Nova G3 lathe chuck

Review by PCorl posted 09-28-2015 01:40 PM 11479 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Average rating: 5.0
1 review total
Add my Review

Nova G3 lathe chuck No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently bought a Nova G3 chuck for my midi lathe. I am very impressed with the quality of this product. I did a YouTube video of the unboxing, assembly, impressions, and use of it. If you would like to view the video it is available at the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTBxQit8OY I hope you enjoy the video. This is the first chuck I have bought and am glad I chose the Nova. I also bought the optional pen jaws. Even with the one minor problem I mention in the video I still feel this product rates 5 stars.

View PCorl's profile

PCorl

View helluvawreck's profile (online now)

helluvawreck

#1 posted 09-28-2015 01:53 PM

Thanks for the video and chuck recommendation.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#2 posted 09-29-2015 12:19 AM

Nova makes a version of the G3 (Nova G3D) that is direct-threaded for 1” x 8tpi spindles. It is marketed as a Delta product (46-461)

View Rick_M's profile

Rick_M

#3 posted 09-30-2015 03:26 AM

Nicely done video. I ordered a G3 yesterday with 2 sets of jaws, will be a nice upgrade from my Midi.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View jeff's profile

jeff

#4 posted 10-01-2015 08:14 AM

I only own one chuck and its the Nova G3.I really like using it.I’m glad you like yours.

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View Charlieham42's profile

Charlieham42

#5 posted 10-04-2015 12:28 AM

I have only been turning for a few months, and the G3 is the only chuck I have. I have not had any problems with the chuck, it has done everything I expected. It seems to be of good quality, I am sell satisfied with it.

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

19622 posts in 2921 days

#6 posted 11-23-2016 10:04 PM

I use a Nova chuck at school and I find that it tightens backwards( counter clockwise) to my Grizzly chuck which is clockwise to tighten. The Grizzly chuck also opens wider for more range when holding spigots and mortises on your turned parts. You can also buy a variety of threaded bushings for the back of it to go on a 3/4”-16, 1”-8, 1 1/4”-8 and 1 1/2” -8. I use my same chuck on 4 lathes.
The Nova chuck holds well but I have had instances where students think they have tightened in their part only to find out that they hit the end of the travel on the chuck and the part came out when starting the lathe.

Does the G3 also tighten counter clockwise?

cheers, Jim

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#7 posted 11-24-2016 01:06 AM

Does the G3 also tighten counter clockwise?

All Nova chucks tighten counter clockwise.

We have OneWay Stronghold chucks on the lathes at our turning studio … they tighten backward to me (clockwise). I have 3 Nova chucks (2 – G3’s and an Infinity).