A Decent Jig

Review by whope posted 08-25-2015 09:44 PM 10985 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Decent Jig No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had picked this up at least a year ago and the project I had in mind never made it beyond the thinking stage. I finally opened it up to do a simple walnut disk (will be posted later).

I had used the smaller guide (M200) and have been happy with it. This jig centers very easily with a 1/4” steel pin and an insert that fits into the router opening. It fit fine on my DeWalt 618. The guide pivots around an 1/8” steel pin that you put into the hole that marks the size of the circle. Pretty straight forward.

A couple little things keep it from being 5 star (I’d like to have only knocked down 1/2 a star): – The markings are on one end of the scales only. Would have been nice to have them on both ends. – The holes for the 1/8” in the template are slightly loose which could give you little imperfections in your cut

Overall, the guide is easy to use and some times it’s just easier to buy it than make it.

For my walnut disk, I used it to cutout the disk and then I swapped in a box cove bit to run around the edge.

-- Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe.

View whope's profile

whope

#1 posted 08-25-2015 11:06 PM

I like this jig too. I also use it as an oversized router base for edge profiling.

View Richard's profile

Richard

1912 posts in 2388 days

#2 posted 08-26-2015 03:31 PM

I like the idea very much but my M200 broke on the first use while doing the last of 3 1/4 ” deep cuts . The first 2 went fine but half way thru the 3rd cut on poplar it broke at the screw mount.

View ChrisK's profile

ChrisK

#3 posted 08-26-2015 07:28 PM

I use M200 and the larger version. I like them both. You can get oversized dowel pins at McMaster-Carr, MSC or Grainger.

-- Chris K

View whope's profile

whope

#4 posted 08-27-2015 12:09 PM

@Richard: Was it one of the smaller routers? I could see where you’d get more force against the mounting screws with a smaller router.

Maybe Jasper would be interested in making one out of transparent aluminum?

-- Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe.

View Richard's profile

Richard

1912 posts in 2388 days

#5 posted 08-27-2015 02:54 PM

@Richard: Was it one of the smaller routers? I could see where you d get more force against the mounting screws with a smaller router.

Maybe Jasper would be interested in making one out of transparent aluminum?

- whope

It is the Dewalt DWP611PK 1 1/4 HP Compact Router , but it runs smother than my 2 hp Craftsman.
I e-mailed Jasper about it but no response.