Thompson bowl gouge and Thompson detail gouge

Review by jeffthewoodwacker posted 02-03-2009 03:10 AM 7361 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Thompson bowl gouge and Thompson detail gouge No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have seen a few postings on Lumberjocks about Thompson lathe tools (www.thompsonlathetools.com) and wanted to let everyone know these are some of the best turning tools that I have ever used. I purchased my first Thompson tool a couple of years ago and now own the complete set. Pictured are the 7/16” Thompson detail gouge and the 5/8” Thompson bowl gouge. The tools arrive sharp and ready to use right out of the box. They hold an edge better than every other tool that I have. You can either turn your own handle for the tool or purchase a ready made tool. One option is to purchase the Big Stick handle which gives you the option of using interchangeable collets to hold almost any diameter tool. The price of these tools is very reasonable. Thompson Tools is a small American manufacturer that offers a high quality product that they back 100%.

The big stick handle is available at www.bigsticktools.com and comes with an interchangeable 5/8” collet. You can purchase collets at www.enco.com – look for the enco R8 collet that has the drawbolt threads. They had a set of 8 on sale not long ago for $25. Big Stick handle is another American made product from a small manufacturer. One handle can be used for several different turning tools by using different collets.

-- Those that say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

View jeffthewoodwacker's profile

jeffthewoodwacker

View mmh's profile

mmh

#1 posted 02-03-2009 08:29 AM

Thanks for sharing. I’ll keep this in mind the next time we’re looking for more lathe tools.

-- "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

View trifern's profile

trifern

#2 posted 02-03-2009 03:07 PM

Thanks for the review, Jeff. Where are they sold?

-- My favorite piece is my last one, my best piece is my next one.

View Chris Cunanan's profile

Chris Cunanan

#3 posted 02-04-2009 08:24 AM

yeah, i don’t see the collet handle you show for sale on the site, please help me

View NedB's profile

NedB

#4 posted 02-04-2009 05:04 PM

I’m just starting out on the dark side (turning), but I have had the pleasure of meeting Doug at Bill Grumbine’s Five Barns Picnic last summer. He is a stand-up fellow, overworked and loving every minute of it! He brought a pickup full of product with him, and though I didnt’ have the budget to buy anything at that time, I plan on getting the full set eventually.

-- Ned - 2B1ASK1 http://nedswoodshop.blogspot.com

View StevenAntonucci's profile

StevenAntonucci

#5 posted 02-04-2009 10:36 PM

As others have indicated, Doug is a stand-up guy when it comes to making tools. I met him (and Ned) at Five Barns, but Doug and I have spoken for years prior to that. His tools are top quality and very well priced. I own two, and plan on buying a few more the next time I speak to Doug.

-- Steven

View Chuck B's profile

Chuck B

#6 posted 02-19-2009 11:48 AM

I personally have half of Doug’s tools & I have sold my 8 piece set of Sorby’s. This is Doug’s web site.
http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/ Doug is a dang fine man he is a one man business & IMHO there is no better turning tools.

Another great turning tool is the Craig Jackson Ci1 & Ci2 tool I have both of them & they are fantastic. h
ere is Craig’s web site.
http://www.easywoodtools.com/ Check out the videos of the tool.

VIDEOS at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCKluqkR4Gs

I have no affiliation with either Doug or Craig but am proud to call them friends.

Chuck

-- Chuck, Mostly a woodturner

View Joey Stephens's profile

Joey Stephens

#7 posted 02-28-2010 12:49 AM

Thanks for the info, will check Thompson out.