Couldn't be happier

Review by David posted 08-27-2015 09:58 PM 16392 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Couldn't be happier No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Since I was younger, I have always had the woodworking bug. Well, for my 41st birthday, my Wife decided to buy me a saw so I could learn the craft/hobby. Initially, we were looking at the portable saws like in HomeDept, Lowes, etc. I do not have a dedicated shop, as we park our cars in the garage, so portability was a concern and consequently, I was looking for as much saw as I could fit with the smallest footprint and one that I could afford. I looked at new, used, Craigslist…all over. We went to Rockler, Woodcraft, local tool stores, read, read and read some more. My wife comes to me one days with an ad in Craigslist, and the poster claiming to work for Laguna with floor/display models for sale. Thinking no way, I didn’t call the number listed in the ad, but called Laguna themselves, and was transferred to the person…wholly *&%!! We spoke for about 15 mins, hung up the phone and began to read reviews, everywhere, including here. Needless to say, I was worried, but the complaints most had was the customer service, not the machines.

Called Laguna back, made arrangements for the pickup, and took the day off from work. The saw was packaged in three packages and all were packaged well. No visible damage to the anything at all. The one larger box was the saw, the long package is the fence and rails and the third were the wings.

The assembly was relatively easy and took about 2-3 hours. The hardest part, getting it out of the wife’s minivan. This thing is HEAVY, at least for one person (wife said “I bought it, you move it” LOL!!) The manual for setup was enough to get the job done, I say that, because I wasn’t familiar with the terms that were used, but hey, that’s what Google is for. Once I had everything together, this saw functions with no issues. The machined wings are dead flat and highly polished. I applied some wax to them for protection and to allow the wood to slide a bit easier.

The saw is better than what I could have hoped for. The fence functions great. The wheels function and allows me to move the saw to the middle of the garage after I pull the cars out. The extra space on the right side wing, I installed an extension wing I made for my router and have had no problems with any portion of the saw. After using it for about 2 weeks, I called Laguna to inquire about a zero clearance insert, and was shocked at the price, so hello YouTube! Matthias Wandel has a great video (actually all are great) and in no time at all, I had my zero clearance insert.

With dust collection, all I have right now is my shop vac and a cyclone, so I don’t have the best results, if much. So I need to clean out the “cabinet” often. Well, guess who had a surprise the first time, me! Inside the cabinet were 2 other inserts, one for dados and another zero clearance, how lucky is that!

The most substantial wood that I have cut is 6/4 walnut, and resawing walnut (5”) with no problems. Can I feed the wood fast? I can feed it as fast as I feel comfortable, which is fine for me, I haven’t had it mess up or burn or even seem to want to give up. Everything comes out great and I couldn’t be happier. I have made a few things with the saw, 2 are posted here on LJ’s, and have no complaints.

View Brady's profile

Brady

#1 posted 08-28-2015 02:26 PM

I have one of these and love it. The only issue I have has nothing to do with the saw but the measly 15 amp circuit that feeds the garage. I have to be very careful not to force wood or dado anything over 1/4”. Any more than that and the saw trips the breaker.

Other than that, this is a fantastic saw. I put a router table on the wing and it works great. Plenty of room for large rips without having to move the router or router fence.

-- Brady, Texas, http://www.MonicaCharlesDesigns.com

View Drew's profile

Drew

#2 posted 08-28-2015 06:34 PM

If it was a floor/display model why was it in 3 boxes and “packaged well”?

-- TruCraftFurniture.com

#3 posted 08-28-2015 06:41 PM

If it was a floor/display model why was it in 3 boxes and “packaged well”?

- Drew

Sir,

It was re-packaged/wrapped. The wings were still new in the boxes and when I asked, it was because they have “demo” wings they install, not sure but either way, the wings were new in the box.

The saw itself was wrapped in about 5” of bubble wrap and the wrapped again in a cardboard outer layer and then had that self-sticking plastic wrap around it.

The fence and rails were wrapped the same as the saw, bubble wrap, cardboard and plastic wrap. I hope this helps with my explanation/description.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#4 posted 08-28-2015 07:48 PM

It’s always nice to have a wife who knows how to give their man a wonderful and useful gift like a fine table saw. Tell your wife that she has very good taste. I’ve seen the saw in person and it is a real beauty. Thanks for the nice review.

