BowlSaw

Review by DougTx posted 2000 days ago 2840 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
BowlSaw BowlSaw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had a very good experience with the 6” BowlSaw. The pictures show a black walnut blank that I now have a bowl and another piece that can be turned into a smaller bowl and/or a box. I followed the instructions included with the tool and did not have any problems. I started at 120 rpms and finished at 400 rpms. Will probably get the 8” tool and thus can core larger blanks and possibly make 3 bowl out of one blank.

View lew's profile

lew

#1 posted 2000 days ago

I have to Ditto what Doug said!

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

#2 posted 2000 days ago

I’m waiting for some warm weather so I can get in the shop and try mine.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#3 posted 2000 days ago

now i see what the tool does.. thanks.. pretty cool

-- making sawdust....

View ShawnAllen's profile

ShawnAllen

30 posts in 2050 days

#4 posted 1997 days ago

Have you thought about creating bowls on your tablesaw..?

Was going to provide a reference, but I seem to have returned that particular saw book to the library, sorry.

#5 posted 1997 days ago

ShawnAllen
I have not made bowls on a tablesaw. If you find the article, please forward to me.
Thanks

View WoodWrangler's profile

WoodWrangler

#6 posted 1994 days ago

What does it do? Cut the bowl from the lathe? I must be missing something.

-- Jeremy, Bradenton, Florida

#7 posted 1994 days ago

The BowlSaw cuts a core out of the bowl blank. This is wood that would normally be turned in to shavings or dust. The core could be used to turn a smaller bowl/platter/etc.

View WoodWrangler's profile

WoodWrangler

#8 posted 1994 days ago

I can see that now … thanks for the clarification.

I would be fearful that the large teeth on it would catch. Also, wouldn’t be require a rather “square” (not box, but sidewall-to-base) bowl in order to slip in in for the cut—or is the cutter angle adjustable?

-- Jeremy, Bradenton, Florida

#9 posted 1994 days ago

The tool that I received was square but I have seen a picture somewhere that the blade looked to be at an angle. My thoughts about an “angled” tool is it would be harder to control. The cut-out core and the sidewall of the original would be “square” however the sidewall could then be turned to whatever shape is wanted assuming that there is enough wood left in the sidewall.

View Bob Collins's profile

Bob Collins

#10 posted 1964 days ago

Simple solution. Start with larger blanks and leave the side walls a greater thickness and any shape can be created with 1,2 or 3 bowls. Bigger has always been better so they say.

-- Bob C, Australia. I love sharing as long as it is not my tools