Storage Units

Review by Randy Sharp posted 02-27-2009 05:44 PM 1410 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Average rating: 5.0
1 review total
Add my Review

Storage Units No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

These little gadgets (cans) are recycled from another use, but come in very handy in the storage of misc. nuts, bolts, washers, etc. I own a small collection of these storage devices myself.

This company produces several colors, versions and sizes. Other companys also produce these economical units.

-- Randy, Tupelo, MS ~ A man who honors his wife will have children who honor their father.

View Randy Sharp's profile

Randy Sharp

View Sawdustonmyshoulder's profile

Sawdustonmyshoulder

#1 posted 02-27-2009 06:16 PM

Dude, you are so funny but I got one up on you.

Here is my attempt at being the “green environmentalist”...

This recycled container is a bit better because it is stackable, clear so you can see it’s contents, and again, FREE!

cake

So, Sawdustonmyshoulder says, “Let them eat cake!”

Get it? Cake? Cake Box? Never your mind.

-- Makin' Sawdust!!!

View scarpenter002's profile

scarpenter002

#2 posted 02-27-2009 08:40 PM

I am kind of fond of the big plastic Folgers cans. They can be used to store parts or in my finish room.

-- Scott in Texas

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#3 posted 02-27-2009 08:59 PM

I like the glass jars for finishes – they are more durable and long lasting than plastic/tin can and can be washed and reused over and over again – also air sealed

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Will Mego's profile

Will Mego

#4 posted 02-27-2009 09:23 PM

this is funny and all, but seeing as Martin asked for more reviews, perhaps this should be moved elsewhere.

-- "That which has in itself the greatest use, possesses the greatest beauty." - http://www.willmego.com/

View Pie's profile

Pie

187 posts in 2060 days

#5 posted 02-28-2009 12:00 AM

Ha, I use baby jars and put magnets inside the top. What do I stick them to?..... I removed the metal top from a bricked DVD player and smashed it flat. Use some wood screws to screw it under my cabinets and there ya go. I can get the mags on line for about .30 a piece which a good price. I am about recycling.

-- Pie

View Sawdust2's profile

Sawdust2

#6 posted 02-28-2009 01:40 AM

Had a neighbor who turned a lot of pens.
He cut the top 2” off of liter soda (pop) bottles and then screwed the bottoms onto strips of wood.
He numbered the storage containers and used the numbers to keep track of the type of wood in each storage container. (#1 Oak; #2 Cherry; etc.)
Kept it all on an Excel file, sort of like a point of sale system or a small inventory control program.
All of the blanks were visible and if he forgot what type of wood it was he just looked it up on his ‘puter.

He has his pen kits similarly organized on a peg board. Same type of control system.

Worked for him.

Lee

-- No piece is cut too short. It was meant for a smaller project.

View JPBatts's profile

JPBatts

41 posts in 2032 days

#7 posted 02-28-2009 07:39 PM

Try this…you may have seen those refigerator magnets that have a gummed side for business cards. If you stick one on an Altoids tin it is perfect to keep small parts handy. Weight can defeat this use but if you use the magnet to hold it where a ledge supports the weight it is perfect.

-- If she asks please tell my wife that I can sell my tools for what I paid, okay?

View pitchnsplinters's profile

pitchnsplinters

262 posts in 2093 days

#8 posted 03-01-2009 03:51 AM

I love this review. It’s the simple stuff that is missing from these reviews. Hand tools are highly engineered products compared to what is otherwise clever usage of waste. I also like the idea of alternative uses for products, such as using PVC pipe for storage tubes and the like. Thanks for the review.

-- Just 'cause a cat has kittens in the oven, it don't make 'em biscuits.

View scottb's profile

scottb

#9 posted 03-02-2009 03:45 PM

Ah, nothing like paying for a storage container, and getting free food with it!
Rubbermaid, Sterilite take note!

-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- http://blanchardcreative.etsy.com -- http://snbcreative.wordpress.com/

View RedShirt013's profile

RedShirt013

#10 posted 03-05-2009 07:03 PM

Wow I am enlightened. Their only uses I’ve seen before are housing bodily waste, or ten year old cigarette butts soaked in rainwater.
But seriously you can also hang these can like Madcow suggested; Mount a decent sized rare earth magnet on the wall, and use another magnet inside the can, so that wall of the can is “clamped” by the magnets. Good enough for lighter stuff.

-- Ed