Hitachi CW 40 16" Scroll Saw

Review by MrsN posted 01-29-2009 04:22 AM 20099 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Hitachi CW 40 16" Scroll Saw Hitachi CW 40 16" Scroll Saw Hitachi CW 40 16" Scroll Saw Click the pictures to enlarge them

For Mother’s Day last year my husband asked what I wanted. I said a scroll saw. I didn’t know what I was going to do with it, but I didn’t have one and I wanted one. Since that is about the same logic that keeps my husband buying chain saws I knew my reasoning would work. (I think the chain saw count is up to 6, just yesterday he came home saying “but I don’t have this one, and it has a turbo, none of mine have a turbo)
Not knowing exactly what I would do with the saw, and never really using one before it was hard to determine what I was looking for. I had used a dremel scroll saw and a makita saw while at school, and used a couple of rockler(?) saws that are older then me, but they didn’t give me much to go on. I could rationalize buying a saw that I had no real idea what I was going to do with it, but I wasn’t looking to spend a fortune on the saw. So all of the cool German build scroll saws were out of the question, my future saw was going to be found at one of the three big box stores in town (Menards, HomeDepot, Lowes).
My husband and I started our search for the saw at Menards, and found two saws to choose from a PreforMax and a Dremel. Neither saw jumped in the cart. The PreforMax looked and felt cheap, and the Dremel was much like the one I had used at school, and I wasn’t convinced. So we went to HomeDepot and had about the same luck, just the dremel saw on display. Then finally we stopped at Lowes. The saw that was on display was shiny and bright green and I fell in love. Ok, I am being dramatic, but we bought the Hitachi CW 40 16” Scroll Saw.

At the time of purchase the reason I got the saw was that it was the right price. I got the saw for $150, the other saws I looked at were $80-$200 depending on brand, model and location. The other major factor was that it came with a stand. I didn’t have to worry about finding room on a workbench, or making a stand for the saw. Since it was my first machine, it would be hard to build a stand for any machine with a scroll saw. My husband and father-in-law do have welders and woodworking machines that could have built a stand, but I was impatient.

My Thoughts:
I have had the saw for 9 months now, and I am really happy with the purchase.
The Hitachi CW 40 16” Scroll Saw is quieter then the dremel saw that I have at school. I can use the saw in the basement while my 2-year-old sleeps upstairs.
The Hitachi CW 40 16” Scroll Saw has quicker blade changes then the makita and rockler saws that I have used. It accepts plain and pined blades, I only use plain blades and they work really well.
The saw has had all the power that I have ever needed. I have sawed through 1” material with out any problem, larger material and really dense wet stuff are a little tough but not really what a scroll saw is for. Most of what I cut is 1/4 to 1/2 inch solid or plywood, and the Hitachi breezes through.
The saw has an attached dust blower and work light, as do most other scroll saws. They work pretty well.
I like the big central on/off switch, it is easy to turn the saw off fast if need be.
The table tilts in both directions, so I don’t have to do complicated math to figure out the other angle or cut backwards from the way I want to make the cut.
The saw looks good. Since I am a woman, I figure I don’t really need to explain odd reasoning like that but I will. I personally don’t like the apperance of dremel scroll saws. They are nice saws but I think they are a little ugly. I was really happy to find a saw that worked as well or better and that looked good doing it.

The offical specifications:
Amps-1.6
No-Load Speed-400-1,600 spm
Blade Type-Pin End or Plain End
Depth of Throat-16”
Blade Stroke-11/16”
Depth of cut at 45 Degrees-1-1/16” Left; 3/4” Right
Depth of cut at 90 Degrees-2-1/8”
Table Tilt-45 Degrees L & R

Bottom line:
The Hitachi CW 40 is a good saw for the average hobbiest. It has stood up to my tests, and is still running.

-- ----- www.KNWoodworking.com ----- --

View MrsN's profile

MrsN

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#1 posted 01-29-2009 05:22 PM

Thanks for the information! Great post.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

#2 posted 01-29-2009 05:59 PM

This is a nice review. I have a scroll saw on my list and this is certainly one I will consider.

View Jim's profile

Jim

#3 posted 01-30-2009 03:03 AM

I got that saw last year from my inlaws for christmas and have been very pleased with it. I added a foot switch and a light/mag glass.

-- Jim in Cushing Oklahoma

View Greg's profile

Greg

#4 posted 02-19-2009 11:24 PM

I have that saw also. It’s definetly not a Dewalt or Hegner but overall I’m happy. The light leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion, so I use a swing arm type desk lamp mounted on a bench next to it, also I have removed the green side cover to make it easier to make blade changes, just remember this when the saw is running. The stand is a big selling point too. The hold down arm is collecting dust somewhere as it was just in the way.

Greg
www.joesawdust.com

-- Greg S.E. Ga. www.thesawdustfactory.net

View shelton's profile

shelton

#5 posted 04-10-2010 07:45 PM

I also have this saw CW 16 the shaft broke, on the first one only had it three months, lowes replace it with a new one 6 months later same problem shaft broke in the exact same place , however not so fortunate this round the warranty ran out, and now i will have to buy another, i email Hitachi got no response, i ve had my Dremel for at least 8 years with no problems although its not as good as the hitachi updated equipment, at least the company cares about its customers, i will never buy another hitachi product and in the future will let everyone know not to buy there product thanks luckydawg50

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 1962 days

#6 posted 04-10-2010 07:52 PM

That’s odd Shelton, sorry to hear of your luck (you luckydawg!) ~smiles~ I own several Hitachi tools including their scroll saw. My sliding Hitachi miter saw is the best miter saw I have ever used. I have always had excellent luck with Hitachi tools and highly recommend them. ~shrug~

View Close's profile

#7 posted 06-05-2010 04:01 AM

how do you connect pinless blades it works good for pin blades however I can not connect the pinless blades?

View MrsN's profile

MrsN

#8 posted 06-05-2010 04:10 AM

mine works well with pinless blades. I put the lower blade clamp tigt then thigten the upper blade guard. Then tension the blade. It can be hard to get the feel of tensioning the blade at first. I started by setting it loose and working my way up to the proper tension. Send me a message if you need any more help.
Katie