Now, here’s the catch. I guess that you’re going to have to give your wife something right around the corner. Perhaps a nice appliance like a refrigerator or maybe a diamond ring or something of that nature. Enjoy your saw.

helluvawreck aka Charles

#5 posted 08-28-2015 08:42 PM

It s always nice to have a wife who knows how to give their man a wonderful and useful gift like a fine table saw. Tell your wife that she has very good taste. I ve seen the saw in person and it is a real beauty. Thanks for the nice review.

Now, here s the catch. I guess that you re going to have to give your wife something right around the corner. Perhaps a nice appliance like a refrigerator or maybe a diamond ring or something of that nature. Enjoy your saw.

helluvawreck aka Charles

- helluvawreck

Charles,

The wife got a brand new home….fair trade!!

View cjg's profile

cjg

#6 posted 08-29-2015 05:15 AM

I have the same saw and have now used for over one year with no problem at all. Enjoy it!

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#7 posted 08-29-2015 06:52 PM

This has no bearing on the quality of the saw, but I think I like the clean, stylish, look of the Laguna machines the most of any line I’ve seen.

View marc7101's profile

marc7101

#8 posted 08-29-2015 10:03 PM

I saw them on sale for $1,169. Is this the price you paid for it or did you get it cheaper because of it being a display model?

-- Marc- http://www.thediyhubby.com/drill-press-reviews/

#9 posted 08-29-2015 11:45 PM

- marc7101

Marc,

I believe my wife paid $800 or $850 for the saw. It was less expensive because of it being a demo.

View RibsBrisket4me's profile

RibsBrisket4me

#10 posted 08-30-2015 02:00 AM

To the OP, enjoy your saw and please give us updates on what you think of the saw, the more you use it.

View braarm's profile

braarm

#11 posted 09-08-2015 04:59 AM

I recently ordered one of these for myself while I’m away on business and I cant wait to get home to set it up and start building. Didn’t read into the weight of the tool until after the purchase, the wife isn’t too happy that she has to figure out a way to move a 400 plus pound box around.

Your reasons for purchasing sound super similar to mine too! Now that you have had it for a week or so what do you still think of it?

-- learning through saw dust and splinters

#12 posted 09-08-2015 06:09 PM

I recently ordered one of these for myself while I m away on business and I cant wait to get home to set it up and start building. Didn t read into the weight of the tool until after the purchase, the wife isn t too happy that she has to figure out a way to move a 400 plus pound box around.

- braarm

braarm,

I have actually had the saw now for almost 12 months, and for what I do with it(small projects for the house and such) it works great and I couldn’t be happier (actually, I could, with 200v in the garage, a nice lathe, a bandsaw, planer, drum sander, etc), but seriously, it is a great piece of equipment. If I was doing anything professional, I would opt for the 220v saw for the extra power of the larger motor, but other than that, I don’t think I could have done better for the money.

#13 posted 09-08-2015 06:15 PM

CharlesA, I agree with your statement. I was in a local woodcraft store, and got to look the Laguna over. It is very nice! I was also very impressed with the Saw Stop, even their new jobsite saw. Wow the job site saw was really big and nice!

- RibsBrisket4me

RibsBrisket4me,

Nice Name, now I’m hungry…

The ability to move it around the garage and still have the vehicles park in the garage, works great for me. With SawStop, yes, I would love to own one, but I cannot afford one, so I just keep everything clear, and if that little voice is saying this doesn’t feel safe, I step back, and take a breath and re-evaluate what I am doing.

The saw is great! I have not had any issues with the saw at all, nothing! Anything I put to the blade, it cut. If I were to push the material as fast I have seen some push into their saw, yes, being 100v, it would probably bog down and may trip the circuit, but, since I only do things for the home and such, I have no rush or need to rip through 8/4 oak or mahogany at lightning speed.

I think that for what was paid for the saw, I couldn’t have done better and I am VERY happy and pleased with the saw. I am sure it will continue to provide me with years of use and if/when the time does come to replace it, I will probably be to old to use it, except to throw myself on it to put me out of my misery. J/K!!

View apehl's profile

apehl

#14 posted 01-18-2017 05:04 PM

Can the Fusion be converted to 220 like many of the other hybrids? Wondering if that would help with power or just eliminating some of the amp usage in smaller wired shops.

View Mike_in_STL's profile

Mike_in_STL

#15 posted 05-11-2017 12:02 AM

- apehl

I was under the impression that the motor is capable of 220 but the switch has to be replaced. My garage/shop has the main feed from the pole and the whole house breaker panel contained inside, so if I get this unit, I’ll opt for the 220 v switch.

-- Mike in STL