RIKON 10-351, 14” Professional Bandsaw

Review by John Little posted 07-17-2015 08:30 PM 53469 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
RIKON 10-351, 14” Professional Bandsaw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this bandsaw to replace my 15+ year old Jet 14”, primarily to gain additional resaw capability and boy does this machine deliver. The 3 hp motor and 14” of resaw height gives me all the capability I could ever use. This is my first Rikon tool and I am impressed with everything about it so far. It is a beast weighing in at over 300 lbs (over 400 in shipping crate). It came well packed in a wooden crate and had no damage. Plan on several helpers to lift it off the pallet. I got the mobility kit and that made it very manageable once it was off the pallet.

It requires very little assembly – only mounting the table, a couple of hand wheels, the mobility kit and a 250v plug (that you supply) on the power cord. Everything else comes preassembled.

Likes: The saw comes with a foot brake that I find fantastic. When you step on it, it automatically turns off the power and brings the blade to a halt very quickly. Without it the heavy cast wheels take about 30 seconds to spin down. I find this especially useful when I am trying to hold a large work piece with both hands and want to turn the saw off.

I have already mentioned the large resaw capacity and excellent power.

The blade slot in the table is in front which I found a little unusual, but it is excellent for changing blades. Rikon placed a reinforcing steel bar underneath the table with wing nuts for easy removal to keep the table aligned on either side of the blade slot. I like it better than the single nut and bolt on my old saw and so far I have not had any problem with the front slot while doing curved cuts.

It is very quiet and free of vibration. The machined surfaces are of decent quality; not super high quality but very good for the price point.

The bearing guides are good. I like the adjustment knobs much better that the Carter bearing guides I had on my old saw. They are much easier to use. There is some play in them until they are tightened down so you may have to tinker with them a little in adjusting.

A lot of safety features are built in. There is an electrical interlock on the tension release that keeps the saw from being started without the blade being tensioned, which in my mind is an excellent feature. In addition, both the top and bottom doors have interlocks to shut the saw off if they are open and I have already mentioned the brake and attached cutoff switch. The upper guide bar has a hinged cover to keep the blade enclosed and makes blade changing easy.

The blade tension adjustment can be done from the front as the tension indicator is readable from the front. The quick tension release is in the same area and surprisingly easy to operate considering the short throw of the lever.

Dislikes:

The 124” blade length is not easy to find at most retailers.

The resaw fence seems a little light for a saw of this heft, but I have not had any problems with it so far. It requires an axillary fence for large resawing that this saw was designed for.

Overall I am impressed with the quality, features and performance of this saw. I considered the Rikon Deluxe 14” 10-325 saw but am glad I went for the heavier duty model. Based on this saw, Rikon seems to be a quality manufacturer and they offer a 5 year warranty. I will certainly give them top consideration for future purchases.

-- John Little, ToyMakers of East Lake

View Andre's profile

Andre

2128 posts in 1978 days

#1 posted 07-17-2015 10:53 PM

Good to hear you like the saw, looked at this one when it was on sale at Amazon, I have the 10-305 and very impressed with it. I end up getting a 17” General and very happy so far!

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View David Taylor's profile

David Taylor

#2 posted 07-17-2015 11:05 PM

I have had the older 10-325 (from when it was green) for nearly ten years now and it has been fantastic. I could only imagine how much better yours is twice the power and the brake – I’d love one of those seems those cast iron wheels spin forever when you shut it off!

Great review! I agree, too, on the blade size. Mine’s 111” and a lot of people look at you like you have two heads when you ask for one of those. Enjoy your new toy!

-- Learn Relentlessly

View AHuxley's profile

AHuxley

#3 posted 07-18-2015 03:11 AM

Glad you are enjoying the saw.

On the blade length issue, the rule of thumb is if you are buying pre-packaged blades you are paying too much. You are very likely to have an industrial supply near you that will weld blades to length and there are plenty of great suppliers online that provide high quality blades in any length you need. Spectrum Supply and Woodcraft Bands are two suppliers that sell Lenox blades.

