New Shop Lights

Review by Kurt T. Kneller posted 10-04-2015 07:50 PM 3120 views 3 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New Shop Lights No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My shop is a 2 car garage (2 cars….must be fiats) and there is only (1) window and (2) over head single light sockets.
It gets pretty dark in there now once the sun goes down. I have been planning on putting up 3 banks of 4’ fluorescent lights and running them to switches on the wall. I was researching here and various forums for advice on proper lighting and used recommended formulas. Those calculations were telling me I needed about 9-12 fixtures. That seemed like overkill. Anyway, I needed to do something now and went to the BORG and they were out of the fixtures I was planning on using. I found these 42” 4000 lumens led shop lights from Commercial Electric. The were $54 each.
I was a little skeptical at first, but know I am sold. I have 4 up right now and plan for 2 more. Every inch of my work areas are now well light with pleasing clean white light. No more dark spots. Lights went up quick, no wicked glare and minimal/if no shadows. I was expecting close $65 -$70 per fixture, including bulbs, for my original plan. So far I feel like these were a better choice, at least for my shop. I think the are worth a look.

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

#1 posted 10-04-2015 08:39 PM

sounds good.. got a link?

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

View jeff's profile

jeff

#2 posted 10-05-2015 08:03 AM

How about some pics?.

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View visualj's profile

visualj

#3 posted 10-05-2015 05:16 PM

I have to agree with this, although I only have one up so far. I bought 5 for my workshop that is in progress. In the meantime, I had to put one up in my NEW outbuilding to I could see after dark. Since they are LEDs, there is no flicker to the warm up as with fluorescents, and they are at full output right away.
I was lucky as I had a %15 off coupon, so I go mine a bit cheaper.

#4 posted 10-05-2015 10:51 PM

Scott,
I do not have a link showing the actual light. HD’s website yet. They say the website lags behind in store inventory by a couple of weeks.
Jeff, here are a couple of pics of my “in progress” shop.

I also like they are good for -4 F. My shop is not heated yet.

View jeff's profile

jeff

#5 posted 10-06-2015 04:49 AM

Looks great.I have fluorescent’s and even in Tucson when it gets cold you can tell they are not as bright as compared when its warmer.Nice addition to your shop.

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View Bob A in NJ's profile

Bob A in NJ

#6 posted 10-15-2015 11:59 PM

I bought 2 of these also to replace one 8’ fluorescent pair, as my 8’s burn out, I’m replacing them all with these LEDs , love ‘em!

-- Bob A in NJ

View Chris 's profile

Chris

#7 posted 12-21-2015 04:43 AM

Kurt…. Can you tell me what color temperature these are?

#8 posted 12-28-2015 08:38 PM

sounds good.. got a link?

- ScottKaye

Kurt…. Can you tell me what color temperature these are?

- Chris