I finally got my DC man it sucks

Review by Jim posted 02-19-2009 04:31 AM 7203 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I finally got my DC man it sucks I finally got my DC man it sucks I finally got my DC man it sucks Click the pictures to enlarge them

I ordered my Penn State 1 1/2 hp “Dustroyer” a week ago Sunday and I finally got it today. I was home with a “sick” 2 year old that when I asked if he wanted to go out to the shop he grabbed his coat. He helped me set it up witch took about an hour would have been less time with less help. The directions stink. I had to stick it in the addition until mommy came home and it stands 92” tall so it has to be lined up justright in the shop to fit. This evening I hooked up 2- 4” flex hoses and ran it into the shop. slapped on a couple of blast gates and tried it out. this thing is rated at 1250 cfm and it works great. It is 110 volts and alot quieter than my shop vac. when in the addition on the other side of an insulated wall it is really quiet. I am going to put in a more permanent main line when I figure out how I want to do it. I am very happy with it so far this weekend I will try it with the planer I am sure it will do fine.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#1 posted 02-19-2009 05:32 AM

thats one big filter bag… NICE. what is the filtration rate on this one?

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

#2 posted 02-19-2009 05:40 AM

I just got my own DC just the other day—but I think there’s a lot of information to read and figure on before getting too far into it. At least it appear like you have a separate area, my shop is the garage right below the bedrooms in my house. Proper DC is a very important thing.

#3 posted 02-19-2009 05:51 AM

it comes with 1 micron bags. I looked at a lot of them and settled on the PSI it was right at $304 shipped.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#4 posted 02-19-2009 05:58 AM

Good deal! Remember you need to beat the top bag (with the unit off) every once in a while. It cleans out the dust from the pores in the bag.

#5 posted 02-19-2009 01:51 PM

From what I read on Bill’s big cyclone site – the 1 micron bags don’t stay that way forever. They eventually end up letting the dust thru—and capturing a majority of it before the unit is a very good idea. I’m working on a cyclone variation for mine to avoid putting garbage through the impeller as well as capturing fine dust. I’m going to switch to a pleated filter (more surface area and better filtering capability). After you use yours a few times, go and turn on a big worklight and then see if you don’t get a “poof” out of it. I was rather dismayed after all that I read and have researched. If you are using any duct work be sure it’s 6 inch to keep the flow rate up. I’m going to have to have a heart to heart talk with my dad with his 2 1/2 inch duct work and his little Shopsmith DC3300. :-(

View SteveMO's profile

SteveMO

#6 posted 02-19-2009 03:01 PM

Jim,
What model is it and where did you order ir from? I’m comparing brands and looking to add a DC to my workshop. Thanks for any info. I guess I’m blinded by dust. I see the model in your post.

View oakdust's profile

oakdust

#7 posted 02-19-2009 07:29 PM

I bought a Duracraft DC at the local Farm & Fleet for $199.00 it is rated at 1250 1 1/2 HP but it has a 5 micron bag. Looks like the Penn State but a different color, seems to be good so far and I added the Jet seperator garbage can lid. Jim is reight, there is no comparison to a shop vac for noise level and sucking power.

-- Bob, Rockford IL,

#8 posted 02-19-2009 08:08 PM

Congratulations on the purchase. I’ve got a grizzly and I added a pleated canister on top. It’s was advertised by grizzly asa replacement filter for another of the DC’s I called and asked and yes it would fit mine.

The cannister and a plastic bag on the bottom has really stopped a lot of dust from floating around in the air.

#9 posted 02-20-2009 12:58 AM

I bought it right from Penn State Industries. It was $259.95. I had a $10 coupon and shipping was $60 I looked at a lot of them and it was actually cheaper than the Jet I looked at locally.

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

#10 posted 02-20-2009 02:12 AM

Great DC. I have one just like it from Grizzly and it has all the suction I need. Good choice.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View SteveMO's profile

SteveMO

#11 posted 02-20-2009 11:25 AM

Thanks Jim. I’m off to their website.

View itsme_timd's profile

itsme_timd

#12 posted 02-20-2009 08:47 PM

Nice! That’s one big machine.

On a side note – I have a PSI lathe and while I like my lathe, the instructions for that sucked horribly.

-- Tim D. - Woodstock, GA

View mmh's profile

mmh

#13 posted 02-25-2009 03:47 PM

New toy! How noisey are these compared to a 3hp – 5hp shop vac? Space is limited, as I’m sure everyone has this issue, and the shop vacs fit under the workbenches or between them, but it sure would be nice to have a professional set up.

-- "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

#14 posted 02-25-2009 04:05 PM

I can attest to that noise level—I will get a definite reading tonight on my vacuum versus my dust collector but I’d imagine there would be at least a 6+ db difference, or as much as half as loud. It’s quite difficult to talk over the shop vac (it’s a small one, but still LOUD) and with the dust collector on I was able talk over it.

#15 posted 02-25-2009 09:15 PM

I don’t have a DB meter but can tell you its a whole lot quieter than my 5hp shop vac. it takes up alot more room than just a shop vac but with my shop vac/ seperator set up it only takes a few more inches horizontal and about 93” tall