Should have gotten this a long time ago

Review by whope posted 07-21-2015 12:29 PM 49493 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Should have gotten this a long time ago No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The old Sears Craftsman TS *circa early 90’s) I have really doesn’t have a riving knife. Bought a Zero Clearance Insert a few years ago. Usually don’t have a problem with pinching with oak. Started ripping some poplar and the first cut pinched really hard and I stopped and ordered the Micro Jig (as the nearest retailer is a bit of a drive).

I waited a whole week before installing it. Not sure why, other than I didn’t have a suitable scrap of 1/2” MDF to use. But once I did, the installation was straight forward. The back hole is over the lip in the insert opening for supporting the inserts. The instructions covered that.

The jig has storage for the drill bit, but not the 4 screws. Not enough of an imagination by the designers, I guess. I’d knock off a half star if I could.

Returned to ripping the poplar and it worked perfectly. I like the ability to push the cut against the fence with the different inserts.

Update: I was ripping an 1 1/2” of African Mahogany that pinched really hard. It didn’t bind the blade. Perhaps having the right insert in the right orientation would have kept this from happening. But you’d have to know that in advance. It was quite a lot to ask for a small piece of plastic. Still happy with it.

-- Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe.

View whope's profile

whope

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#1 posted 07-21-2015 04:18 PM

I like mine very much. Also their Gripper is very good as well.

-- Desert_Woodworker

View WoodNSawdust's profile

WoodNSawdust

#2 posted 07-21-2015 04:21 PM

I have never tried their splitter. Usually I just epoxy a piece of wood into the insert. Thanks for the review.

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

3342 posts in 1967 days

#3 posted 07-21-2015 04:32 PM

I use the Splitter pro on my Craftsman 113. It’s great.

#4 posted 07-21-2015 05:22 PM

I use one of this on my Unisaw for years, I love it.

#5 posted 07-21-2015 06:22 PM

I like mine as well, for many operations it improves safety on a non-riving knife saw. However, occasionally the splitter will bind in the wood causing the operator to use a strong pushing force to feed the stock through the blade. This is a dangerous situation. One significant incident I had with this splitter caused me to question if it was the best solution for my saw. The board (freshly jointed and planed S3S stock) pinched the splitter so tightly that I could not proceed with the cut. I tilted the board to free it from the blade and the ZCI lifted out with the splitter. The insert contacted the blade and sent pieces flying my way. I had my safety gear on, and was uninjured. I think it was a combination of how this splitter works, and the fact that my Jet ZCI doesn’t screw in place. It just friction fits into the opening.
I like their undersized splitter best, because it doesn’t bind very often.
If you call Micro Jig, you can order replacement splitters without buying the whole kit.

View whope's profile

whope

#6 posted 07-21-2015 08:51 PM

That’s the thing with the table saw: if you have a disagreement, it throws things at you.

-- Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe.

#7 posted 07-21-2015 11:12 PM

pintodeluxe, you made a mistake,you should have stop the saw before doing anything else.
The wood binding happen very often, when that happen stop the saw before doing anything else.

View jonah's profile

jonah

#8 posted 07-22-2015 12:14 AM

That situation is the best argument for paddle switches on table saws. Either that or some kind of foot pedal off switch that you can stomp on without looking at it.

Hmm, maybe I should repurpose a guitar pedal…

View Hopdevil's profile

Hopdevil

#9 posted 07-22-2015 06:55 PM

I like these jigs a lot. My only wish/suggestion would be that the drilling guide comes in metal. I have an issue with the drill bit chewing up the guide if my old bones let the drill wobble even a little bit. Each time I move to a new ZCI makes the guide less accurate for drilling. Mostly operator error I know, but still I would pay a bit more for a metal version

-- Buzz ---- Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most.

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#10 posted 07-24-2015 10:50 PM

I have used one for many years on my table saw. Combined with a zero clearance insert, it is a great solution.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View jonlruss's profile

jonlruss

#11 posted 07-30-2015 02:21 PM

I got both the thin kerf and 1/8” kerf version of these in anticipation of getting my dad’s ts. Haven’t gotten to use them yet as I’m still getting the saw set up, but it’s good to see more recent confirmation of what I’d previously read about them.

#12 posted 08-06-2015 09:23 AM

I have had one on my peg board for 2 yrs I should actually put it on one day Ugh. Thx for reminding me