J-B Weld KwikWeld - 6 minutes to setup

Review by Mike posted 08-25-2015 03:38 PM 9143 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
J-B Weld KwikWeld - 6 minutes to setup No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hi All;

So many of us have used the standard 25 minutes J-B Weld that well takes 25 minutes to cure. As many people know, that is a long time to keep something clamped and it usually in my experience takes a few hours to actually cure. The other day I had to make a repair to my car and I went into the big Orange box to pick up some J-B Weld. I came across the 6 MINUTE J-B Weld KwikWeld. I’d never seen it before (might have been out for years, I don’t know). I personally didn’t want to sit and hold a turning lamp in place for several hours so I figured I’d give this stuff a shot.

J-B Weld KwikWeld comes in the two standard tubes. Just like the longer open time formula, this is a 1 to 1 mix. I noticed that the viscosity of the chemicals will change dramatically with temperature changes. In the house it was about 10 degrees F cooler than outside and once the tubes heated up, the chemicals have a slight flow to them before they are mixed.

I cleaned off the surfaces to be glued, mixed up the J-B Weld and applied it, then taped the parts together to hold them in place. Being that I was bored waiting for the curing process to finish I decided to play with the remaining mixed epoxy. Sure enough, at about the 4 minute mark it started to really show signs of setting up. At 5 minutes, the epoxy was very tacky and difficult to move. At a little after 6 minutes, the J-B Weld had setup and wasn’t going anywhere.

Later on in the day, I took the car for a drive and the light didn’t move at all. The J-B Weld held as expected.

Ok so why four stars? Simply put it’s the tubes. They are a pain to store and keep clean. Also, if you use the cap to pierce the tube, you now have chemicals on the cap which can add to the mess. While J-B does make a dual tube applicator, my box store didn’t have them in stock.

-- look Ma! I still got all eleven of my fingers! - http://www.lepelstatcrafts.etsy.com - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCppWfrYGXCr5lm9uW-Fpqqw

View Mike's profile

Mike

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#1 posted 08-25-2015 04:45 PM

JB Weld has been a staple in my shop for years. Good review.

-- Desert_Woodworker

#2 posted 08-25-2015 05:00 PM

Believe it or not it is slightly magnetic also. I went to JB Weld on some rare earth magnets and noticed that they kept attracting the JB Weld before I touched them to it. Also works good to attach a heat sink to things that do not have a built in method because it has relatively fair thermal transfer properties (fair, not great).

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#3 posted 08-25-2015 06:17 PM

They should go with the dual syringe type dispenser, as used with 5 min. epoxy.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

#4 posted 08-25-2015 09:07 PM

- Mainiac Matt

I think JB Weld may be too thick to work well in a syringe. 5 minute epoxy is much runnier and it is still sort of hard to get it out of the syringe.

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

#5 posted 08-25-2015 09:37 PM

I usually keep both the regular JB Weld and the Kwikset on hand. It’s good stuff !

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View Mike's profile

Mike

#6 posted 08-26-2015 04:36 PM

Matt,

They do make the syringe type dispenser. They just didn’t have it in my store. Here you go: link

#7 posted 08-26-2015 11:03 PM

Matt,

They do make the syringe type dispenser. They just didn t have it in my store. Here you go: link

- Mike

That isn’t the same stuff, that is plastic weld, notice the color says off-white.