No bugs in my shop

Review by oldnovice posted 09-21-2015 12:06 AM 12722 views 0 times favorited 30 comments Add to Favorites Watch
No bugs in my shop No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I installed two of the Feit two tube LED shop lights in my garage shop and they are much better than a comparable fluorescent light fixture. These shop lights are not described on the Feit Web site which makes me believe that these are Costco specials.

These lights come on instantly and are much brighter than my two 150 watt fluorescent lamps. Obviously there is no hum. These are cool white and no UV content so bugs will not be attracted which is important in a garage shop!

The only thing wrong, at least in my opinion, is the supplied mounting hardware. Supplied are two wire hangers that are supposed to be spaced at 45.09” apart. These wire hangers have a loop on one end and a grooved barrel that fit into keyhole slots on the top of the fixture. There is no friction or snap in feature for these barrels on fixture and they can slip out very easily; not secure for a shop light with a pull chain or in earthquake country.

I went the typical mounting method, S hooks and chains, much better in my opinion. Using the chain method I can also relocate the lights as needed.

A review on the Web
Provides many technical details, including a tear down showing the inner working, that were not in the product description with the purchase or on the Feit Web site.

View Tomoose's profile

Tomoose

#1 posted 09-21-2015 03:11 AM

Thanks for the review. I have six of these in my 10×20 shop and they are a huge improvement over my old, flickering fluorescents. I didnt know about the bug deal, but you are right about the mounting wires.

Thanks,
Tom

-- “I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.” Pablo Picasso

View jonah's profile

jonah

#2 posted 09-21-2015 05:31 AM

I just hooked an s hook into mine. I think I might have had to drill a small hole, but I can’t quite remember.

#3 posted 09-21-2015 11:03 AM

I love these two. My recollection was that the barrel was pretty secure in the fixture, and I like them better than the chains on my old ones.

#4 posted 09-21-2015 03:33 PM

I need to look at these because in the cold temperature my fluorescent lights do not come on.
Thank you for the review.

#5 posted 09-21-2015 03:42 PM

I looked this morning and mine are locked in tight. I couldn’t take the cable out without taking the light down and using two hands:

View loupitou06's profile

loupitou06

#6 posted 09-21-2015 06:53 PM

I have one just above my table saw – great lights – to solve your issue, I cut a pencil (love the IKEA ones for this task) and insert it to the hole after inserting the barrel – doesn’t move any more !

Hope this helps

-- 100 fois sur le metier remettez votre ouvrage

#7 posted 09-21-2015 08:37 PM

Charles, yours are different than mine, the key holes on my lamps run along the length of the fixture and one of them is double ended.
I could not get a tight fit into those openings so instead of trying to get a tighter fit I just went the S hook and chain method like I used on my fluorescent lamps in my old basement shop in Illinois.

Wouldn’t mind a shop that size again but that’s another story!

#8 posted 09-21-2015 08:49 PM

That makes more sense, then, since I had to really work to get mine seated and they are in tight.

Wouldn t mind a shop that size again but that s another story!

- oldnovice

View AandCstyle's profile

AandCstyle

2855 posts in 2035 days

#9 posted 09-21-2015 09:55 PM

I have these as well. My ceiling is only 8’ so instead of hanging them I removed the tubes and screwed the metal holder to the ceiling rafters then reinstalled the tubes. I have 6 in my 19’x27’ shop and I am happy with the brightness.

-- Art

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#10 posted 09-22-2015 12:53 AM

I have four sets that I have yet to hang. I notice the cable being loose in the fixture. Figured I would tape in place. Various options to keep in place. Bought one set from Costco and three from another source. All four are identical units. I had twin ballast four tube fixture to hang, but too damn heavy to get up to my 10 ft ceiling. Love the light weight easily handled one handed.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View jeff's profile

jeff

#11 posted 09-22-2015 05:36 AM

Thx for posting this and the review.I have a few spots in my shop that need a little extra lighting so next time at Costco I will check them out.

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

#12 posted 09-22-2015 07:30 PM

Can you guys give a bit more info on these lights. I would love better lights in my shops than the regular fluorescents

-- Larry in Hawaii,

#13 posted 09-22-2015 08:09 PM

Hawaiilad, I think the link in my opening post cover about everything technical there is to say about these shop lights.

From the users above, and my perspective, these are pretty darn good shop lights for the money.

These lights do not have replaceable tube like fluorescent fixtures but you won’t have to replace them as quickly or as often as fluorescent either.

My main reasons for for buying these were cost ~$38, lower power consumption, more light, and there lack of UV in the emitted light (my shop is in the garage and I did not want to attract flying bugs).

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#14 posted 09-22-2015 08:44 PM

I am reading that people get frustrated with LED since thy may have expectancy of 22 years, they go bad at random… Like circuitry goes out. And, more costly to send to manufacture for replacement than they are worth. However, I am going toward LED throughout hose… Eventually. Bought 2 of these shop lights at Costco, but they were out when I went back for two more… Bought those at Amazon. Tech specs same as:

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

#15 posted 09-22-2015 10:43 PM

I hadn’t paid any attention to the way the “bulbs” worked. Thanks for that review link.