Grizzly Tablesaw

Review by conwaydog posted 1977 days ago 14977 views 1 time favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly Tablesaw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

OK, I finally pulled the trigger on a tablesaw. I have had this one in views for a few months. I did my countless hours of internet reviews as one should for such an item like this. I must admit I did see a few negative reviews, but most of which was the customer service from Grizzly. I have purchased two items previously (Bandsaw and dustcollector) and had minor problems. My bandsaw shipped with no visible damage to the boxes but when I opened the box up someone had slipped the fork from a forklift between the folding flapps and put a nice dent in the lower cabinet. I contacted Grizzly right away and emailed photos of the damage. They did remind me that I was to inspect the freight before signing the delivery ticket, but the damage was hidden from the exterior box. On a positive note for Grizzly, they did send me a new cabinet within a week. My dust collector – No Problem. I ordered the tablesaw on Sunday night and it was delivered on Wednesday. From my previous experience about damage, I made the driver hang around until all was opened and inspected. It took about an hour to put together and directions were straight forward. The saw works like a charm. No adjustments needed to the blade and very minor adjustments to square the fence. I would advise on any order to open the box and inspect before signing the tickets and note any damage that was found. I own 3 pieces of Grizzly Equipment and there is more in the headlights. Great tools and great prices. P.S. I read somewhere about a nickle test for vibration, the Grizzly passed the penny test. Start up, running and powering off. Yea, that smooth.

View Thos. Angle's profile

Thos. Angle

#1 posted 1977 days ago

I almost bought one of these but the Jet came with local service.

-- Thos. Angle, Jordan Valley, Oregon

View scarpenter002's profile

scarpenter002

#2 posted 1977 days ago

ConawayDog, I must ask, why only 3 1/2 stars? I did not see anything negative in your review.

I hope you enjoy your new saw.

-- Scott in Texas

View boyneskibum's profile

boyneskibum

76 posts in 2067 days

#3 posted 1977 days ago

I believe he rated it 5/5 (silver stars), but you are seeing the combined rating of this review and two others (the gold stars).

-- Always keep a stash of band-aids in your workshop!

#4 posted 1977 days ago

scarpenter002,

I rated it 5 stars (I hope). I think what you are looking at is the overall site review on this website for the saw. It looks like it has 2-5 star and 1-1 star review. So far, I have no complaints with Grizzly or there tools.

View scarpenter002's profile

scarpenter002

#5 posted 1977 days ago

Thanks for the clarificaton. I feel like a rookie….

-- Scott in Texas

View Chris Davis's profile

Chris Davis

#6 posted 1977 days ago

I’ve had the right tilt version for may years. I wish I would have bought the left tilt. I did have some problems about one of the gears that lower and raise the blade not close enough, but they send a modified gear to make the clearance tighter. I do have to replace the arbor barrings about once a year, but other than that I love it.

I replace my fence with the 52” version. I would suggest that to anyone that has the room for it. With the bigger fence and a support table you can cut any size on you table saw.

-- Watch live video from our shop. http://wwbeds.com/live.htm

View DaveH's profile

DaveH

#7 posted 1977 days ago

Did the saw come with a riving knife? I’ve heard all the new models have them.

-- DaveH - Boise, Idaho - “How hard can it be? It's only wood!”

View rj2001xl's profile

rj2001xl

2 posts in 1976 days

#8 posted 1976 days ago

Cool saw. I’ve been eyeing this saw and the G0691 for quite some time now and I’m dying to ask you a question. Why did you choose the 1023 over the 0691? I can’t figure out the difference between these 2 saws as it seems to be worth the extra $100 to get a better blade guard, dust collection, and quick release riving knife.

Thanks,

RJ

#9 posted 1975 days ago

rj,

The saw was on sale plus free shipping. I would of liked the riving knife but I think the difference was more around 300. I figured I was treading on thin ice with the warden at 1k. (lol) The blade guard may be better but one looks as good as the other, on the shelf. And the dust collection seems to work fine.

View 1banger's profile

1banger

12 posts in 1975 days

#10 posted 1975 days ago

I have had this saw for 3 months now and it is solid as a rock. I came from a bosch contractor saw and
the difference is night and day. Cuts through hard maple like butter. I am using a Woodworker II blade
for all of my ripping and cross cutting. For just under 1000.00 I don’t think you can do much better.

-- BarryR Virginia

View Steve's profile

Steve

#11 posted 1974 days ago

jarrod, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the SLW with the router extension. I would really like to hear your opinion. Particularly the router extension.

-- Steve - kingwood, Texas

View Homers's profile

Homers

42 posts in 2006 days

#12 posted 1974 days ago

I’m a new member to LumberJocks and just came across this posting. I have quite a few Grizzly tools now and I have to tell you, after comparing fit and finish and feature and function, Grizzly usually delivers a better price point than all the other big brand names. I have a Tablesaw, Bandsaw, Drill press, Dust collector, Jointer, and Stationary sanding station. I think it’s funny that the guys at the local woodworking speciality store snub their noses at me when I say I own a Grizzly but you know what, after 8 years I’ve had no issues with any of these tools. While there’s a lot to be said for local service center access if there’s no issues….then there’s no issues. Any time I have called the Grizzly support line with a question, they’ve been more than gracious in their approach to help. All in all, I shop Grizzly first now.

-- Homers / Murphy, TX

#13 posted 1974 days ago

I’ve got a DC, Spiral Jointer nad Spiral planer. The are all great tools.

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5367 posts in 1972 days

#14 posted 1972 days ago

Hi Conwaydog – I’ve been enjoying the Shop Fox W1677 since July 2008. It’s essentially a 1023SL painted white, and have had an new aftermarket riving knife on it called a “BORK” (Bolt On Ripping Knife). It’s designed and made by a fellow woodworker named Bob Ross from Walnutacre Woodworking. There are some obvious design obstacles because it’s a retrofit to an existing saw design, but once installed and fitted with a ZCI, it really works quite well. It’s mounted in close promixity behind the blade, and travels up, down, and tilts with the blade the way a traditional riving knife does. The biggest difference is that the saw’s arbor pivots when raised and lowered, so the BORK travels in a slight arc as opposed to straight up and down.

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/BORK.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/RivingKnife2.jpg[/IMG]

Enjoy your saw…

View Mark Shymanski's profile

Mark Shymanski

#15 posted 1972 days ago

Thanks for the review. More food for thought….

-- "Checking for square? What madness is this! The cabinet is square because I will it to be so!" Jeremy Greiner LJ Topic#20953 2011 Feb 2