Freud LU87R010 10” thin kerf 24 tooth rip blade ROCKS!!!

Review by klpete45 posted 02-19-2009 01:26 AM 6369 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Freud LU87R010 10” thin kerf 24 tooth rip blade ROCKS!!! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this blade last year when I had a considerable quantity of rough-cut walnut to process. My saw at that time was a Ryobi BT3000. While it did manage to rip full 2”thick boards with a 40 tooth combo blade, it did struggle and left a lot of burn marks. So I did a little internet research and settled on the Freud blade since the manufacturer claimed “This blade gives new life to underpowered table saws…..”and the fact that I could get it online for under $50 made it hard to resist. I frequently am disappointed by product claims, but not in this case. The blade made an incredible difference in the capabilities of the BT3000. Nominal, well dried lumber cut like butter – the thick walnut was no effort. I was so excited, I pulled out a full 2” red oak board and ripped a 2” strip from it – it required a slower feed rate, but it cut it cleanly and (relatively speaking) quickly. Several months prior I had broken a belt on the saw trying to rip this same oak board. The edges are extremely smooth and I can’t think of a single down side to this blade. I now have a Ridgid 3660 and use the LU87R010 on it exclusively when I am ripping. I assume that this blade puts less strain on the motor thus extending its life. I suppose the most positive endorsement I can make is that I would gladly purchase this blade again. If your saw is underpowered or marginal, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this blade. This is my first review, I hope it is helpful.

-- Klpete45, Oklahoma

View klpete45's profile

klpete45

15 posts in 2046 days

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

#1 posted 02-19-2009 01:52 AM

Ditto! This is a great blade.

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

#2 posted 02-19-2009 03:19 AM

Been using it for a while myself. No complaints. I’ve only had an issue once, and that was more a problem with the wood than the blade or saw.

-- Jeff, South Carolina

View Francisco Luna's profile

Francisco Luna

936 posts in 2045 days

#3 posted 02-19-2009 06:53 PM

What a difference! I really like FREUD blades, they are well constructed, I have not tried thin kerf ones yet but some day I will…...they offer stiffeners for thin kerf blades that improve still more the performance.

-- Nature is my manifestation of God. I go to nature every day for inspiration in the day's work. I follow in building the principles which nature has used in its domain" Frank Lloyd Wright

View hokieman's profile

hokieman

#4 posted 02-21-2009 04:35 PM

I used this blade with my old 1 1/2 hp table saw to rip 8/4 maple for my workbench top. It was slow going but it got the job done. I have since upgraded to a 3 hp saw (steel city) and I don’t need the thin kerf blade with that saw but the thin kerf blade is great if you are a bit limited on saw hp.

View bandman's profile

bandman

79 posts in 2041 days

#5 posted 02-22-2009 06:19 AM

I’ve used this freud blade to rip rough stock and survey stake material (white oak). It has served me well
through multiple sharpenings.

-- Phil

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5453 posts in 2027 days

#6 posted 02-27-2009 03:17 PM

I’ve been happy with my LU87 also. It’s been one of the best, if not THE best, 24T TK rippers I’ve used. I bought it for my 1-3/4hp Craftsman 22124, and it did a nice job ripping thick wood without much effort. I now have a 3hp saw that has plenty of power to spin a full kerf blade. I’ll be keeping eyes peeled on the right deal to grab a full kerf ripper, but I’m in no hurry.

View BigFoot Products Canada's profile

BigFoot Products Canada

620 posts in 2044 days

#7 posted 02-27-2009 03:23 PM

Thin kerf blades cut cown on waste. At least that’s why I use them. Especially when your cutting exotic woods. I think that’s the only reason they ever designed them (not for a hp issue)??
I’ve not used this particular blade but I’ll try one now, because of your reviews. Thanks for sharing.

View peerawit's profile

peerawit

12 posts in 1942 days

#8 posted 06-12-2009 03:27 PM

The Freud Thin Kerf Blade LU87R010 Freud is impressive. I have Porter Cable 3812 portable table saw and what a difference, WOW! He had a knife cheaper for her and she stayed in my thin materials such as 3 / 4 “pine, but Freud ripping blade 2 action as butter. I saw this in a position of Rousseau with the bureau, which I recommend. The State makes the saw safer to use and gives you more room to work to rip full sheets of plywood, panels, etc and can be himself, which is nice. In my 27 years in the construction and purchase of tools I’ve learned that if you buy cheap cheap, so if you want good quality, then you have to spend more money, but at the end of the ride worthwhile.

-- http://www.mintpowertool.com