A funny thing happened at Home Depot: A young man buys a drill press.

Review by gizmodyne posted 01-23-2008 05:24 AM 11954 views 0 times favorited 43 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A funny thing happened at Home Depot: A young man buys a drill press. A funny thing happened at Home Depot: A young man buys a drill press. A funny thing happened at Home Depot: A young man buys a drill press. Click the pictures to enlarge them

Why this press
1. Decent reviews.
2. Decent price
3. COUPON!

The day I bought it

11:30 a.m. In the tool section.
“Joe”: Can I help you?
Me: I am going to buy this drill press. Can you get it down?
“Joe: No problem. It will be waiting in aisle 6.
Me (impressed): Thanks

12:15 p.m. After shopping.
Me: Hi, where’s the drill press?
“Joe” : uh, I’m waiting for the lift
other worker: Let’s just use the stairs and carry it down.
“Joe” (shaking tool): Dude it weighs about 500 pounds (actual weight 140 or so).

12:45: After more waiting
“Joe”: you have to go pay and then I can order it down.

1:00 At register with receipt
“Joe” : They can’t get it for an hour
Me: (thinking wtf!)
“Joe” I’ll put it on hold and you come back.
Me: Do you give me a receipt?
Joe: No, I’ll remember you.
Me: I think I need a receipt. How will I prove I get to take the $300 tool.
“Joe”: It’s me. Joe. I’ll be here.
Me: I need it in writing.
Joe: We don’t do that.
Me: I need it. Can I talk to your manager?
Joe: (Disappears for a minute and then reappears with a scrap of yellow paper): Here you go.

Crumpled Yellow Scrap Paper:

John paid for his drill press.

Signed,

Joe # 25
Tool Dept.

I’m thinking, whatever. So I load my car with the other junk I bought and go back to Customer Service and show them the yellow scrap paper with “Joe’s” writing on it. He had lied about everything. I had to wait about another 20 minutes during which they apologized 20 times.

I’m pretty mellow but I was pissed.

1:40 Near the door
So finally here comes “Joe” rolling my drill press.

He and I walked in very uncomfortable silence to my car. Loaded the car in silence.

In the end all “Joe” could say was “Watch the curves.”

Grrrrrr.

Actual Review
Well…. it drills holes. I never had to test runout or anything. It just does what I want it to do.

I debated the speed changing thing. Some variable speed drill presses have a dial, this one requires you to change belts (see the picture above). When you lift the lid, there is a little chart that matches speed with bit size and material. It takes about 10 or 20 seconds since there is a quick release tension handle. It is not a big deal. The dial machines tend to be much more expensive.

Nice features:
Floor tool (doesn’t take up bench space)
Portable (I put casters on it and it rolls nicely)
Power is fine (1/2 hp has never bogged down in quartersawn oak)
7 1/2 inches to center for drilling 15” centers.
Light! <Love this.

Price $299 U.S. at Home Depot (ask for Joe)

Stars
3 . It does the job. It is adequate. Nothing special. Reliable so far.

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View RobS's profile

RobS

#1 posted 01-23-2008 05:38 AM

Grrrr Joe!! Grrrreat review!

-- Rob (A) Waxahachie,TX

#2 posted 01-23-2008 05:39 AM

Which store is Joe at. So I can go to a different one and get a different Joe.

#3 posted 01-23-2008 05:41 AM

Burbank, CA

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#4 posted 01-23-2008 05:41 AM

Sounds like Joe had a little drain bamage.

#5 posted 01-23-2008 05:42 AM

Actually, Employee of the year.

View dalec's profile

dalec

#6 posted 01-23-2008 05:51 AM

It’s a wonder that they are able to sell anything, other than they have can offer tools at an attractive price and in some locations are the only game in town.

I suppose another way at looking at it, if you order a tool over the internet, you may end up waiting a week or more rather than an uncomfortable two hours it took Joe to get the drill press down for John.

Dalec

View Dorje's profile

Dorje

#7 posted 01-23-2008 06:38 AM

Fun review – can you turn this episode into a comic?

-- Dorje (pronounced "door-jay"), Seattle, WA

View scottb's profile

scottb

#8 posted 01-23-2008 06:54 AM

was so much easier when we could just grab the ladder and help ourselves.

Our Big Boxes seem so overstaffed and it’s a hunt to find the people who can actually help you…. Which does happen once in a while. Usually I end up knowing more about what I’m looking for than whoever happens by.

There are 3 Big Orange Boxes nearby (and a couple others that are an hour round trip or less (Not counting time in the store!) and they all are so different inside. (Not to mention the Blue Box a mile away from the Orange one (just got a second one!), one can find certain items in electrical or plumbing, but never both. So frustrating to have to be a frequent patron of a store so we can keep tabs on their layout, which is faster than finding our Joe (who needs someone else to point us to the watchamacallit.)

-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- http://blanchardcreative.etsy.com -- http://snbcreative.wordpress.com/

View EPJ's profile

EPJ

#9 posted 01-23-2008 07:16 AM

My Home Depot has many too many Joe’s, I go elsewhere if at all possible….....

-- EPJ,Calif

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#10 posted 01-23-2008 11:52 AM

The nearest HD to me is actually pretty good. I have suffered none of this type of horror story. I still don’t go there all that often, however.

View mrtrim's profile

mrtrim

#11 posted 01-23-2008 01:32 PM

typical corporate mentality, joe dosent care if h d likes him or not , he can go right across the street and get as good or maybe better job at macdonalds . you want fries with that ??

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

#12 posted 01-23-2008 02:21 PM

at our Rona store (Canadian Big Box store) we’ve been very fortunate to have received help (quickly) and with good advice! Wow.. they actual hire people who know what they are talking about. I’ll keep my eyes open for “Joe” though.

Overall.. a good review.. it does what it is supposed to do. Do we really need more than that????

And it’s a Ridgid, so the warranty is good!

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

#13 posted 01-24-2008 01:17 AM

Home Depot is really hit and miss with customer service. I try to go to the local hardware store as much as possible.

View SPalm's profile

SPalm

#14 posted 01-24-2008 03:12 AM

Good story, good purchase, good for you. (Good my name isn’t Joe)

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

#15 posted 01-24-2008 07:34 AM

Dude, I’m surprised you can roll it on casters. I mean it weighs, like 500 pounds!
I second the comix idea… “Gizmodyne is assimilated by the BORG (resistance is futile).

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.