Freud 2 1/4 HP Variable Speed Router Model FT1700VCE

Review by Straightpiped posted 02-21-2009 03:23 AM 7820 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Freud 2 1/4 HP Variable Speed Router Model FT1700VCE Freud 2 1/4 HP Variable Speed Router Model FT1700VCE No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Just got this in the mail. Haven’t had a chance to use it yet. I wanted to get this up before the Woodcraft sale went away. $99 with free shipping. This is my second router, my first is a Black and Decker plunge router. This router appears to be quality built. Smooth base adjustment with two different style adjustment knobs that can be switched. Both 1/4” and 1/2” collets. Adjustable speed from 10,000-23,000 RPM. Also comes with a nice case, which is a huge bonus to me. Has a device to hook up to a Dust Collection source. Even comes with the screws to mount it in a table.

I am sure I will enjoy this router for some time.

-- T. Nelson

View Straightpiped's profile

Straightpiped

View pitchnsplinters's profile

pitchnsplinters

#1 posted 02-21-2009 03:27 AM

You will have to let us know how it performs once you start making sawdust.

-- Just 'cause a cat has kittens in the oven, it don't make 'em biscuits.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#2 posted 02-21-2009 06:09 PM

I also purchased one of these but haven’t had a chance to do anything with it yet other than mount in a plate for my router table. Please keep us informed and thanks for the post!!!

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View gbvinc's profile

gbvinc

#3 posted 02-22-2009 03:28 AM

My brother and I each picked up one of these about a month ago and have been quite pleased with it. The soft start and variable speed under load make for a smooth handling router. No problems with it so far.

View framergp's profile

framergp

#4 posted 02-22-2009 06:57 AM

I just purchase the combo fix and plunge base freud Model FT1700VCE router from Home Depot for $99.00. Runs great.

View Todd Thomas 's profile

Todd Thomas

#5 posted 02-22-2009 12:24 PM

For $99 for the combo…I had to feed my addiction….haven’t tried it out yet…..keep us posted..

-- Todd, Oak Ridge, TN, Hello my name is Todd and I'm a Toolholic, I bought my last tool 10 days, no 4 days, oh heck I bought a tool on the way here! †

View Tony Z's profile

Tony Z

#6 posted 02-23-2009 03:52 AM

I picked one of these up for my router table and I love it. I had a problem with the height adjustment button and I contacted Freud about it. They sent me out replacement parts 3 days later no questions asked. Great customer service.

-- Tony, Ohio

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#7 posted 02-23-2009 03:59 AM

Tony, what was wrong with the height adjustment button???

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View klpete45's profile

klpete45

#8 posted 02-23-2009 05:09 AM

congrats on the new tool. Being a newby on LJ, I have a question about ratings – if you haven’t used it yet, how does it get a 5 star rating? Are there previous ratings by others that result in this rating? Thanks

-- Klpete45, Oklahoma

View Tony Z's profile

Tony Z

#9 posted 02-24-2009 12:11 AM

John,
The lock button kept slipping when I tried to raise the collet out of the table to change bits. The new internal parts they sent for the button fit a lot tighter and the problem was solved.

-- Tony, Ohio

View wayner's profile

wayner

#10 posted 02-24-2009 05:49 AM

Great router and a great price I got the fixed and plunge base
with case at Lowes for $99.00

-- Wayne, Kentucky

View Straightpiped's profile

Straightpiped

#11 posted 02-24-2009 05:10 PM

Sounds like Home Depot and Lowes has a little better deal, Woodcraft is fixed base only.

-- T. Nelson

#12 posted 12-14-2010 08:22 PM

5 stars for me too. The full above-the-table adjustmsnts sold me. This is actaully a 13 amp router, and may be under rated at 2.25 hp. Very smooth, very powerful router. I use it in my table with great success, however it is a nice hand router too.

View woodchipper63's profile

woodchipper63

#13 posted 10-02-2011 02:43 AM

Does anyone have a remedy for a slipping plunge clutch on a Freud VCE1700?