My "Entry-Level" Dovetail Saw

Review by DylanC posted 10-17-2015 02:14 PM 3114 views 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My "Entry-Level" Dovetail Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Let me start by saying this is my first venture into the world of anything other than a “construction” grade handsaw. My thoughts and opinions here are based on a whopping 10 minutes of experience.

I was looking at this saw as an inexpensive alternative to a traditional dovetail saw, and because I didn’t think I would care for a “Gents” saw because of the handle style. The blade is 0.025” at thick and 0.035” at the teeth. This is a bit thicker than a comparable Veritas, which is 0.020 thick with 0.003 of set on the teeth. The depth of cut is limited to 2-3/4”. The blade has 16 teeth per inch, comparable with other dovetail saws. The handle on my saw is a bit different than the photo. Mine is “higher” on the saw and has a more extreme angle, making it closer in position (though not in style) to the traditional saws. When I tested the saw an a piece of hardwood in the shop, it was clear that the cut would have to be cleaned up with a chisel before final assembly. Although this could be a matter of technique and have nothing to do with the saw.

That said, I probably will end up cutting some dovetails and tenons with this saw, but I won’t be surprised if I upgrade in the future.

Note: I also purchase a DeWalt “dozuki-style” pull saw at the same time as this saw, and experienced very similar results. That review is posted separately.

-- Dylan C ...Seems like all ever I make is sawdust...

View DylanC's profile