View waho6o9's profile (online now)

waho6o9

#4 posted 07-18-2015 04:08 AM

Thanks for the good review!

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

#5 posted 07-18-2015 07:32 AM

Grizzly has 124” Timberwolf blades.

View Jeff Mazur's profile

Jeff Mazur

#6 posted 07-21-2015 01:34 PM

John, can you share any info on how well dust collection works with your new machine? (if you’re hooking it up, that is.)

-- Woodworking is a beautiful, physical, cerebral, and noble art.

View stefang's profile

stefang

#7 posted 07-21-2015 03:08 PM

Sounds like a great machine. I have an 18” Woodfast (Chinese, cheap) with 2 hp and after replacing my 1/2hp Delta with it I can really appreciate the vast rewash improvement that extra horsepower provides. A 3hp machine like yours must be a dream and the foot brake is also a great addition.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

#8 posted 07-21-2015 04:21 PM

Jeff, The 10-351 has 2, 4” dust ports. One just below the table and one at the bottom of the lower wheel compartment. I connected a 4’ hose from my 2hp cyclone to the port bellow the table with a wye connected to the bottom port. I didn’t have any extra 4” hose so the bottom connection is a 2½” hose. The dust collection is fairly good for a bandsaw. Like most bandsaws there is a 3 or 4 inch space between the under side of the table and the lower cabinet where the dust port is located so some dust escapes there. I was surprised at how well the lower port works even with the smaller hose. I am probably going to leave the 2½” hose as is. A shroud between the table and the cabinet could solve the leakage but it would create a problem in blade changes and guide adjustment. I think it would be more trouble than it is worth. The vacuum is strong enough that you can feel it near the blade above the table. Rikon included an isolation area in the cabinet that the blade passes through on the back side of the upper dust port that helps feed the dust into the port. It is not perfect but way better than the single 2” port on my old Jet.

View BigBrownLog's profile

BigBrownLog

#9 posted 07-25-2015 11:27 PM

Good review and thank you. However, what are the differences between this one and the 10-352 other than 13” and no emergency-stop foot pedal? The 352 is more in my budget but is it capable of doing the same tasks. I will most likely want to use it for resaw at some point.

-- Whoever said nothing is impossible has obviously never tried to staple water to a tree

#10 posted 07-25-2015 11:39 PM

I think you are referring to the 10-325 and the major difference is the motor. The 10-351 has a 3 hp motor that requires 220 v and the 10-325 is 1 ½ hp and runs on 110V. The 10-351 is designed for heavy resawing while the 10-325 is designed for lighter duty resawing.

View SteveMI's profile

SteveMI

#11 posted 07-26-2015 01:58 AM

I have not looked lately, but the “electrical interlock on the tension release that keeps the saw from being started without the blade being tensioned” feature is a real interest. Foot brake is also something I haven’t seen.

A friend just bought an older Rikon 14” with built in riser, but the dust exit at the bottom is blocked partially by a plate. Was told they had to do that because somebody stuck their fingers in the exit while it was running and touched the bottom wheel. Did they do something different on yours?
Steve.

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#12 posted 07-29-2015 07:49 PM

Thanks for taking time to post your thoughts on your new band saw. It is appreciated.

Enjoy!

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View WillTheEngineer's profile

WillTheEngineer

#13 posted 10-04-2015 09:25 PM

Mr Little, how is the blade changing and any issues with the fence?

I’m looking at this Rikon, Jet 14SF,mans Grizzly 513b (17”).

#14 posted 10-04-2015 11:45 PM

The brackets supporting the fence rail are both to the left of the blade slot so blade comes straight out and and around the rail to the right. It is actually easier to change the blades than the units with the table slot that goes out through the right side of the table. You don’t have to twist the blade 90 degrees to get it to slide through the slot.

View Jim's profile

Jim

#15 posted 02-03-2016 03:07 PM

Glad you are enjoying the saw.

- AHuxley

This is good to know

-- Jim from Rivertown Woodcraft | Grand Rapids, MI | www.YouTube.com/user/RivertownWoodcraft