Solid brad nailer

Review by sry posted 01-27-2009 04:39 AM 4292 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Solid brad nailer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After debating for a while, I decided to buy this brad nailer. I was torn between this and the PC 2” model, but when I couldn’t find a good deal on the compressor/nailer combo kit I decided to go a different route. I’m glad I did (although I’m sure the PC nailer would have been great) I went to Home Depot and Lowes to handle some different nailers and see which ones I liked: weight, ease of loading, tip visibility, etc. I ended up choosing this one simply because it was lighter than the PC model, they were remarkably similar in most other regards.

What you get: nailer, case, oil, 2 sizes of allen wrench, and safety glasses

In use: So far I’ve built a basic router table base and clamp rack using this gun, as well as testing various sizes of nails with whatever scrap wood I had lying around (plywood, pine, poplar, maple, walnut). It had no problems driving everything from 3/4” to 2” brads into all the materials. Depth control is via a thumbscrew just under the trigger. Exhaust port is on the top of the tool and swivels to point any direction. After a few practice shots I can hit my mark within a mm or so every time. It’s also really easy to look in the side and see how many nails are left.

Cons
I don’t know if it’s my beginner technique or the light weight of the gun, but with the bigger nails it does kick back a little bit. No problem once I figured out to apply a little more downward pressure.

If I could award 4 1/2 stars I would, but since I can’t I’ll give 5 since I alwayts learned that 4.5 rounds up to 5

Cost $90 on Amazon with free shipping (seems to be up to $110 now)

View sry's profile

sry

View pitchnsplinters's profile

pitchnsplinters

#1 posted 01-27-2009 04:55 AM

Nice review. I have the PC and can’t say that it’s everything I hoped for, but good enough. I’ve heard good things about Paslode nailers, glad your experience has been one to write about.

-- Just 'cause a cat has kittens in the oven, it don't make 'em biscuits.

View Moron's profile

Moron

#2 posted 01-27-2009 03:53 PM

I bought a Minico 20 years ago and after driving well over a million nails….............it died.

Then I bought a set from Costco, one stapler and one nailer…............made it month and died grrrrrrrrr

Then I bought a Craftex from BB….......................a month later….........it died…......grrrrrr

Then I bought the above Paslode and its been several months and a few thousand nails later and still works perfectly. I like the ease of access too in accessing the pin that drives the nails. I give it 5 stars …......so far

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View sry's profile

sry

#3 posted 01-29-2009 07:47 PM

Roman, that’s actually another thing I liked and forgot to mention. If it does jam as it starts getting older, the access to the front is easy and tool free. And the latch is on the side, not on the front interfering with the line of sight.

#4 posted 01-30-2009 08:15 AM

I’ve had no issues with any of my PC air nailers / staplers to date….makes it hard to think about buying anything else , although I have “played” with some other brands at HD and Lo’s as well . We used to sell the Paslode brand of airless nailers where I had worked , and they seemed to hold up well for the contractors.