Carter Stabilizer

Review by GaryCN posted 02-22-2009 04:48 AM 5683 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Carter Stabilizer Carter Stabilizer Carter Stabilizer Click the pictures to enlarge them

My band saw is far from top of the line but this one item has improved it greatly.
Had I not seen it demonstrated at a wood show I would not have paid the approx $70
price. The lower guide is removed when using this. I can scroll cut shapes that I
would never have tried with this saw.

-- Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

View GaryCN's profile

GaryCN

#1 posted 02-22-2009 05:44 AM

I’ve seen them at the show but never used them. They really seem to push them

View tooldad's profile

tooldad

#2 posted 02-22-2009 07:44 AM

We are ordering them for the school shop. Woodline is good to deal with. They are based out of Nashville. Supposedly by not rubbing the back of the blade on the side guides it reduces wear on the blade thus extending life. My kids twist them blades every which direction, then try to back out. That is where most of our breakage comes from is the kids backing out of curved cuts even though my partner and I stress not to do that. Thanks for the review.

View pitchnsplinters's profile

pitchnsplinters

#3 posted 02-22-2009 03:36 PM

Great to see an average saw can be given a boost of performance.

-- Just 'cause a cat has kittens in the oven, it don't make 'em biscuits.

View tpastore's profile

tpastore

#4 posted 02-23-2009 04:52 AM

Just bought one at the show in Boston this weekend. Looking forward to trying it on a “bowl from a board” project I am working on.

View Kevin's profile

Kevin

#5 posted 02-23-2009 06:01 AM

I just bought one at the Kansas City show. Haven’t got to try it out yet though.

Glad to hear that it works.

-- Kevin, Wichita, Kansas

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2093 days

#6 posted 02-23-2009 06:23 AM

I just saw a Mini Max bandsaw video where they recommend it for blades under 1/4” on their machines. If it works good for them it probably works for other brands.

View reible's profile

reible

#7 posted 02-23-2009 07:23 AM

Hi,

I have both sets of carter guides and they made a new machine out of my early 70’s machine. Of course they cost a lot but I’m guessing less then a new band saw would have cost me. I like the performance and the quiet.

The only negative I have is that they the company doesn’t answer emails. I was trying to figure out which set would fit and got no reply to my question, had a problem when I got them and no reply and again when again when I found my guard wouldn’t work anymore (had to make my design and build my own) and then again when I tried to ask about this type of guide and if it would work on my machine. Why they offer the email option I don’t know just expect to call them.

I had a friend who recommended them to me but I put off getting them for about 10 years… shouldn’t have waited, he was right they are great.

-- Knight of the Shopsmith

View odie's profile

odie

#8 posted 05-12-2009 03:35 PM

UPDATE ... This thing works great on a Rikon Deluxe 14” bandsaw too. I use it with a 1/8” blade from Olson and it cuts like a dream. It completely takes the stresses off of the side of the blade as with normal guides.

-- Odie, Confucius say, "He who laughs at one's self is BUTT of joke". http://woodstermangotwood.blogspot.com/ (my funny blog)

#9 posted 05-12-2009 05:42 PM

Good reveiw most interesting

View GaryCN's profile

GaryCN

#10 posted 05-14-2009 03:23 PM

The Magazine American Woodworker spotlites this guide in the June/July 2009 issue on page 19. Our pick of the latest tools.

-- Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati