It works, but I wouldn't recommend it as a benchtop

Review by whope posted 10-17-2015 04:32 PM 2610 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
It works, but I wouldn't recommend it as a benchtop No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My dad was coming to town to visit and at the last minute I decided that we would start working on a workbench for my shop. I chose the workbench from the Oct. 2015 FWW. Feeling rushed, I decided to purchase this top instead of making one.

When we got it home from Woodcraft and removed the cardboard wrapping, I was disappointed that the long edges had a 1/4” round-over. I’m surprised Woodcraft didn’t carry the squared edges.

Needing to mount a vise and to make it a bit wider for the base, I had to cut off the long edges.

The top is flat in both directions. The boards that make up the top weren’t all full with, leaving voids on the underside which are filled with a resin. Not really an issue as nobody is going to see it but me.

The finish isn’t silky smooth.

I’m not 100% happy with it. I won’t be replacing it and it will probably last a long time. And now I have a suitable workbench.

-- Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe.

View whope's profile

whope

View KeepOnLearnin's profile

KeepOnLearnin

#1 posted 10-19-2015 02:03 PM

Thanks! I was just eyeballing that in the catalog.

-- Mark - Keep-On-Learnin' :)

View acilocators's profile

acilocators

#2 posted 10-19-2015 05:23 PM

gotta love house hold projects sometimes

View Holt's profile

Holt

#3 posted 08-03-2016 05:54 PM

Ii went with one of the wide Beech counter tops form IKEA, ripped it down the middle, stacked/glued the pieces to end up with a 3” thick 74” x 21”. So far it seems stable (been in the workshop several years waiting for me to get back to it. At the time, it cost me $199. Thinking after I add a tool tray in the back, a shoulder vice, and aprons all around, that 21” width should be about right.

-- ...Specialization is for insects.