Grizzly G0462 Wood Lathe with digital readout

Review by trifern posted 1958 days ago 27152 views 0 times favorited 30 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0462 Wood Lathe with digital readout No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The Grizzly G0462 Wood Lathe is an enticing machine based on it’s price point, horse power, and features. I would not recommend it. Don’t get me wrong, I have made some fairly nice pieces on it. However, I wish I had never purchased it. In one year I have replaced the belt around 10 times, replaced all bearings, replaced the tool rest, and replaced the tail stock hand wheel twice. The tail stock and head stock do not align, it vibrates, and is noisy.

View DaleM's profile

DaleM

892 posts in 1968 days

#1 posted 1958 days ago

At least you didn’t buy the Central Machinery lathe like I did from the traveling tool show. $100 dollars for a full sized lathe looked too good to pass up. It works good for thin spindles that I made for a gate but the pulley kept coming off the motor and no amount of tightening on the set screw would help. I could spot weld that in place but the frame is still not rigid enough to really do much. I guess I will get my hundred dollars of use out of it but I’m already shopping for a real lathe. I pretty much got exactly what I paid for and no more. I am surprised that the Grizzly doesn’t sound any better than what I got since I was considering it as an upgrade. Thanks a lot for the review.

-- Dale Manning, Carthage, NY

View savannah505's profile

savannah505

#2 posted 1958 days ago

A friend of mine has one of these, I’m not impressed with it at all.

-- Dan Wiggins

View pitchnsplinters's profile

pitchnsplinters

262 posts in 2022 days

#3 posted 1958 days ago

Thanks for the information. If you had it to do all over again what would you buy?

-- Just 'cause a cat has kittens in the oven, it don't make 'em biscuits.

#4 posted 1957 days ago

Thanks for the review, Joe. This is one that I can cross off my list.

#5 posted 1957 days ago

Pitchnsplinters, for that price point I would recommend the Jet JML-1014VSI. The next step up would be Jet’s “JWL-1642-2EVS, 16” x 42 EVS PRO Wood Lathe. I will probably purchase the Powermatic 3520B Lathe for my next lathe.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#6 posted 1957 days ago

Thanks for the heads up. I have had good luck so far with Grizzly, and may well have bought one of these.

View mmh's profile

mmh

#7 posted 1957 days ago

Gee, I would think you could trade or sell a couple of your turnings to get the new lathe with . . .

-- "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

View BillyUP's profile

BillyUP

#8 posted 1957 days ago

The Jet 1014VSI is a great MINI lathe, but is a whole different animal than the 1642-2EVS which is a super lathe for bigger stuff and cost much more. I bought the 1642 at a symposium for a much reduced price as it had been used,(By Jimmie Clews, David Ellsworth, and some other world class turners). They were pleased with it’s performance, even though they use much higher-end equipment. No doubt the Powermatics are on up the list,(And much more $$$), but unless you are very good, I bet you would be happy for a long time with the 1642.

-- Imagination is more important than Knowledge

View mot's profile

mot

#9 posted 1957 days ago

I got to buy cheap and buy twice as well. I had a similar lathe from Craftex. Purported to be the brother of Grizzly. I don’t know if it’s true, but I gave it away and bought a Nova DVR-XP. Money wasted on that other lathe for sure. If it makes you feel any better, I made the same mistake with my drill press, band saw….........

-- You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. (Plato)

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

#10 posted 1957 days ago

Thanks Joe for the info. I almost bought one before I got my Delta.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View jockmike2's profile

jockmike2

#11 posted 1957 days ago

One thing you can do to dampen that vibration is to get one of those poly belts that come in links. I had an old lathe that vibrated badly and when I put one of those on and no more vibration. Look thru the old reviews here it will tell you all about them, and give you a link. That Nova DVR-XP is also an awesome lathe the one mot talked about, right Tom? m

-- (You just have to please the man in the Mirror) Mike from Michigan -

View douginaz's profile

douginaz

#12 posted 1957 days ago

Hmm, I’ve had mine for three years – not a problem one. True it’s not fancy, but it does get the job done, mine lines up fine, nothing has broken, speeds up and slows down just like in the brochure, sorry to hear about your bad experience. Not sure I would buy the same one again but only because I have outgrown the capability of this lathe, If it came out with a VFD I wouldn’t hesitate to get one.
JMTCW,
Doug in AZ.

-- If you need craft books - please visit our small business at http://www.wittywife.com

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#13 posted 1956 days ago

Have you contact Grizzly about this? Griz has great customer service.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View woodbutcher's profile

woodbutcher

#14 posted 1956 days ago

trifern,
You’re right the price point, horsepower, swing and all enticed me to purchase the same lathe. I’ve not had the same problems as you’ve experienced-but then again I do very little turning. I would prefer to have a lathe that was indexable and was a bit quieter as well as less vibration. Iadded a tool bed underneath and a little weight which has helped in some regard. Oh yeah I would also have liked to be able to adjust to much lower speeds than this model is capable of. But if I hadn’t purchased it and used it a bit-I wouldn’t know what I really want in a lathe. I’ll be using it quite sometime though I imagine. Can’t always upgrade everything and it does get the jobs I currently need done-LOL

Sincerely,
Ken McGinnis

-- woodbutcher north carolina

#15 posted 1956 days ago

Rich, with all due respect, I am reviewing the machine I have and I am reporting the issues I have had with it. I am not reviewing Grizzly as a corporation or their customer service. Please do not attack me if you do not agree with my review.

I have contacted Grizzly’s customer service department about every issue I have ever had with the machine. They have always been extremely polite and professional. They have replaced all the parts at their cost. In fact, I contacted them again today about my lathe. They are sending me another new belt, another hand wheel, and another cone set screw. They were very polite and professional. They agreed that the trouble I’m having is unusual, and they are shipping me parts at no charge.

I don’t care if they have the best customer service in the universe. The fact is my lathe is broken down at least once a month. I intentionally waited 1 year before even reviewing this piece of equipment. I have been giving Grizzly the benefit of doubt. I have given them every opportunity to rectify the situation.

Perhaps I did receive a lemon. Perhaps other people have this same model and love it. I am not reviewing their machine or their experience, only mine.

I do use my lathe for several hours per day. Perhaps it’s my fault for using the machine too much. Perhaps if the machine just sat quietly in the corner of my shop except for an occasional use, I would love it. This is not the case though.

I understand that their are a lot of individuals who own Grizzly equipment and think they are great. I am happy for them. Perhaps you are one of them.

My expectations were that this machine would be reliable, dependable, and a decent investment. To say that I am disappointed would be a gross understatement.

Respectfully submitted,