McBridge Cabinets, New Table Saw

Review by ND2ELK posted 02-15-2009 08:27 PM 4275 views 0 times favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
McBridge Cabinets, New Table Saw McBridge Cabinets, New Table Saw McBridge Cabinets, New Table Saw Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got my Powermatic 2000 table saw the other day. It is a 10” 3HP saw with a 50” Accufence and extention table. I also got a free Powermatic metal sign, zero clearance insert and zero clearance dado insert. I bought the saw from Tool-Plus for $2,669 which included the saw, freight and tail gate service http://www.tools-plus.com/powermatic-1792000k.html.

The saw was very well packaged and came thru with no damage. Everything was there except for the hardware package for the Accufence. A quick trip to Ace Hardware took care of that problem. Assembly of the saw was quite easy and all the parts fit together nicely. Minor adjustment was needed to the blade to miter slot.

The only complaint I have is pictured in picture #2. I cannot believe they put a 4’ cord on these saws! With a 50” Accufence you cannot reach the plug-in on the wall. My first thought was to put a longer cord on the saw but thought it might effect the warranty. So then I decided to make up a 8’ cord which means an extra male and female plug. I could not find any 30 amp plugs at the big stores so will need to go to the electrical supply house on Monday. I plan to talk to Tools-Plus and the Powermatic rep when this is all done. I think the Powermatic people need to re-think this one. I am also going to suggest that they need to reinburse me for the hardware and electrical supplies I had to buy. Never hurts to ask!

I had to make a make shift catch table till I get one built. I had this old walnut library table in the basement so just put some extensions on the legs. Great looking saw and good quality. I am very please with my purchase. I would recommend the saw and Tools-Plus. Looking forward to using it soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

View lew's profile

lew

#1 posted 02-15-2009 08:33 PM

Nice Saw!!!!!!!!!!

Probably has a short cord to keep the electrical resistance down. They could just as easily put a larger gauge wire cord and made it longer. Funny where they try to save a few pennies.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View GMman's profile

GMman

#2 posted 02-15-2009 08:54 PM

Very nice saw if I could afford a saw like that I would be in heaven, the reason for the short cord is so you run a wire in a tubing conduit and then you have your plug in at your table saw.

View pitchnsplinters's profile

pitchnsplinters

#3 posted 02-15-2009 10:51 PM

Thats great. Hope you get many years of satisfaction out of it. Have fun.

-- Just 'cause a cat has kittens in the oven, it don't make 'em biscuits.

View FJPetruso's profile

FJPetruso

#4 posted 02-15-2009 11:22 PM

Great Saw. What a Beaut! If it’s 230 volt you won’t need a very heavy extension cord like you would with a 110 volt motor. Or you could just put a new longer cord on the saw.

If the size is right… you could just convert the temporary library table / outfeed table to a permanent setup by routing a couple of miter gauge slots. It even has drawers to keep blades & wrenches in & storage space under the drawers. (I’m a cheap pack-rat.)

Your shop’s really taking shape great.

-- Frank, Florissant, Missouri "The New Show-Me Woodshop"

View Richard Williams's profile

Richard Williams

#5 posted 02-16-2009 01:36 AM

It looks spectacular. Some great work will come from it’s use. Take care and be careful. Bye.

-- Rich, Nevada,

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

#6 posted 02-16-2009 01:39 AM

WOW, I’d like to have that in my shop….................LOL….......if only I had more room.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View brianinpa's profile

brianinpa

#7 posted 02-16-2009 02:41 AM

Tom, Great addition to the shop! Enjoy it

-- Brian, Lebanon PA, If you aren’t having fun doing it, find something else to do.

#8 posted 02-16-2009 03:36 AM

Tom, you have a really nice saw to play with. I appreciate the review on this one. I have been debating between one of these and a Sawstop and am really hard pressed to decide. Your review does provide some nice info on the saw. I am sure you will enjoy it.

View ChicoWoodnut's profile

ChicoWoodnut

#9 posted 02-16-2009 05:42 PM

Lucky you!

When I bought my Jet Cabinet saw (JTAS 10” 230V 3hp) several years ago it didn’t come with a cord at all. I think most of them are like that so you can wire them the way you want. SawStops don’t come with one and I don’t think Delta Unisaws do either.

-- Scott - Chico California http://chicowoodnut.home.comcast.net

Nice!!

View doyoulikegumwood's profile

doyoulikegumwood

#11 posted 02-16-2009 07:43 PM

hey tom nice saw i think changing the cord wont effect the warrenty i would ask them befor buying any of your electric stuff if you run longer then it is now you probly want to go with a bigger gauge wire dont know for sur but that my thought on it congrats bud your shop is coming along nicely

-- I buy tools so i can make more money,so ican buy more tools so I can work more, to make more money, so I can buy more tool, so I can work more

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#12 posted 02-16-2009 08:37 PM

Looks great! Can’t go wrong with a Powermatic. I think the cord thing is bull…it’s the same thing when you buy a dryer…you have to buy a cord for it…crazy!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View dalec's profile

dalec

#13 posted 02-16-2009 09:05 PM

Congratulations on the new saw!

As far as the powercord is concerned, I can see why they might not include the plug because of the many choices of plugs, but length at 4” is one I don’t understand. Of course, once one competitor does something, it is easy for the industry to follow.

Anyway, this very minor distraction and should not take away from the joy and excitment of owning and using a top quality table saw. Have fun!

Dalec

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

#14 posted 02-16-2009 09:24 PM

Now that a sweet addition to anyone shop. May you have many safe years of use and enjoy all the great project from your new saw….Blkcherry

View Lenny101's profile

Lenny101

#15 posted 02-18-2009 05:46 AM

great saw very stable congrats!!

-- cut it twice and its still too short