Serious upgrade

Review by Willowlane posted 10-18-2015 12:20 AM 5196 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Serious upgrade Serious upgrade No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Purchased this at the PA location during their going out of business sale. The retail price was $545 they sold it to me for $475 since they were clearing out the store. In the past I used a craftsman 10”. This new saw has plenty of power. It is covered in grease and assembly took about an hour. I can’t speak for the factory blade as I replaced it with a Timberwof blade. Cuts are clean and fence & table are sturdy and square. The only complaint I have is how difficult it is to get all the bearings tuned. When you set them they move easily while tightening them. Once set the saw performs well. I have used it to make a few bandsaw boxes and my daughters use it for making kid projects. I have resawed 5 1/2” oak, pine, and poplar. It does very well with a Timberwolf 1/2” blade. Keep the length around 3 feet and the pieces are easy to work with.

I am happy with the purchase and happy to be building my wood shop.

View Willowlane's profile

Willowlane

View pjones46's profile

pjones46

#1 posted 10-18-2015 02:56 AM

I also have one and is great. And agree about the blade quide bearings. Nice review.

-- Respectfully, Paul

View Pointer's profile

Pointer

#2 posted 10-20-2015 12:45 AM

I have the 30th anniversary edition of this saw. I second the covered in grease. Once cleaned up, it went together fairly easily. I didn’t have any help so needed to cowboy up to place the saw on its base. I also needed to shim the bottom wheel as it was not in the same plane as the upper wheel. The guide bearings are a bit difficult to get right as others have mentioned. I bought an Olson blade to replace the factory blade. All said, I am satisfied with the saw and would buy it again.

-- Joe - - Don't be pessimistic, it never works works anyway.

View 308Gap's profile

308Gap

#3 posted 10-20-2015 05:18 PM

Try setting the bearings with the table off, it helped me.

-- Thank You Veterans!

View 308Gap's profile

308Gap

#4 posted 10-20-2015 05:23 PM

https://youtu.be/wGbZqWac0jU this video is the best thing I ever did with the bandsaw.

-- Thank You Veterans!

View Pointer's profile

Pointer

#5 posted 10-22-2015 01:31 AM

That was a very informative video 308Gap. Thanks for posting. It appears that I have done a few things wrong.

-- Joe - - Don't be pessimistic, it never works works anyway.

#6 posted 10-22-2015 08:35 AM

Set up on this can be a little odd no doubt. I put the 6 inch riser on mine and feel it was well worth the price. This saw will perform well if like mentioned keeping the guides in tune. Carter Blocks are a little pricey but once you have them your like wow.

View Jim Finn's profile

Jim Finn

#7 posted 01-18-2016 03:53 PM

“I didn’t have any help so needed to cowboy up to place the saw on its base.”

What I did when I assembled mine with the riser is: I assembled it completely , base and all, horizontally , laying on the floor. I then just lifted it to the up-right position. Worked well for me. I was younger then though (70). I do not have a need for a mobile base , and I am sure that would complicate this method a lot.

-- No PHD just a DD214 and a GED Website> https://craftingcouple.com