Vega Pro 50 Fence - Long winded

Review by Kurt T. Kneller posted 08-14-2015 12:30 AM 7835 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Vega Pro 50 Fence - Long winded No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I needed to increase the cutting capacity of my table saw and last fall I bought a Vega Pro 50 fence system. I originally wanted to get a Biesemeyer, but I really need both my legs and both my arms. My table saw is a Rigid 2424. I wanted to use the fence for a while before writing a review. I have put it through the paces and the following is my take on the fence.

Aftermarket fences can be really expensive and may require a good amount of modifications to your table saw. That was not the case with the Vega. It used existing mounting holes and was not really that difficult to initially install. This thing is built like a brick ####house and it is heavy. I installed it alone and it was a little cumbersome. I am sure if there was a second pair of hands it would have been easier.

The front and rear rails are really stout. They have, for lack of better terms, jack-brackets for adjusting and leveling the rails. They jacks work but are not highly engineered or finished. Some of the edges required filing to remove the burrs from manufacturing. The rails also come with plates that can be used for adding an extension wing. They also required some filing to remove the sharp burrs. I understand the degree of finish is required to keep the cost down and I found that this was acceptable. In the long run I am more concerned about value and accurate function over form.

The fence is built like an ocean liner but moves easily and smoothly along the rails. The head locks securely to the front rail and there is a rubber bumper that just rides along the rear. I have not any issues with the fence moving or flexing during use. A real plus. The head also has an adjustment screw for making minute moves to the fence. No more bumpin n thumpin. Another big plus. At first I did not think I would be using that much but I find myself using it constantly. It is really nice to have that kind of control to move the fence to shave that gnat’s ass, so to speak.

The fence also comes with and rear rail hook if you are using and accessories that may cause the fence to lift. Using it is optional. I took mine off so I could get my out feed table as close to the saw as possible and I do not use anything that could cause the fence to lift.

It did take a bit of time to get the fence square to the blade and was just a little shy of frustrating. The head has 4 hex socket head bolts that are loosened to adjust the fence. The problem I was having was when the fence was gauged to be parallel to the blade, and I would start to alternately tight the bolts, the fence would move. I tried to clamp the fence into position but found that you could get constant control because of the rubber bumper compressing and cause the fence to shift. I overcame this by adding a couple of washers to each bolt and a couple of squirts of white lithium grease and then slowly started to tighten the bolts in an alternating pattering. The fence is now .0005 -.001 open from the blade. Perfect in my book.

The head has a non-magnified sight window for measurements. It is adjustable to tune it to the scale on the front rail. I does sit a little high from the tape so if you are not careful parallax could be a problem. With bifocals and crappy eyes there was a learning curve. Nonetheless, it is accurate if you are paying attention to you line of sight.

Now that it is all dialed in, I do have to say that I am really glad I bought this. The repeatability, its mass, increased cutting capacity, ease of fine adjustments, being American made and the affordability was exactly what I was looking for. I am sure that this fence will serve me well for years to come.

I would recommend this fence, at least look into it if you are in the market for an aftermarket fence.

-- Start with ten, end with ten.......

View Kurt T. Kneller's profile

Kurt T. Kneller

View woodcox's profile

woodcox

#1 posted 08-14-2015 05:18 AM

Good review Kurt. I have had the Utility 26 on my steel city contractor saw for awhile now and I am very impressed with it’s design, quite a step up from the factory fence that came on the saw. I need to replace the sight window due to a ham-handed adjustment on my part that cracked it. I do agree it is too far away from the scale. Overall, it is a solid system for just about any saw and highly recommended.

-- "My god has more wood than your god" ... G. Carlin.

View whope's profile

whope

#2 posted 08-14-2015 04:40 PM

I have the PRO 40 version and agree with all your comments. I would have only given it 4 stars as it’s a bit difficult/cumbersome to attach scrifical fences or accesories. And I can’t find any accessories for it (even at the company website). I did, at one time, order the legs. But don’t need them nowe. The (apparent) push guide didn’t come with mine.

I’m still happy with it and have never thought about upgading.

-- Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe.

View Kurt T. Kneller's profile

Kurt T. Kneller

#3 posted 08-14-2015 07:30 PM

Mine did not come with any attachments either. They do offer the pusher. I thought is was little pricey.
My fence is predrilled for a sacrificial fence and they did provide long screw. I am planning to make a custom sacrificial fence with some to track for attachments. Just one more thing on the list that is never empty.

-- Start with ten, end with ten.......

View AZWoody's profile

AZWoody

#4 posted 08-16-2015 01:58 PM

I had this fence on a Bosch contractor saw and I miss the fine adjustment dial on it.
I wish it came standard on other fences.

I was surprised that for the features and the quality, that it was priced less than the competition, at least when i bought one 3 years ago.

View SeeRockCity's profile

SeeRockCity

#5 posted 09-01-2015 02:53 AM

i have this fence and have been using it now for 2-3 years. it is a great way to add capacity to your saw without increasing the footprint dramatically. i bought it to replace the bies clone that came with a G0690. Much better fence IMHO.

View ras61's profile

ras61

#6 posted 02-07-2016 10:06 PM

Recently purchased the 50 to upgrade my contractor saw. So far very pleased, and it was even easy to shift the fence to the left to accommodate my router extension. The only complaint, one that others have pointed out, is the clear plastic sight glass should be closer the bar and measuring tape. Far from a deal breaker, and the best value in a quality fence that doesn’t break the bank.

-- "South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum" - James L. Petigru, 1860

View Commarato53's profile

Commarato53

#7 posted 01-20-2017 05:51 PM

Thanks for the review. I bought on of these off Craiglist from a guy that bought it new and never installed it. I have mine on a older Delta 444 Contractor Saw. I really love the Vega, in general. The micro adjust seems useless to me though.

View RCCinNC's profile

RCCinNC

#8 posted 07-06-2017 12:37 PM

Years ago I purchased the Pro 40” version to replace the finicky fence that came with my old Delta Contractor saw. Later years I purchased a General 650 cabinet saw, and sold the Vega fence to a friend. He’s still using it…and loving it. I wish I’d never sold that fence! The micro adjust was wonderful, and it slid like it was on ice. I replaced the original wood grain Formica top insert with white Formica so I could write notes directly on the fence while working. Very handy. Now I have the General and a Sawstop PCS. The T fences are excellent, but every time I’m bumping back and forth to get my rip cut spot on, I lament my decision to sell my Vega.