Wood Magazine 3 in 1 bed for all ages -plan

Review by Michigander posted 10-13-2015 04:12 PM 4874 views 2 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wood Magazine 3 in 1 bed for all ages -plan Wood Magazine 3 in 1 bed for all ages -plan No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have completed the crib for my first grandson made to the Wood Magazine 3 in 1 crib plans. The plan for the bed itself was well done except it calls for using connector bolts and barrel nut system made by Products America. These are long bolts with a 1/4-20 thread that gets screwed into these little barrel nuts. The good news is I got 6 of the 8 nuts and bolts assembled which took over 3 hours of fiddling in the shop. The last 2 absolutely refuse to assemble. I had my son in law help me and he said he would just keep the baby bed assembled and never convert it to the juvenile bed or the adult bed if he had to use the barrel nuts. I don’t blame him a bit as there is no way a normal human can assemble this bed. Now in defense of the manufacturer, there is nothing wrong with the product but my ability to drill accurate holes is nowhere near what is required for this bolt system though I used a drill press and drill fixtures to drill all the holes.
So now my dilemma. How to assemble this bed using a system that mere mortals can use. For instance I would expect my daughter to be able to assemble the bed with minimal tools in 15 to 20 minutes.
I would not recommend to anyone to build this kit using the Products America connector bolts and barrel nuts. I would otherwise give the kit instructions a 4 star rating if you use some other system.
John

View Michigander's profile

Michigander

View johnstoneb's profile

johnstoneb

#1 posted 10-13-2015 06:13 PM

I have never had a problem with barrel nuts and bolts that couldn’t be solved by enlarging the hole slightly (1/32” or so). The barrel nuts I have used had a screw driver slot so you would know the orientation of the threaded hole. By inserting the bolt in the hole then pushing the nut into it’s hole until it made contact with the bolt, pull the bolt back slightly push nut up a little then push bolt back against nut and push nut up until the bolt push into the starting taper on the nut. Then line up using the screw slot and tighten things up.

-- Bruce, Boise, ID

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

3401 posts in 2073 days

#2 posted 10-13-2015 11:53 PM

I am a bit confused that you gave it two stars because you can not drill accurate holes.

View cjg's profile

cjg

#3 posted 10-14-2015 04:23 PM

I have built two of these beds now for my grand children. The issue with the bolts and barrel nuts can occur but is easy to correct as John noted above by drilling a slightly oversized hole to help with the alignment. I also put tape on my screwdriver to mark for correct depth and blade orientation. When assembling the bed I connect the bolt and barrel nuts but do not fully tighten until all fasteners have been connected. Good luck.

View Nodak's profile

Nodak

#4 posted 10-29-2015 05:39 PM

I built one of these for my granddaughter. In order to attach the bolts I stuck some putty on the end of a dowel, stuck the nut to the putty, and then inserted the nut and dowel in the hole. Since the nut is stuck to the dowel you can position the nut up and down to line up the holes. Hope this helps.

View Kenosha_Matt's profile

Kenosha_Matt

#5 posted 01-26-2016 05:59 AM

So, I am making this same crib set up. I am way overthinking the holes that are drilled into the posts from the diagram. I don’t suppose you took pictures of just the posts after you drilled all the holes?

View Michigander's profile

Michigander

#6 posted 03-03-2016 11:52 PM

I found a solution by using a different style of nut by Lee Valley. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=67659&cat=1,43455
Instead of drilling from the bottom, you drill from the side. With the nut fully exposed, assembly is a snap. Where the original nuts took hours to assemble, the Lee Valley nuts allowed me to assemble the bed in 10 minutes! I purchased the screw in metal caps to hide the nuts and the installation looks professional. And I didn’t have to remake any components, the nuts were usable even though I already drilled holes for the original nuts. The Lee Valley threads are the same as the kit, so I used the kit bolts. Works like a charm and solid as a rock!
Sorry I didn’t post this fix on my original post but I will do so now.
John