Tool of last Resort

Review by littlecope posted 2000 days ago 3897 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Tool of last Resort Tool of last Resort Tool of last Resort Click the pictures to enlarge them

What’s so special about a saw? I was moved to write this last week when i had occasion to use this baby again, my “tool of last resort”. I wanted to change the orientation of tenons on my current project and was dreaming up all of these sophisticated set-ups, involving V-blocks and clamps, when it occurred to me to just cut the things using this saw! And, as always when I use it, I wonder why this tool isn’t on my front line of attack. It cuts like a dream! When I bought it (sometime in the “90’s) I was chiefly looking simply for a saw with a straight back, that I could use for a straight edge if needed. I didn’t really know anything about tooth count or whether it was for ripping or crosscut, I just plain liked the look. And the price! The tag is still on it at $21.99. I checked, and though they’ve gone up (like everything else), they’re still only about $28. It’s made in Sweden which also sounded promising at the time. I did a little research on the Sandvik company and read they’re big in metal cutting tools, and also make medical replacement parts, pins and screws. Quality stuff!
There’s not much to add about such a tool. With a modicum of skill it cuts fast and true. If you ever try one, you’ll want one. And if you ever own one, you’ll always know where it is, because you’ll always want to keep it nearby, just in case. Seriously, I hope I’ve heaped on enough glowing praise, it deserves it! The kind of tool you’d need if you were marooned on an island! Michael C.

-- Mike in Concord, NH---Unpleasant tasks are simply worthy challenges to improve skills.

View littlecope's profile (online now)

littlecope

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

#1 posted 1999 days ago

they make a good line of card scrapers also. the use top quality steel. thanks for the review. i find myself looking for the least setup way to do cetain tasks. my $40 japanese backstroke saw is worth it’s weight in gold.

View ChicoWoodnut's profile

ChicoWoodnut

#2 posted 1999 days ago

I have a Sandvik back saw I bought some time in the 90’s too. It is a nice piece of steel and cuts just like it should. I recently had it re-sharpened.

-- Scott - Chico California http://chicowoodnut.home.comcast.net

View woodworm's profile

woodworm

#3 posted 1997 days ago

I bought one Sandvik/Bahco 2600 22” Superior XT hand saw in Sep 2007 at Tools Plus.

Happy with this saw, I bought another one.
Maybe mine is of different version but its performance probably equally the same.
It is really very nice hand saw for carpenter (and for woodworker, to some extent). Get used to it, I seldom use my Miter Saw since I can cut clean straight and square with no irritating noise. I have to agree with Littlecope, this saw deserves much praise and credit.

-- masrol, kuala lumpur, MY.