Great drill...but

Review by Cathy Krumrei posted 1993 days ago 3507 views 0 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great drill...but No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This drill has alot of long lasting power and when the battery goes dead..it’s dead! We received 2 batteries and it doesn’t take long to recharge the dead one. The downfall I have with this-the bit loosens when in reverse. You really have to hold to tighten the chuck…but for me the bit still drops on the floor. I may find something to add around it as the plastic tends to just slip from my grip and it can hurt. With the 18V it’s a bit on the heavier side but the power it has I can deal with it. Someone came out with a better grip on the chuck-of course it won’t work on this drill. I’m hoping Ridgid will add that to this line of drills I would definalty buy it.

View scarpenter002's profile

scarpenter002

#1 posted 1993 days ago

I have two of these drills and have had no problem with the chuck backing off in reverse. There may be something wrong with your individual unit. I would take it back to HD and ask them to replace it.

Yes, I was very surprised the first time my battery went dead.

I have had both of mine for 10 months now and could not be happier with them. Got them during a special tool sale last year and couldn’t resist. In fact I also bought two drywall guns and a circular saw. Man, I wish I would have sprung for the Reciprocating saw too….

-- Scott in Texas

View doyoulikegumwood's profile

doyoulikegumwood

#2 posted 1993 days ago

i agree scott bring it back i have this same problem with my ryobi only when going forward and wish i wouldn’t have drug my feet about it i”ll endup replacing the chuck because its very annoying. glad to here you like the tool. TOOLS RULE!!!!

-- I buy tools so i can make more money,so ican buy more tools so I can work more, to make more money, so I can buy more tool, so I can work more

View childress's profile

childress

#3 posted 1993 days ago

Also, you state “tends to just slip from my grip and it can hurt.” These chucks are designed so that you don’t have to “run” the drill and hold the chuck to tighten. All you have to do is twist with one hand and it will click tight.

-- Childress Woodworks

View Derek Lyons's profile

Derek Lyons

#4 posted 1993 days ago

If it’s a lithium battery, that’s how they work – their output voltage is stable until right at the end, when it drops like a rock.

-- Derek, Bremerton WA --

#5 posted 1992 days ago

I contacted Ridgid, in order to bring the drill to HD back for an exchange-the box etc have to be returned plus receipt within 90 days. OR send it to a dealer BUT you still need the receipt. Don’t have it. So just will use it and maybe look for something that has a better chuck to tighten next time. Or Ridgid will add that feature. Or maybe I could time it right when my son uses it that the battery quits..then say YOU BROKE IT! LOL Nay, his dad already told him it’s suppose to do that. LOL Thanks for the info!

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#6 posted 1992 days ago

Cathy,
If you tighten or loosen the bit by turning the drill on with the trigger, spinning the drill. After you spin the drill and get it as tight as you can let the drill stop and you should be able to tighten the chuck some more, it works on my DeWalt drills. Also you might try those cotton gloves with a rubber palm, the light colored gloves with a green or blue palm.
John

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

#7 posted 1992 days ago

Hello Cathy;
Loosing the receipt is bad news in this case as Rigid gives lifetime service warranty on this item…

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R86006-Compact-Lithium-Ion-Drill/EN/index.htm LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT FOR RIDGID® HAND HELD POWER TOOLS, STATIONARY POWER TOOLS AND PNEUMATIC TOOLS http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Power-Tool-Warranty that comes ‘free’ with that tool.

Never had a problem with Rigid and in my opinion for contractor work and on site jobs….these tools do not die, they may over time wear out gracefully, although that has not happened to me yet.

Your model number that you have supplied tells me that you do indeed have the Lithium battery and that power drop is what you can expect at the end. I’ve never had any problem with these chucks….so if you’re chucking the bit right, why not just order a chuck and replace?

Hope you can still get that chuck working right and….;

Thank you.

rusticwoodman@gmail.com

#8 posted 1992 days ago

Yes, it is the Lithium battery drill we have. Well, no matter HOW many times Darryl buys…when I ask for the receipt…yeah. So just have to deal with not getting it fixed for free. And my luck time I send it and have to pay fixing charges…I could have bought another new one. I don’t understand when you register their tools…ALL the information is there..when you bought it etc. That should be considered for the warrenty in place of the receipts. What’s the point in filling all that out if it’s not worth the time to fill it? People do have fires, things they can’t control can happen. So lesson learned..if I know Darryl is going to buy a tool..I’m going to just have to be with him and keep it myself..along with the manuels. LOL (again..something could happen and POOF lost all it anyway!)*BG I believe this chuck you can’t remove from what I understand from a tv show. I’ll check into that tho. Thanks for the info.

