Dozuki Style, But Some Differences

Review by DylanC posted 10-17-2015 01:59 PM 2312 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Dozuki Style, But Some Differences No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Let me start by saying this is my first venture into the world of anything other than a “construction” grade handsaw. My thoughts and opinions here are based on a whopping 10 minutes of experience.

I was looking at this saw as an inexpensive alternative to a traditional dozuki style saw as I build my tool set. At less than 1/4 the cost of a Z-saw, I didn’t have much to lose. Anyway, the thing is a bit of a monster at just over 21” in length, with the cutting portion of the blade coming in at 9-3/4”. The blade is 0.025” at the spine and 0.035” at the teeth. That extra thickness (twice the Z-saw’s) eliminates the need for a spine, allowing the blade to flex. The blade also has only 14 teeth per inch, compared to the Z-saw’s 26. The result is a saw that is probably better at trimming a door molding than cutting dovetails. When I tested the saw an a piece of hardwood in the shop, it was clear that the cut would have to be cleaned up with a chisel before final assembly. Although this could be a matter of technique and have nothing to do with the saw.

That said, I probably will end up cutting some dovetails and tenons with this saw, but I won’t be surprised if I upgrade in the future.

Note: I also purchase a generic (Husky) backsaw at the same time as this saw, and experienced very similar results. That review is posted separately.

-- Dylan C ...Seems like all ever I make is sawdust...

View DylanC's profile

DylanC

1 comment so far

View abie's profile

abie

#1 posted 10-18-2015 02:50 PM

IMHO pull saws demand a sifferent style to work successfully..
My father taught me to saw by pushing, .....But the pull saw demands that you relax on the push and really pull on that stroke… only until I got that right could I make my pull saws work properly..

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.