My free can of Flo-Strip

Review by MadJester posted 10-08-2015 09:14 PM 1636 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My free can of Flo-Strip No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got a can of Flo-Strip semi-paste stripper from the rep that stopped by my store. I wanted to try it out, so they sent me a gallon sized can. I finally got around to trying it out and even on the simplest thin layer of original finish, it barely touched it….not sure what person has that much time on their hands to research and develop a product that has such minimal effect, but I wish I was getting paid what they are….I’ll stick with Strypeeze and know what I’m in for rather than try to test this on every single different type of finish that comes across my workbench.

-- Sue~ Mad Jester Woodworks, "Not what I have, but what I do is my kingdom" Thomas Carlyle

View Arlin Eastman's profile

Arlin Eastman

#1 posted 10-08-2015 10:01 PM

Sue

I never used stripper but for metal parts in the military. What did the instructions say and what is it supposed to be use for?

Is it the biodegradable stuff?

-- It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

#2 posted 10-08-2015 11:00 PM

At least it was free…except for the wasted time.
Wife and I have tried several brands and always go back to strypeeze.

#3 posted 10-09-2015 03:51 AM

Instructions? Slap it on, wait and take it off…LOL

#4 posted 10-09-2015 03:54 AM

I don’t know if it was biodegradable, but it had very little odor…that should have been my first clue that it wasn’t going to go well…..I did use it on a different small project and after sitting for about an hour and a half, it did take that finish off…the thing is, I don’t want hit and miss with a stripper….as a furniture refinisher, I come across anything and everything that was ever used as a finish…I’m with Gene…the Strypeeze is the go-to product…it gets nearly everything…even if I have to re-apply, it gets it….there is very little out there that Strypeeze can’t tackle…

View Arlin Eastman's profile

Arlin Eastman

#5 posted 10-09-2015 02:54 PM

Well at least I know what to use in the future!!!

-- It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

#6 posted 10-10-2015 03:51 AM

At any given point in time over the last 27 years or so, I’ve tried probably every brand of stripper that is on the shelf at the big box stores (and some of the smaller local hardware stores…)....Strypeeze is the most universal….however, I have had very good results with Peel Away 6….it’s the one with the green lid….very little odor…but I recommend using denatured alcohol to clean up after that one…water just makes a gooey mess…the only drawback to that one is the price, and I only use it when I have seriously thick layers of paint or if I’m worried about odor…it also takes longer….I ignore the directions on that one….denatured alcohol instead of water and instead of paying them to cover the product with a paper that they sell, I simply use plastic wrap (like saran wrap…the stuff you use to save leftovers in the fridge…that stuff…)...it’s cheaper and it keeps it moister than the paper…..