Lie Nielson #51 plane

Review by MC posted 08-01-2015 09:21 PM 4271 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lie Nielson #51 plane No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Completed the new shooting board to go with my new plane from LN using the plans that came with the plane. As soon as the board was finished I started grabbing various pieces of scrap to try out the new plane. The 51 is heavy, the momentum helps move the plane with skewed blade through all types of wood with ease. Included in my testing today were pieces of Mahogany, Hard Maple, QSWO, and pine. Without any additional sharpening the plane cut through all wood end grain with ease.

Should have made the purchase several years ago. Looking forward to putting the plane to good use on an upcoming library project I will start soon.

View MC's profile

MC

View zzzzdoc's profile

zzzzdoc

#1 posted 08-02-2015 09:58 PM

I’ve really liked using mine. Really squares up stock perfectly. A good shooting board is a must to use with it, but you’ve conquered that part.

Enjoy.

-- Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

View CANDL's profile

CANDL

#2 posted 08-05-2015 09:33 PM

I gotta ask did you compare it with the Veritas? I am going to buy one, just not sure which?

Thanks.

View MC's profile

MC

#3 posted 08-05-2015 10:48 PM

CANDL,

I did not do any hands on comparison but I did compare both on reviews, options etc. (for several months). I own both Lie Nielson and Veritas tools. In my opinion both are equal in Quality, it just comes down to a matter of preference. My reasons may not necessarily be yours or anybody else for that matter.

On a cost basis the Veritas is much less expensive and I am sure will accomplish the same task equally as well. My reasons for choosing the Lie Nielson are: The LN is heavier and will have more momentum cutting through the end grain. The Veritas has many extra parts i.e. adjustable mouth and adjustment/set screws; I prefer the simpler design of the Lie Nielson. All of my bench planes are LN, I am comfortable and familiar with the adjustments on the Lie Nielson design.

The only advice I can offer is think about how you use the tools you have now, what you like and do not like about them. Compare that to the options in front you and go with your gut.

View CANDL's profile

CANDL

#4 posted 08-06-2015 07:06 PM

Fair enough, and thanks for the reply. I have to admit I am leaning toward the LN , but as you oiubt out the cost difference is at least a few lunches.

But then again I really like the LN shoulder plane I have… I think this is known as the but-but dance of new tool purchases. The good news is they are both good tools.

Regards