Makita LS1214F 12-Inch Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw

Review by ND2ELK posted 2046 days ago 10876 views 2 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Makita LS1214F 12-Inch Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw Makita LS1214F 12-Inch Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw Makita LS1214F 12-Inch Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just bought this Makita 12” sliding miter saw and cannot say enough good about this saw. I went to Acme Tool an hour and a half away in Cedar Rapids so I could play with the Makita, Bosch and Dewalt miter saws. I felt the Makita had the smoothest slides of all three and liked the way the slides are on the bottom of the saw. There was no movment whatsoever and it just seemed like the best quality saw. It was right on the nuts out of the box and I cut all my trim for the shop with it. I would highly recommend this saw to anyone. I do not know if it is nationwide but they had $100 off the saw. This was not a determining factor but a pleasant surprise when I went to pay for it.

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

View Callum Kendall's profile

Callum Kendall

1918 posts in 2339 days

#1 posted 2046 days ago

I just got one and love it!

Thanks for the review

Callum

-- For wood working podcasts with a twist check out http://thetimberkid.com/

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#2 posted 2046 days ago

I have this saw also and it is great. The laser is fully adjustable and accurate, the blade was great quality(still haven’t felt the need to change it) and it has no slop in the sliders..nice straight crosscuts. The soft start is great no jerking, and the light is handy as well..I did a ton of research before I bought mine and this one stood above the rest, in reviews and how it felt and performed. I love mine..it makes the tightest miters I ever seen! The only criticism I have is the dust collection is almost non existent. I have read on some wood working blogs that guys have used stronger shop vacs connected to the dust port where the bag goes, and one guy even designed a small pickup chute in place of the small rubber one the saw comes with.

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View doyoulikegumwood's profile

doyoulikegumwood

#3 posted 2046 days ago

i have the older version of this saw and love it as well im glade to see that you got one

-- I buy tools so i can make more money,so ican buy more tools so I can work more, to make more money, so I can buy more tool, so I can work more

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2566 posts in 2069 days

#4 posted 2046 days ago

I too have one…great unit!

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View GMman's profile

GMman

#5 posted 2046 days ago

Nice ND2eck but put some shaving and dust on the floor looks more like a house than a shop lol lol still nice of you to show those tools I enjoy it very much

View Chuck B's profile

Chuck B

12 posts in 2046 days

#6 posted 2045 days ago

Thanks for the review. I’m looking for a 10” one is the 10” one basically the same one ie the same features.

Chuck

View jamieb's profile

jamieb

9 posts in 2044 days

#8 posted 2044 days ago

I own the 10” version with the laser; excellent saw. Even the included blade is very nice. I have it mounted on a Delta 36-136 miter saw stand and greatly prefer to use it over my tablesaw for crosscutting.

One word of warning though: make sure you adjust those two plastic strips on either side of the table slot before making bevel cuts! (It looks like yours are beige colored. They’re turquoise-colored in the 10” model though). I managed to ever-so-slightly nick one with the blade and sent plastic shards screaming across my garage. Luckily it only cost me $3 to order a replacement, but still…

-- Woodworker? Nah, I'm a clamp collector and expert in sawdust production.

View BIGSKY's profile

BIGSKY

22 posts in 2047 days

#9 posted 2040 days ago

I HAVE HAD ONE FOR 2 YRS LOVE IT. IS YOUR SHOP ALWAYS THAT CLEAN?

-- BIGSKY

View Gundalf's profile

Gundalf

13 posts in 2041 days

#10 posted 2035 days ago

Ditto… I love mine… Tom

-- good fences make good neighbors...

View NeoDon's profile

NeoDon

49 posts in 2042 days

#11 posted 2016 days ago

I too have one…it is really awesome a quality piece for sure,and the laser is really nice.

View Tennwood's profile

Tennwood

I also have one and have been very happy with it. It is my first miter saw and wonder how I ever got along without one. I love the laser guide. I got it on the recommendation of my brother-in-law who uses his a lot. Although I have not had any problems with mine, he recently has had problems with the motor slowing down. The store he got it from is still scratching their heads on why.

-- Jim, SE Tennessee, "Don't spare the kindling Dear, we have plenty"

View sillac's profile

sillac

A question for you and the other owners of the saw or similar saws. Did you consider the Bosch saws as they have the up front controls to tip the saw for a bevel cut where-as the Makita requires you to reach clear to the back of the saw to do this. Is this not an advantage? Or not enough of an advantage to overcome other short falls? Please don’t think I’m putting down Makita as I have some of their other tools and really like them, I just want to get the best saw that I can get. Thanks for you in put. Steve in Oregon

-- Steve in Oregon,