Evapo-Rust Remover Works Great in 1 Hour

Review by AbenakiMan posted 2007 days ago 8245 views 3 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Evapo-Rust Remover Works Great in 1 Hour Evapo-Rust Remover Works Great in 1 Hour Evapo-Rust Remover Works Great in 1 Hour Click the pictures to enlarge them

Wow. This stuff worked every bit as good as advertised!! A very generous friend of mine gave me a 9 1/2 Stanley plane that did not sell in the estate auction he held recently. Knowing I’m building my shop and having already bought a #4 Stanley plane from him, he gave me this completely rusted plane that needed some love and care. After doing some research on the web I came across this product and thought I would give it a try. I placed the disassembled plane in a baggy and poured in the Evapo-Rust and walked away for an hour. When I came back it was completely clean. No muss no fuss, no harmful chemicals and easy on the hands and no fould smell or danger from using the product. This old plane is now ready for some tuning, sharpening and polishing and will be ready for work. If you want to see 15 pictures of the before and after go to my Workshop.

#1 posted 2007 days ago

Sorry guys, due to the limted space for pictures on the workshop space I’ll be putting these pictures as a project of mine.

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

#2 posted 2007 days ago

Sweet. I’ve used citric acid in the past and I was waiting for a review before ponying up $9 to try this stuff. Thanks!

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View scarpenter002's profile

scarpenter002

#3 posted 2007 days ago

AbenakiMan, It looks interesting. Where did you buy this product and if at one of the big box stores, what department?

Thanks.

-- Scott in Texas

#4 posted 2006 days ago

I might try this on one of my crosscut saws.

Click on the help button on the bottom of the LJs page,

& you can learn how to embed pictures here.

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

#5 posted 2006 days ago

Scarpenter, O’Reilly Auto Parts has it and Lee Valley catalog sells it. Let’s see where Abenakiman gets his.

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

#6 posted 2006 days ago

Doug,

I reviewed this product a year ago, well minus 1 day, I’m sad that you missed it! It is a great product and if you didn’t know you can re-use it until it starts to change color. After that, it will tint the metal the same color.

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

#7 posted 2006 days ago

Thanks Doug,

We have a new O’Reilly store that recently opened here.

View Will Mego's profile

Will Mego

#8 posted 2006 days ago

Just to echo everybody, this is great stuff, I’ve refinished 4 stanley planes, some files, etc using this stuff…also should be noted it’s non-toxic, and can be disposed of in a normal sewer system!

-- "That which has in itself the greatest use, possesses the greatest beauty." - http://www.willmego.com/

#9 posted 2006 days ago

Does the temperature affect the use of it?

Do you wash it off with a water hose?

I got my answers here.

#10 posted 2006 days ago

Thanks for the info. I’ve got a few plane that I’ve picked up and thet need some TLC.

#11 posted 2005 days ago

scarpenter002 – I tried to use the www.evaporust.com site but their shopping cart leaves a bit to be desired so I ultimately bought mine from Amazon who got it from evaporust. I paid 10.95 for the 32 oz bottle + S/H.

Dick & Barb Cain – The instructions on the bottle indicate either washing it off with water or letting it air dry to give it some rust inhibitor residue and there’s no mention of the temperature having any effect on it. When I used it we were having a 34 degree day here in Carrollton, Texas. Also, if the rust doesn’t come right off soak it a little longer. No scrubbing is really needed at all as the solution does ALL THE WORK.

#12 posted 2005 days ago

I just discovered this on utube.

View maddog1947216's profile

maddog1947216

#13 posted 2005 days ago

This helped me also as I never heard of this stuff in my short time woodworking and the comments helped as well thanks for doing the new post. In my unheated shop I get a bit of rust sometimes even with all the care I give my equipment and lots of the T-9 but that can be expensive and the nozzles clog up if left in unheated areas.

Jack

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2382 posts in 2064 days

#14 posted 2002 days ago

I had a number 4 Stanley plane that had a lot of rust on it. I Just picked up a quart of this stuff from Autozone ($8.95). I disassembled the plane and soaked it for a few hours. Amazing that the rust disappeared and the metal looked blackened. The black stuff rinsed off in the sink. After reassembling the plane, flattening it, and sharpening it on my smartsharp, I put the edge of a pine board in my vise and it was such a pleasure, I took an inch off the board one thin 24” ribbon at a time. This stuff is really worth it. Right now some long neck chisels without handles that I purchased long ago from an old boat builder on the Maine coast where I live are soaking. These chisels are maybe 60-100 years old and are really, really hard as I found out when trying to sharpen one awhile back. With Evaporust, and some new handles I’ll make, I’m hoping to resurrect them.

Geesh, I just reread what I wrote. I sound like a commercial for the stuff.

View Woodshopfreak's profile

Woodshopfreak

#15 posted 1999 days ago

That is awesome. I should get some of that to clean my dad’s old plane. I have taken everything else too it, and occasionally I have to sand the rust off, which is a pain, and then I have metal dust all over my hands that smells nasty, and takes like a week to clean off.

-- Tyler, Illinois