Works well thus far

Review by Will Mego posted 02-26-2009 11:39 PM 1466 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Works well thus far No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

With the intention of using it to spray glue down pieces of sandpaper for the Scary Sharp sharpening method, I bought this at my local Ace Hardware, large can was about $12 or so. I’ve only used it a couple of times, but thus far it works well, giving me paper glued onto 1/2” plate glass strongly enough to work chisels on it, but it pops off easily when I want to remove the paper. I just spray a tiny amount on the back of the paper, and stick it down, let it set for a few seconds. I can imagine this being pretty darn good at gluing all sorts of things down though.

-- "That which has in itself the greatest use, possesses the greatest beauty." - http://www.willmego.com/

View Will Mego's profile

Will Mego

View BigFoot Products Canada's profile

BigFoot Products Canada

#1 posted 02-27-2009 03:39 AM

Hmmm SOunds like KRYLON Easy Tack. I use it all the time. It’s called repositionable glue.

View dsb1829's profile

dsb1829

#2 posted 02-27-2009 10:19 PM

Super77 will dry eventually. Even within an hour it will become much harder to remove the whole sheet. If you leave a sheet glued for a week be prepared to wet it and use a razor or scraper to pry it off.

I have used this for all kinds of stuff. I redid the upholstery in my 66 nova with that as the primary adhesive for cloth to the hardboard, mdf, and foam bases for door panels, arm rests, dashboard, rear deck. After several years I noticed no delamination or signs of it weakening. About the only complaint I have is to watch where it goes, because it sticks to everything :)

-- Doug, woodworking in Alabama

View 8iowa's profile

8iowa

#3 posted 02-27-2009 10:34 PM

I use 3M77 to adhere sandpaper to glass plated for sharpening.dry it works very well. Water however will loosen it, and it’s not too difficult to replace a worn sheet.

3M90 is much more permanent. If you use this adhesive you will have difficulty removing the paper from the glass

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"

View Matt's profile

Matt

#4 posted 03-05-2009 03:18 PM

Super 77 rocks. On the directions, for removing things later, I think you are suppose to spray the surface, let it dry for a while then apply the other surface. I have never tested that theory. I’ve used it on my CNC to ‘boost’ the holding power of carpet tape but still allow me to ‘pop’ the piece off my router’s table.

Good stuff.

-- Matt - My Websites - http://www.bestinwood.com - Hand Tools :: http://www.workshopgarage.com - Small Shops