Bargain box of Sand paper rolls

Review by bigJohninvegas posted 08-20-2015 04:47 AM 11491 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bargain box of Sand paper rolls No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I found this box of sand paper rolls on Klingspor’s web site, advertising a 20# box of end rolls for wood turners.
I like there sand paper rolls for turning and normally would buy 1.5”X10 yard rolls from them. 7 grits at about $8/ roll. so $56 when you need all of them
This deal was about $30 for a 20# box assortment at 100 Grit or finer. This box has a couple of 80 and 100 grit rolls, 5 or so each 120, 150, 180, and 220, a couple 280, and 320, and 1 of each 400, 600, and 800. Also, about half of it is on a hard backer. not at all flexible and won’t be much use at all for anything with any detail to it. I rarely use a 120 course grit. normally 180 to about 400 for most of what I do. So in the end, this was a big mistake for me. I don’t think the hard rolls fit a turners needs at all.
I would have returned it, but the 1st four rolls I pulled out were what I use most, 180, 220, 320, and 400. (Dumb luck there.)
Two months later I get around to organizing the rest of the box and discover its almost all a course grit, and on that hard backer.
Live and learn I guess.

-- John

View bigJohninvegas's profile

bigJohninvegas

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

#1 posted 08-20-2015 11:44 PM

When you say Hard back, just what does that mean?

-- Larry in Hawaii,

View Blackie_'s profile

Blackie_

#2 posted 08-21-2015 11:00 AM

I’ve not had any issues with my orders from Kingspor aside they are pretty much the only go to vendor when it comes to sanding sleeves at least from what I’ve found in my searches.

-- Randy - If I'm not on LJ's then I'm making Saw Dust. Please feel free to visit my store location at http://www.facebook.com/randy.blackstock.custom.wood.designs

View bigJohninvegas's profile

bigJohninvegas

#3 posted 08-21-2015 01:32 PM

The sand paper rolls I normally buy from klingspor for turning are on a soft flexible cloth backer. About half of the paper in this box have a hard, very rigid cloth back. Like what you might expect for sleeves for a spindle or drum sander. Even the belts I have for my 6X48 sander are more flexible. Last night I went to tear off a strip of 320 and it broke off. Brittle feel to it.
I agree with you Blackie, I think klingspor is the go to shop for sand paper, and I will continue to buy from them.
I just don’t think this bargain box is what it was advertised to be.
And was was advertised as a turners box. They do have other bargain boxes as well. Maybe they shipped me the wrong box even.

-- John

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#4 posted 08-27-2015 10:20 AM

John,

Do not be too disapointed sandpaper is like clamps you can never have enough of them.

-- Regards Robert

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

2914 posts in 2013 days

#5 posted 11-15-2015 04:23 PM

+1 robscastle ain’t that the truth.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.