Very Nice Dovetail Saw

Review by Mike Lingenfelter posted 2403 days ago 2966 views 1 time favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Very Nice Dovetail Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I love the feel of this saw. The grip is comfortable in my large hand. The saw has a nice “heavy” feel to it. The saw cuts straight and true. It has a rip tooth configuration, with a narrow set. The narrow set helps the saw cut straight, once your cut is started. Once I figured out how to start my cuts, with a light touch push stroke, cutting became very easy. Although, I still have some work to do on my dovetail joints :).

www.lie-nielsen.com

Mike Lingenfelter

Great looking saw. Have you sharpened it?

Mike Lingenfelter

No sharpening yet. I’ve used it quite a bit, but it’s still very sharp. I talked with a couple people about sharpening the saw, and they say it could be a couple years before I need to sharpen it. I might try and do it myself when it needs it, but Lie-Nielsen will do it for $15.

View Dorje's profile

Dorje

Now that’s a dovetail saw! It’s on my list. Along with the tenon saws and the carcass saws!

-- Dorje (pronounced "door-jay"), Seattle, WA

Mike Lingenfelter

The tenon and carcass saw are on my list too. After spending the money on the #7 Jointer, the saws will have to wait a little while.

View Dorje's profile

Dorje

Yeah – the saws will be waiting a while for me too! I’m in a rare tool buying limbo…I think that’s a good thing. I know they don’t last forever!

-- Dorje (pronounced "door-jay"), Seattle, WA

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

So it cuts on the push?

Mike Lingenfelter

Traditional Western saws do work on the push stroke. A lot of people start their cut with a pull saw. I did this for a long time too. After watching a Rob Cosman DVD on Dovetailing, he teaches to start on the push stroke. You have to have a light touch to do this, but now that I have the hang of it, it works much better. The key I have found to using this saw, is a very light grip and to let the weight of the saw do the work. Anytime I find my cut binding or it just isn’t cutting smoothly, I find I’m really gripping the saw too tight. This was an ah-ha moment for me.

Thanks for the review Mike. I should be getting one of these next week. I have been struggling with dovetails for awhile now and tried the cheap saw route. But, being stubborn, I decided that if this venture was going to be successful I had better invest in a quality saw. So we shall see how it goes.

By the way your review helped swing me over to the Lie-Nielsen side.

Mike Lingenfelter

I still love this saw. I will tell you, I have learned that new saws do need to be broken in. They really start to cut even better, after they have been used for a little while. I think after you start to knock off the burrs that are caused by sharpening, the saw starts to cut even smoother. So run it through it’s paces a little before tyring to cut some nice dovetails.

Mike,

I have no illusions about being successful in cutting dovetails right out of the box but I would not have thought about this.

Thanks for the tip.

View Texasgaloot's profile

Texasgaloot

Mike

I have the same saw, made by a sawmaker friend who later sold the patterns to LN. I also have the carcass saw (both serial numbers match—repeat three times: I am NOT a collector…) I also like the English pattern saws (some swear by the Japanese, but it’s an individual choice thing.) I love these saws! They seem to operate themselves. Great comments and good summary!

-- There's no tool like an old tool...

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19378 posts in 2477 days

Great looking saw but sharpening is a bit of an issue.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

Mike Lingenfelter

Texasgaloot – so you have some original Independence Tool saws? That is cool, and you know Pete and Patrick ? Maybe even cooler :). I just bought the Carcass and large Tenon saw, for a class I’m taking soon. I just got them in, so I haven’t had a chanced to give them a test run, maybe this weekend. I’ll admit I haven’t tried a Japanese saw yet, but they will have to be amazing saws to out perform these saws. So, yes I think it does come down to personal choice.

Grumpy – Why do you think sharpening is an issue? I haven’t taught myself that skill yet, but Lie-Nielsen will resharpen them for $15. They don’t need to be resharpened that often, so I don’t see it as an issue.

View Kennyg's profile

Kennyg

Grumpy you want an issue try sharpening an japanese saw, then you can talk about issues. Like Schwarz would say, “It would be easier to Poop Cupcakes.”

View Kennyg's profile

Kennyg

I wouldn’t recommend it to a new sawyer, but I have the L-N thin plate Dovetail saw and if my wife would allow it I would take it to bed with me so when I dream about cutting dovetails I could have it in my hand.