Recommended without reservations, but....

Review by michaelinthebasement posted 07-31-2015 03:44 PM 5890 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Recommended without reservations, but.... Recommended without reservations, but.... Recommended without reservations, but.... Click the pictures to enlarge them

I discovered Lumberjocks while researching my new saw purchase, so I thought it only right to make my first post a review of my new saw. As you can see it is a Grizzly 1023RL. I have been using it for five weeks and am ready to give my opinion.

Assembly was straight forward. The manual is very good with no confusing translations. The only hassle was getting the extension wings perfectly flat to the table. It probably would have been a little easier with some assistance, but I was working alone. I eventually did get them aligned to within .002” of flat as measured with a straight edge and feeler gauges. Everything else went together easily and accurately. After assembly I checked everything for parallel and perpendicular and all measures were within the same .002” without adjustment. The only other thing that needed adjusting was the throat plate which needed to be leveled. No big deal. In the five weeks that I have been using it, I have ripped and crosscut 2” thick red oak and a 3” thick plywood glue-up with dead-on accurate results and no struggle, and that was with the included blade! Most people call the included blade junk, but I figured I would test it out and haven’t found any need to change it yet, except for dadoing.

So why no fifth star. Well that is the “but…” The ShopFox fence, while sturdy and accurate, came with what they call a “magnifying cursor.” I call it a distorting cursor. The parallax effect of the magnifier was so great that I had to replace quickly. I made a new cursor based on the structure of the original but with the cursor mark as close to the surface of the rail as possible to eliminate the parallax. Now I use the rail to set the fence with no hesitation.

I was also very frustrated by the miter gauge. I don’t think it is junk as others have said. It aligned to 90 and 45 degrees very accurately right out of the box. But there were no holes or slots in the face for attachment of a fence! There are holes on the tops and the sides. I thought there might be some accessory available from Grizzly that attached there, but tech support knew of none and seemed genuinely surprised to hear that there were no holes in the face. So you can see my solution for that problem. This hold-down system is not as secure as I would like. I’ll have to come up with something better, but that is working for now. But I do want to keep using this miter gauge because it rides perfectly in the slot with no wobble and did not require any adjustment.

The placement of the switch is also rather awkward on the left, so I will be working on an improvement for that.

So now with my modifications I am able to work more accurately than I ever have before. I am even using the blade guard on this one since it operates much more appropriately than the pieces of junk on all other saws that I have owned. I am a weekend hobyist woodworker so this saw should be more than adequate for me. I can’t comment on how well it might work out for a more professional shop. I still have to make some zero clearance inserts for it, too. But even with its minor flaws, I am happy to have this as an addition to my shop.

View michaelinthebasement's profile

michaelinthebasement

View JAY Made's profile

JAY Made

#1 posted 07-31-2015 04:32 PM

I’ve had mine since March and I love it. I never even opened the shop fox fence I decided to get an Incra LS-TS positioner, and as for the miter gauge I already had an Incra Miter 1000HD so I never used the grizzly one. The saw has plenty of power and was dead on square out of the box.

-- We all should push ourselves to learn new skills.

View philba's profile

philba

#2 posted 08-01-2015 12:02 AM

I have a G1023RLW. Love it.

The standard fix to the idiotic bubble is to replace it with a thin piece of acrylic with a line scribed on the bottom of it. Minimal parallax.

Get an incra 1000 miter gauge. I wouldn’t be with out it.

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

#3 posted 08-01-2015 03:32 AM

If it were mine, I would not hesitate to drill and tap holes in the face of the miter gauge for a cross cutting fence.

As for cursors, I don’t use them and have never trusted them. I always use a tape or ruler instead.

View Woodmaster1's profile

Woodmaster1

#4 posted 08-02-2015 03:21 AM

The switch on my delta unisaw is on the left and I love it. I am so accustom to it that when I use the jet at school I always reach to the left when the switch on the right.

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#5 posted 08-03-2015 07:04 PM

Thanks for taking time to test your new table saw over several weeks before giving us your feedback. I think it makes for a better review. Glad you like the fence. Seems to be the weak link from most mfgs. at this price point.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

#6 posted 08-05-2015 01:45 PM

Love mine as well. Have yet to have a true complaint. I found setting up the saw a little tedious. I did it alone as well. It got.where.it needs to be and has stayed there, so I’m good.

-- Jeff, South Carolina

#7 posted 08-06-2015 09:21 AM

I would drill and tap holes in the face of the miter gauge for a cross cutting fence. I love my switch on the left, if things get hairy I can turn off saw with my left leg. I looked at these when up a grizzly a while back as well. Still making up my mind though. Thx for info

View michaelinthebasement's profile

michaelinthebasement

#8 posted 08-06-2015 01:12 PM

I agree with you Run and Ken regarding drilling the face of the miter gauge. Once I come up with a secure attachment to the drill press table, it will be done. The hold-downs were a quick solution to let me get some work done on the saw while I figure this one out.

View Roger's profile

20949 posts in 2950 days

#9 posted 03-13-2016 06:28 PM

Thnx for the update on this saw.