Delta 50-760 1 1/2 HP Dust Collector - Not so Pleased

Review by CharlieD posted 1994 days ago 10151 views 2 times favorited 33 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Delta 50-760 1 1/2 HP Dust Collector - Not so Pleased Delta 50-760 1 1/2 HP Dust Collector - Not so Pleased Delta 50-760 1 1/2 HP Dust Collector - Not so Pleased Click the pictures to enlarge them

I see several satisified user with good reviews on this product. However it has a flaw that bugs me, and is not acceptable. I bought one new in December. The unit does a very good job with collection, is reasonably quiet and I’m happy with that. But new, right out of the box I found a problem. The rod that holds up the dust filter bag attaches to the top/side of the unit’s housing. The first time I moved the unit the rod hung on an over head beam and even though it wasn’t significant by any means the housing insert that the rod connects too will no longer hold the rod tight.

So this looked like a design flaw to me and I called Delta. Needless to say I would have to take the unit apart and take the housing to a local supplier (which Delta gave me) and swap. I saw this same unit at a Rockler store and another local woodworking store which they used there in the store. Both had the same problem and one had the insert completely reamed out and missing. I went to several forums and saw numbers posts realtive to the same problem.

I’m bugged about it and Delta should issue a fix….... not sure how but that’s their’s to figure out. I called Delta and the nice people I talked to were completely unaware of the problem. Obviously, they haven’t seen one of these used for a while.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#1 posted 1994 days ago

Charlie the picture does not come up in your post.
I’m really interested in this post as I have the same collector.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

#2 posted 1994 days ago

I agree. I have the same problem. The bag then hangs sideways instead of straight up. Arrgggh! Thanks for bringing it up.

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#3 posted 1994 days ago

Charlie & John – It is interesting that you are having this problem. I have the same DC. When I was assembling it, I noticed that the bracket for the rod shown in the instruction manual was different from the actual one on the machine. The one in the manual looks much stronger – it is attached to the top with one screw and to the side with two more screws. The bracket on my machine is only attached by one screw on the top. It seems that since my manual was printed in December 2006, Delta has made this part worse.

Mine is OK so far, but I do not move the DC.

-- “That it will never come again / Is what makes life so sweet. ” ― Emily Dickinson

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

#4 posted 1994 days ago

Yep the little bracket bent. I straightened it and added a washer, but it bent again.

#5 posted 1994 days ago

All,
Thanks for the support.

Chuck, yep I noticed the same thing that the bracket I got was not the stonger one with two bolts shown in the manual.

So, we need to do something about this. Tomorrow when I get to work I’m going to copy this thread and see if I can get the attention of Delta by calling them, getting someone on the phone. Will let you know what happens.

I think that everyone who has the model has the same problem.

Speak up if you have this problem please.

View SteveMO's profile

SteveMO

54 posts in 2040 days

#6 posted 1993 days ago

I checked mine and it has the 1 bolt. I haven’t had any problem with it but the unit is very new.

#7 posted 1993 days ago

John
The pic was just one from a website. Didn’t take one of the problem.

Steve
If you move it around much it will wobble loose and ream out the inset

View Woodchuck1957's profile

Woodchuck1957

#8 posted 1993 days ago

Why no picture ? A closeup of whats going on would be nice.

#9 posted 1993 days ago

I will take a pic tonight and post it. Calling Delta now.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#10 posted 1993 days ago

I just went out and check on mine and it has the one bolt setup. Now I remember I noticed that when I was putting it together. Mine’s OK so far but I’d like to hear what Delta has to say.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View dalec's profile

dalec

#11 posted 1993 days ago

I also have the Delta 50-760 with the single bolt holding the bracket to the top of dust collector body. The bracket is like an upside down “F” with a foot on the leg of the F pointing the opposite direction. The foot is the attachment point for the bracket. It attaches to the top of the DC main housing using a single heavy duty bolt.

The rod that supports the dust collection bag slided into a heavy gauge metal tube that is positioned against and spot welded to two metal tabs (under the tube and on its right side) on the bracket. If I were designing the bracket, I would have tabs on both sides of the tube and welded and another bolt to lock the bracket against the dust collector body.

It sounds from others on this thread that the tube material may be soft and can be reamed out by the dust collection bag support rod.

I have not had a problem as yet, but tend to leave the DC pretty much in one location and it is within reach of my equipment.

Am interested in the outcome of this discussion and what Delta may have to say about it.

Dalec

View Woodshopfreak's profile

Woodshopfreak

#12 posted 1993 days ago

To bad, I found that this dust collector is quite great, and the rod that holds the bag up doesn’t really present a problem for me because it stays in one place.

-- Tyler, Illinois

#13 posted 1988 days ago

Update – I talked to Delta service, nice guy but not very helpful. He said I needed to talk to the Product manager for the 50-760, he didn’t know who that was and didn’t have a way to find out. That’s kind of a “you are &^ out of luck Big Daddy” statement. Regardless, he entered a something into their something and as soon as I give him the serial number he would submit it and then it would get reviewed for consideration. It surprises me that they can’t look me up since I am very attentive to registering my purchases and know I’m in their “system” with a registered 50-760. So soon as I can remember to get the serial number and call them back …..... we will see what happens next. DELTA WAKE UP

#14 posted 1986 days ago

I reported the serial number to Delta today and the problem is on it’s way to engineering. Really don’t know what happens next but we will see.

Pics added.

View yokel's profile

yokel

72 posts in 2056 days

#15 posted 1968 days ago

I had the same problem. I was able to fix it by putting a lock washer & nut on the bottom of the attachment bolt from the inside of the DC. It’s definitely a design flaw, & like some of you have mentioned the documentation photo’s seem to sport a beefier model with several attachment points.