience…I’ve never laid eyes or hands on a V120. However, from pics on Amazon it looks a lot like the V27. It’s not overly heavy like a cast iron miter gauge, but it’s made from reasonably thick steel, is plenty sturdy for anything close to reasonable handling of it, and its far more precise than the two heavyweight cast iron gauges I’ve had. On the plus side, the other 3 reviews were very positive. Relative to other choices, what do you get in the $50-$60 range?

Thank you KS …the price is my driving force right now , but I just didn’t want to buy this one and then kick my own butt later on …...woulda , coulda , shoulda…you know what I mean and you seem to be most knowledgeable about these matters .Thanks for the feedback : )