Precise Repeatability for Multiples

Review by Marco Cecala posted 2019 days ago 3023 views 2 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Precise Repeatability for Multiples Precise Repeatability for Multiples Precise Repeatability for Multiples Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am currently building a set of 6 Arts & Crafts chairs as designed by Kevin Rodel in FWW. I will be doing a project posting soon, but wanted to recommend a tool that really helped me on this job.

In order to reduce individual fitting and trimming of all the joints, it is necessary to make mortises in the same place on each piece. With this jig, it’s easy to do. The tall back leg has 5 mortises, half of them angled. I was able to set up the jig, and place the mortises so the tenon pieces mated up correctly.

Set up is easy, establish the location of the mortise with the accurate Incra scales on the jig, and raise the bit to make the cut. The only slow down was when the piece to be cut got in the way of the crank on the router lift, I switched to a t-handle hex wrench which was a bit slower to use.

Other users have complained that they cannot make mortises deep enough. I solved the problem by using 1/2 shank bits, they are longer, and I had no problem making inch deep holes.

Checking with a dial caliper, I realized I was getting machinist accuracy in woodworking, within a few thousandths. I can see these being beneficial for loose tenon, as well as traditional mortise and tenon joinery. This project has both, and it worked fine.

View Marco Cecala's profile

Marco Cecala

#1 posted 2018 days ago

Thanks for the review. Nice job.

View Richforever's profile

Richforever

#2 posted 2017 days ago

Nice to know information. Thanks!

-- Rich, Seattle, WA

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

Let me speak up and make one point about this device. I own one. On my router table, since I use an easy lift system from Woodpecker, I can only adjust the router height from above the table. With this device, the only way I could adjust height required me to drill at least one hole through the device. In different situations with different settings, I may have to drill additional holes.

112010 posts in 2203 days

Thanks Marco

View Marco Cecala's profile

Marco Cecala

Rich;

If your lift is an inset plate type, just lift and turn the plate 180 degrees when you use the tool. It should leave the lift hole available, it does on mine.

Marco