#9 posted 1992 days ago

Hi Cathy;
....I’ve took some liberty and did some research for you over at the RIDGID FORUM and found this one on the 18v Lithium Battery ....which I hope helps some….

....hmmm, now lets go and find some information on how to get that chuck off. And by the way these guys over at Rigid forums are some of the nicest folks you’ll ever come across for information and support on how to work on Rigid tools….good solid information. Ah yes whats that up ahead on my waundering journey; 18v Rigid cordless Taken the Chuck off????. So I guess it is so that the chuck can be taken off.

Now lets try//explore an-other way of getting that chuck off and if you have lost your owners manual…..no-fear//no-worry as Rigid has you covered. I shall now go to their online support and show you how to get a copy of the owners manual and parts manual which is at the top of the page and looking for Support now one can scroll down to Literature Search and type in R86006 which is your model number. Next hit the search button and once again through the mysteries of cyber-space we land at Owners Manual and the Parts Manual. By the way Cathy, I did check the owners manual and they describe how to get that chuck off.

Again I hope this helps in some small way and you can all-ways registar online with Rigid Forums and ask away there….and whatever I have said or contributed, well this is only my .02 cents worth of common sense amongst many others….;

Thank you.

rusticwoodman@gmail.com

View pitchnsplinters's profile

pitchnsplinters

262 posts in 2040 days

#10 posted 1992 days ago

Aftermarket Jacobs chuck.

-- Just 'cause a cat has kittens in the oven, it don't make 'em biscuits.

#11 posted 1992 days ago

....I have also noticed Cathy that one must ”Lock the switch trigger by placing the direction of rotation selector in center position.”

There is also information on how “To Retighton a Loose Chuck”, which when and while I am sitting here ‘thikin’....might be why you are not able to get the chuck jaws to tighten up on the bit properly. That bit of information is right below and following the information on removing the chuck….and some folks tell me they never read owners manuals. Owners manuals in my estimation are a great source and wealth of information and exceed to having a place with the tool.

....again….;

#12 posted 1992 days ago

I have the manuel! Sorry you went thru all that looking! I have the info now to first try to tighten the chunk…if not I can get this one off and replace it. Well, I’m a keeper when it comes to manuels. I save them all no matter what it is. And I do sometimes need to refer to them. Like now. Least now I can get this working the right way. Too cool! I do love this drill. Ahh guess we will stay friends after…I fix it! LOL Great info and thanks VERY much for the help! Sometime I hope to help someone with their tool problem. Me happy! *BG

View tooldad's profile

tooldad

#13 posted 1992 days ago

Ridgid has a 3 year warranty. 90 days – straight exchange, 3 years they can fix or replace. You must register the tool to get the lifetime warranty. If you loose the recipt, they can use the serial # since it is dated. However, how long did it sit on the shelf prior to you purchasing.

Our school uses HD and Ridgid because of the warranty. I always tell people if you want a tool tested, send it to a school woodworking shop.

The kids expected the 1/4 sheet sanders to work like a belt sander. Too lazy to file, and my previous partner, hence previous, didn’t care enough to stop them. Brought them to HD 363 days from date of purchase. They decided to replace them (Ridigid Service, not HD)

Also had a 5 year old 6” RO sander, bought when the lifetime warranty was standard, fixed it for nothing. The variable speed kept fluxuating and it wouldn’t have enough power to sand. —no recipt on this one

3 month old belt sander – no receipt. Front rubber wheel shredded when my son ran over the cord with it. I didn’t tell HD that part :) Fixed it no cost, no receipt.

View Mike's profile

Mike

#14 posted 1992 days ago

I use Rigid at work and I own the 18 volt hammer drill. I have 2 Lit and 2 nihm batteries. And my charger does both. I have no problems with mine at all.

I also had to get used to the full power then nothing from the Lithiums, but they last, when drilling.

-- Measure once cut twice....oh wait....ooops.

View Festool4's profile

Festool4

#15 posted 1992 days ago

I have the 24 volt version – one the best drills that I have ever owned, shy of the Festool C12. Of course, I purchased it on clearance. Had I paid the original price, I may not have been as impressed. .

-- Festool4