Bosch Trim Router

Review by Moron posted 03-05-2009 01:55 PM 6346 views 0 times favorited 33 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bosch Trim Router No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this little router at HD as my 25 year old, never failed me, Black and Decker trim router was sounding like it was about to puke. I didnt look at prices as I am somewhat a believer in “buy once” ...then “cry once” then never cry again so it wasnt the least expensive one there.

I use my trim router a lot, mostly for routing in butt hinges then clean it up with a chisel, same for inlaid bowties and “trimming” veneer and plastics etc., On first, second and …..............it worked great, no complaints but then I noticed that the router bit was slipping when actually it wasnt. It was the outer case sliding down the motor so I tightened the nut on the cam that clamps it down

End result is that the outer case that tightens down on the motor houseing is made from inexpensive white metal and was actually bending to the point where it cannot be tightened any more and the router is somewhat useless so I wonder as I have not read it the manual if I am required to put a shim inbetween the casing and the housing.

I’m not impressed.

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View Moron's profile

Moron

View John Stegall's profile

John Stegall

#1 posted 03-05-2009 02:28 PM

I would return it to HD. I understand that any company can have a problem, but they should stand behind it. Good luck if you decide to keep it.

-- jstegall

View Moron's profile

Moron

#2 posted 03-05-2009 02:34 PM

I’m going to return it as in its present state its somewhat useless.

Going to buy the Festool MFK 700 EQ at 5 times the price, mind you…...buy twice, cry twice…...and hopefully never cry again

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

#3 posted 03-05-2009 02:47 PM

Roman, thanks for the review. I have been considering adding one of these to my routers and have always been impressed by Bosch’s quality for tools. But this review causes me to reevaluate the purchase. I am sure that a review of the Festool is going to come up. There is no question about the quality of this router.

View Matt's profile

Matt

181 posts in 2095 days

#4 posted 03-05-2009 03:16 PM

Sorry to hear that. I know lots of guys are putting them in CNC routers but they are removing the motor from the base and putting them in custom mounts. Supposedly the spindle is really good on not having any runout and with the 1 hp motor, it is awesome for the benchtop CNC machines. Sounds like a bad implementation of a good motor. I have a PC893 in my router but I’ve thought about getting the colt for when I don’t need the size, power, or noise of the PC.

I have a DeWalt laminate trimmer that has never let me down. Love that little thing.

-- Matt - My Websites - http://www.bestinwood.com - Hand Tools :: http://www.workshopgarage.com - Small Shops

View MrWoody's profile

MrWoody

#5 posted 03-05-2009 03:57 PM

Thank you for posting this review. I was looking at that same router; I won’t be now.

-- If we learn from our mistakes, I'm getting a fantastic education.

View Kindlingmaker's profile

Kindlingmaker

#6 posted 03-05-2009 05:06 PM

I have the Bosch Colt and it is a fantastic router! For such a little guy it works like a big one.

-- Never board, always knotty, lots of growth rings

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#7 posted 03-05-2009 06:08 PM

Thanks for the heads up Roman.
You just saved me over a hundred bucks and the frustration.
I had one in my hand last week at HD.
I’ll have to go back and look at the Rigid.
I wanted something that takes guides (1-3/16’)

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View RedShirt013's profile

RedShirt013

#8 posted 03-05-2009 06:39 PM

Roman, I have the VS version of the Colt and haven’t have that problem. One thing to note is that the router is designed that the motor could sliding up/down the case/base easily (for rough adjustment), but you have to rotate the motor clockwise to engage the fine adjustment threads (for fine adjustment). Not sure if you had done that but the fine adjustment threads are what mainly maintains the set height. I still think my Colt is very good in quality, except for the fact that I much prefer double wrench over the spindle lock it has.

-- Ed

View Woodguru's profile

Woodguru

12 posts in 2094 days

#9 posted 03-05-2009 07:04 PM

Not good news, I too would consider returning it or having it repaired if under warranty. I have two of these routers and used them very often for tandem jobs. I personally love them very much and would not give them up. I also have the PC and Dewalt trim router but always go for the Colt. Good luck.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#10 posted 03-05-2009 07:22 PM

Love my Colt, no problems here.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View mmax's profile

mmax

#11 posted 03-05-2009 08:21 PM

I also have the Colt and have used it for the past year with no problems. Fantastic router.

-- Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#12 posted 03-05-2009 08:55 PM

sounds like 1 bad apple. as Bosch’s routers and the colt as one of them are top notch machines… sad to see so many people here change their minds about this one because of 1 review. there may be more than meets the eye here – either Roman didnt engage the fine-adjusting thread, or maybe this particular one is truly defective. I’d check more into it personally.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Gary Fixler's profile

Gary Fixler

#13 posted 03-05-2009 11:04 PM

Sorry to hear it, roman. I had that one in my hand 2 or 3 weeks back at HD, too, but opted for the RIDGID, partly because it cost less, but also because it had a round base. I figured at some point I was going to want to follow a pattern with an inward curve, and the circle wouldn’t have a problem. The square base would. Silly, but I liked it, and it was lighter. I’ve loved it so far. I cut a few stairstep shapes in plywood with it and my All-In-One clamp guides from Rockler. No slipping, light and easy to use. I’ve actually been planning to write a little review of that one at some point. It’s really right between a Dremel and small router. I did a lot of the work with 3 fingers of one hand on the base, casually moving it around. It’s so light and easy to use.

I noticed this Bosch laminate trimmer was the Rockler Deal of the Day this past week – refurb’d, and almost bought it as a backup, and because it can be put in a CNC machine that I dream of one day building, but I let the deal pass. Now I think I might be glad I did.

-- Gary, Los Angeles, video game animator

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

#14 posted 03-05-2009 11:19 PM

Never used the Bosch. I have 2 of the PC and we bought a new Freud at work. I still prefer my PC. I’ve had mine abiut 10 years now and no problem with either one.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View JayDee's profile

JayDee

34 posts in 2095 days

#15 posted 03-05-2009 11:51 PM

I have the Colt and love it. With mine, you turn and lock the casing to the motor before clamping. I’ve never had a problem with it slipping.

-- JayDee from Woodstock, GA