Review of ClearVue 1800LH

Review by Padre posted 01-23-2009 05:02 AM 11844 views 6 times favorited 35 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Review of ClearVue 1800LH Review of ClearVue 1800LH Review of ClearVue 1800LH Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased a ClearVue cyclone 1800LH for my shop about two months ago. Had torn muscles in my shoulder, so put it up a month ago, had shoulder surgery, and finally got it wired and turned on for the first time today.

First Impressions: The unit came complete, packaged extremely well. Everything labeled, wrapped, boxed, re-wrapped. I unpacked everything and nothing was dented, broken, scratched or otherwise in any condition but brand new. The system also came with a remote control and 6- 6” blast gates.

Put the unit together. This is more than a 1 person, 1 day project. The motor is REALLY heavy (5hp). The impeller is REALLY heavy. It took me two full days of assembly with the on and off help of two others. The directions are very good with only one minor glitch.

NOTE: Ed, the owner of ClearVue, is a fantastic guy. He actually answers the phone when you call, helps you at any time and answers even the most minor question.

After installing the ClearVue it was time to run the pipe. I chose 6” S&D PVC (green) with S&D elbows (white). I ran the 6” pipe as close as possible to each piece of equipment. I then reduced down to 4” and ran 4” flex hose to each piece of equipment. The longest piece of flex hose I used is 4’. For my drill press I had to reduce down to 2 1/2”.

After reading many articles I decided NOT to ground the piping. If I find that static becomes a problem, I will run copper wire to all my screw joints.

I have absolutely no 90 degree bends, but I do have some back to back 45 degree elbows. 90 degree elbows absolutely kill the airflow.

I put in seven machine drops and one floor sweep drop. The plumbing took another week to complete. Finally found a 30 gallon galvanized garbage can to complete the system, put on the filters and then had to wait to wire it up.

Wired it up today and turned it on for the first time. I did not expect and was shocked to see the power of this unit. It actually lifts up the 30 gallon garbage about 4” off the stand, and then sucks the sides in on the can about 3” I shut it down and called Ed and was assured that this is normal.

All I can say is HOLY COW. This is one powerful, quiet, well-put-together American Made system. I highly recommend this unit.

View pickles's profile

pickles

#1 posted 01-23-2009 05:42 AM

Yeah I built a sheet metal version of Bill Pentz’s design (the basis for Clear-vue) and shocking is the best description of what happens when that thing roars to life! Be sure to keep a gate cracked as I’ve heard the suction with all gates closed can crush the cyclone (atleast a sheet metal one) Awesome system!

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#2 posted 01-23-2009 05:54 AM

Thanks for the information it will help me plumbing my new DC.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View tooldad's profile

tooldad

#3 posted 01-23-2009 05:59 AM

I’ve gotten away with using standard HVAC 6” round snap together metal piping. I would be afraid to use that with this system.

#4 posted 01-23-2009 06:12 AM

nice, thanx for the review, this will def. be a future project for me after I find a more permanent location.

the only thing that kinda struck me as odd though was the fact that you chose to plumb the entire run with 6” pipes which is excellent, but then you reduced it to 4” at each drop, and to 2 1/2” on the drill press… I fail to see this logic unless this is a temporary solution:

1. reducing the 6” pipe to a 4” opening kills your airflow just like a 90 degree elbow will (same concept) by creating a bottle neck for the air. I would just go 6” all the way – including the flex hoses… you obviously invested ALOT of money into the cyclone, and the plumbing – the extra expense to have the flex hoses also 6” would be minimal.

2. 2 1/2” for the drill press? since this is all a fabrication (no dust ports on drill presses – so its all up to you to set it up) why not keep it at 6” as well? ....same logic as my previous note about reducing to 4” only this time it’s more worse…

not trying to be negative here – just made me very curious!

View Built2Last's profile

Built2Last

#5 posted 01-23-2009 02:16 PM

Very nice looking system. What’s the red light hooked to?

View spaids's profile

spaids

#6 posted 01-23-2009 03:50 PM

I have a little one for my shop vac. I have no room for a dedicated dust system in my garage shop. Even the little shop vac system they sell is great. The finer the dust the better it works. Its like magic. The shop vac stays empty and the important thing, the shop vac filter, stays clean and the suction stays high.

I did break mine once and I got on the clear vue forum to ask about recommended material for the repair. The answer to my question was “I have your address on file. Let me know if your address has changed or not and I’ll get you a new unit out right way” It was followed by answering my question on repair in case I wanted to fix it and have a second unit. I told the guy it was probably my fault. He didn’t care that it was my fault. Crazy awesome service! Very impressive product! Coming from some down to earth guys in South Carolina. There is nothing about it that isn’t great buy.

-- Wipe the blood stains from your blade before coming in.--

View Charles Mullins's profile

Charles Mullins

#7 posted 01-23-2009 03:58 PM

Chip,
I had read about some people having trouble with too high a suction. One fix I heard of was to use a dampner at the end of the main line with it spring loaded for suction adjustability. This also allows the main line to have the volume of air it needs to help keep it clear.

For what it’s worth.

Charlie Mullins (Mine isn’t finished yet, I’m jealous) Hee hee

-- God makes the wood beautiful--I simply rearrange it to make it more useful, hopefully.

View pickles's profile

pickles

#8 posted 01-23-2009 04:29 PM

Purplev – check out Bill Pentz's website it explains all about dust collection and he definately says to use bigger pipe whenever possible. Plus if Padre wants to change to 6” later the infrastructure is already there. I changed most of my tools over to 6” but a few light dust makers I left 4”.

#9 posted 01-23-2009 04:50 PM

pickles... I am aware of Bill’s website, which basically say what I referred to in my previous comment. if it’s a temporary solution just to get by thats great… but since this was all been put at the same time – I dont see the reason for a need for a ‘temporary’ solution for most of the drops… which made me curious.

#10 posted 01-23-2009 07:38 PM

The red light is an old traffic light a friend gave me. It wasn’t working, so I took it apart (not much to them), found an inexpensive controller on line and hooked it up. It now cycles every 35 seconds, red, green, yellow. :)

#11 posted 01-23-2009 07:39 PM

Purplelev,
I dropped down to 4” because my equipment (the bandsaw, joiinter/planer, table saw, etc.) all came with 4” dust chutes already attached. I didn’t want to ‘re-invent the wheel’ and since I put blast gates on each drop ans will be opening them one at a time, for now the 4” will be ok. I will re-configure to 6” in the future when my shoulder and $$$$ allow. Right now the Mrs. has pretty much shut down the shop budget! :)

#12 posted 01-23-2009 08:01 PM

Purplelev,
Just to check, I googled and cannot find 6” dust chute/port for woodworking equipment. Do you know where these might be available?

#13 posted 01-23-2009 08:03 PM

Padre – fair enough!

glad to see you’re back in action :) hope your shoulder heals quickly.

#14 posted 01-23-2009 08:08 PM

Thanks for the review. I am in the market for a dc system and will have to take a look at one like this.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#15 posted 01-24-2009 12:44 AM

wow that looks like a nice DC setup. I like the PVC pipe instead of the usual metal. Nice work!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248