Penn State Industries Temp 142CX Dust Collector

Review by ND2ELK posted 01-23-2009 at 09:20 PM 10869 views 3 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Penn State Industries Temp 142CX Dust Collector Penn State Industries Temp 142CX Dust Collector Penn State Industries Temp 142CX Dust Collector Click the pictures to enlarge them

The dust collection unit that I chose for my 14 X 21 shop was the Temp142CX from Penn State Industries. Some specifications and reasons for picking this unit are as follows:

2 HP, 220V Motor
14” Impeller – 6 Fin
½ Micron Filter Cartridges
Up to 12 Drops
Up to 30 Ft. Runs
Up to 1200 Sq. Ft.
5 Yr. Warranty

I used the economy 26 GA duct work which was noticeably heavier than the stores. Penn State had everything I needed to put this unit in. There was nothing that I ordered that they did not have.

Everything went together very well, from the cyclone unit to the duct work. It took me 5 days to put everything in. I will hook up the hoses as I get the new equipment.

There were three accessories I added to my dust collection system:

1. Cyclone muffler, which really makes a difference. It is quieter than a shop vac.

2. A long range remote dust collection switch and motor starter.

3. Recirculating clean-out system to clean the micron canisters.

The only thing I am going to add to the system is a level cyclone bin sensor.

Penn State Industries had quick shipping and great technical and product support if needed. I highly recommend Penn State Industries and their products. A special thank you to Bill Whitaker for his assistance and guidance.

Up Date: I started using the dust collector now on a entertainment unit I am building. It is quite the system! When I used to cut on the table saw in the past I always had dust all over my hands and arms when cutting. I also remember seeing very fine dust floating in the air after cutting. The biggest thing I noticed is I do not cough any more when I cut plywood and particle board. That sure is not the case now. Put the best dust collecting system in you can afford. That cough came from being in a dust filled wood shop for 35 years!

View woodbutcher's profile

woodbutcher

#1 posted 01-23-2009 at 10:36 PM

ND2Elk,
Very nice looking system.I’ve ordered things in the past from Penn State Ind with excellent service as well. Glad to hear that the muffler works so well. I’ve wondered about the effectiveness of one in the past. Sounds like it is a must if the dust collection unit is in the same space as the rest of the equipment. I hope that you get your equipment installed soon-so we can see some new projects. Thanks for taking the time to post the review.

Sincerely,
Ken McGinnis

-- woodbutcher north carolina

View BarryW's profile

BarryW

#2 posted 01-23-2009 at 11:01 PM

Great job on the ducting…beautiful actually…what a hog of a machine…but then one wants something that will suck everything out of the air. 1/2 micron…wow. Nice.

-- /\/\/\ BarryW /\/\/\ Stay so busy you don't have time to die.

View Woodchuck1957's profile

Woodchuck1957

#3 posted 01-24-2009 at 11:37 AM

I bought the same machine except it has a 1 micron bag ( Tempest 142 ). Everything went together pretty well and seems to be a pretty well built machine. It’s definately not a one man prodject geting it up onto a wall, I had two guys lift it while I bolted it to the wall. I still need to hook the bag and the metal ducting up when the temperatures gets a little better out in the shop.

#4 posted 01-24-2009 at 12:42 PM

To mount the cyclone without help took some advance planning. I put the cyclone together on my scaffolding after determining at what height the scaffolding needed to be at. When I tipped it up on its cone it was the same height as where the brackets and flange bolted together. I rolled the scaffolding over to the brackets on the wall, aligned the holes and bolted it together. There was no lifting it in place at all.

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#5 posted 01-24-2009 at 03:45 PM

I have the Grizzly since it came with more stuff and I am still doing the ducts. I think they both are great units. good luck with yours.. I also agree. A muffler is a must

-- making sawdust....

View HarleySoftailDeuce's profile

HarleySoftailDeuce

273 posts in 2056 days

#6 posted 01-27-2009 at 07:57 AM

I have all my machinery on mobile bases. Is it still practical to have a fixed system? I wanted to be able to change my equipment occasionally for the best fit. How many machines will this system support? I have the basics; 17” band saw, 10” contractors’ table saw, Powermatic 6” jointer, 13” planer, router table with PC 3.25 fixed router & a Delta floor drill press. I suppose I should consider a floor sweep as well?

Paul

-- Paul, Bristol,Rhode Island

View Woodchuck1957's profile

Woodchuck1957

#7 posted 01-27-2009 at 09:04 AM

Paul, my shop is also our double stall detached garage. Most of my machinery is on mobile bases also, when I use the shop, the vehicles go out, and the equipment gets rolled out from against the wall. Before I bought this cyclone DC I had a mobile double bag 2 hp DC, but I never moved it around, it usually just sat in one place in the shop and would run the hose to the equipment. The reason I bought the cyclone was I wanted something that was easier to empty the dust from, I had one of those garbage can seperators for the old DC, but I rarely ever used it because it was just one more thing to setup at the begining of the day and it took up more shop space. With this cyclone I plan to pretty much do the same as far as hooking equipment up to it. The plan is to run the 6” intake ducting down to the floor and end it with a wye that has two 4” intakes, or a floor sweep and a 4” inlet, I haven’t decided yet. Then run the dust hose off of that to the equipment like I was doing with the old DC. I’m not going to run a full ducting system for two reasons, my shop walls aren’t finished, and money is tight right now.

#8 posted 01-27-2009 at 11:23 PM

Hi Paul

I think it is fine to have a fixed system even thou your equipment is moveable. Most of my hose connections will have QuicKonnex. I can hook up any machine any where I want to the dust collection system. That way I do not need very long hose runs and hoses laying all over the floor. Most of the time I will be rolling the piece of equipment I am using out from the wall if need be. The miter box and table saw will hardly ever move. They say my system will handle 12 drops (I have 9). The most drops I would ever use at any given time would be 1 or 2. If you look at my blog there are more pictures of the dust collection system. Good luck on your dust collection.

God Bless
tom

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

#9 posted 01-28-2009 at 09:20 PM

Thanks for the great review. One thing that it’s taught me is that I don’t need a system that big! Holy cow that’s impressive! Thanks again for the review and helping me zero in on something the right size.

View DannyBoy's profile

DannyBoy

#10 posted 01-29-2009 at 12:22 PM

That sure is a pretty looking machine. Kind of makes me want to paint my tools race car red.

-- He said wood...http://hickbyassociation.blogspot.com/

View SteveV's profile

SteveV

#11 posted 03-11-2009 at 08:01 PM

Tom,

I am very interested in this system but I’m a little concerned that the price is so much lower than other units. Are you still happy with it?? How long is you longest run? I am getting really close to ordering a system and I’m really hoping this can be the one.

Thanks
Steve

#12 posted 03-11-2009 at 11:05 PM

Hi Steve

If you go to my sight and look at my Blogs you will see a lot more pictures of the dust collection system. The total price for the cyclone unit, duct work, blast gates, clamps, hangers, hoses, misc. hardware, three add ons and freight was right at $2,400.00. There is a 6” X 20’ main run on the cyclone side of the shop and another 6” X 25’ main run, running at an angle to the other side of the shop. Each side has three 4” drops with a Y on the last two drops. I have only been using the table saw and miter box saw with the system so far. As I buy more equipment I will add them into the system. I will only be using 1 or 2 drops at any given time. I am very pleased with the Penn State dust collection system for the reasons stated above in the Up-Date. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

God Bless
tom

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

#13 posted 03-12-2009 at 04:09 AM

Thanks for the update.

How well does the recycle leg work that comes from the bottom of the micro-filter?

I have never seen that before.

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com