Powermatic PM1300

Review by hairy posted 03-03-2009 07:49 PM 3392 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Powermatic PM1300 Powermatic PM1300 No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m starting to take over the basement now that the garage is full. I promised to keep it clean,and this is a big part of that. All I have connected at this time is a lathe, but that will change. I looked at just about everything that I could go and look at.To me, this was the ideal machine. Good specs, small size,not real loud. Speaking of specs: Impeller diameter = 12” Sound rating at 3 ft (db) = 75 – 90 Air flow at 6” (CFM) = 1,064
Velocity at 6” (FPM) = 5,374 Canister efficiency = 86% of 1 micron particles, 98% of 2 micron particles
Motor (TEFC) 1.75 HP,115/230V (prewired 115V) Overall dimensions =37”x29”x72”
I bought a floor model, so I had to take it apart to carry it down the steps. This is a quality machine. It even has a remote,and that is so cool. I’ve had it hooked up for 2 months now, and I’m a happy owner.It will handle anything I can get down the steps. When you go and look at dust collectors, take a good look at the motor. This motor is a whopper, no inflated specs. This thing could suck start a B – 52.

-- in the confusion, I mighta grabbed the gold ...

View hairy's profile

hairy

View RWR's profile

RWR

#1 posted 03-03-2009 09:21 PM

Love Powermatic anything.

-- Wayne

#2 posted 03-04-2009 12:18 AM

Thanks for the review. I have been looking seriously at one of these and debating between this one and the PM1900. I have to agree with Wayne’s comment.

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

#3 posted 03-04-2009 03:52 AM

looks like a good one … mine (Delta) is getting worn and has lost suction over the years …. time for a new one too !

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

#4 posted 03-04-2009 10:29 PM

How much did the lathe stand cost ? That’s a great idea and the bungie cord hose holder works great I see Does it ever end up crushing the hose on you ?...I wish I had this much room in my shop : ) Nice review on the DC

View hairy's profile

hairy

#5 posted 03-05-2009 12:29 AM

Dusty, the lathe stand was made out of stuff on hand. It’s 2×6 ’s and 2×4’s glued and bolted together with 3/8’ carriage bolts, then bolted to a 4×4 post.I ran the tops through the jointer before attaching them. It fits pretty good, the stand is just as wide as the lathe. It works pretty well, open in the center, lotsa leg room. The bungee cord does change the opening, but does not close it. It kinda elongates the opening.

I can’t figure out embedding the pic, sorry!

-- in the confusion, I mighta grabbed the gold ...

#6 posted 03-07-2009 09:31 PM

Thanks for the feedback and the extra photo ….My JET minilathe is presently taking up residence on one of my bench tops. I wish I could devote the room to make a stand like yours . I can always take my Lil lathe off of the bench as needed , but I would obviously like to have the bench space open at all times. Thanks again for the great ideas : )

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#7 posted 03-09-2009 02:49 AM

Thats a nice DC.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View Dixon1430's profile

Dixon1430

#8 posted 02-18-2012 02:16 AM

This thing could suck start a b-52!!! I just laughed out loud. This is most likely the unit I will buy eventually. Thanks for posting and for the B-52, HA!

-- Ryan: "Everything is a hammer, except for a screwdriver and that's a chisel..."