Nice little addition to help curb your plane collecting OCD

Review by SPHinTampa posted 07-14-2015 12:23 AM 3381 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Nice little addition to help curb your plane collecting OCD No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am guessing that many of the people who bought this plane are driven by the OCD need to complete their entire collection of Stanley bench planes (I will post a picture of my BedRock 608 one day). At $119, this option is roughly $800 cheaper than buying the real thing.

I do not have a real Stanley #1 to compare against but I will say that these planes are not nearly as useless as they are reported in some circles. I used this plane to smooth 1/4” drawer sides during the construction of a W&M reproduction spice cabinet and found it to be enjoyable to use. It is very similar in size to standard block plane (a bit higher) and useful on smaller pieces. I found I could get a better grip for smoothing passes using the tote and knob than I would have with a block plane. I find myself pushing down on the knob with one hand and resting the handle in the crook between my thumb and palm – like you grip a plow plane.

I found it to be a good deal given the price point in terms the quality of the design and the construction:
- Casting was flat and sides square right out of the box
- Plane blade is reasonably thick and solid. Back of blade required only polishing, no real flattening. Front of blade took a few minutes work on extra fine stone and then a few passes on the strop to get to a mirror finish. Blade comes straight out of box so you will need to knock the corners off.
- Handle on mine was loose but easily fixed by tightening the screw (has stayed tight)
- Tote and Handle are reasonably comfortable and required no tuning

The only two negatives:
- I would have thought that the depth adjuster screw might have come with a bit finer thread.
- The frog adjustment is done via loosening two screws and tapping the frog forward and back. There is no room for a screw based adjustment.

This is certainly not a critical tool to have in your shop and there is nothing it’s size enables that you couldn’t do with a block plane or another smoother (#3 is probably more versatile), but it is fun to use. And when I finally build the Studley Tool Chest replica, I will have a #1 to put in it.

-- Shawn, I ask in order to learn

Thnx for your review Shawn

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#2 posted 07-14-2015 05:10 PM

I’ve been admiring these since Woodcraft released them. Good to hear they are usable.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

View Marty Backe's profile

Marty Backe

#3 posted 07-16-2015 01:57 AM

I bought one too. It’s great for smoothing very small areas, like faceframes.

View AKSteve's profile

AKSteve

#4 posted 01-02-2016 04:32 PM

I just recently picked up one, I had a difficult area to plane and I couldn’t get a good grip with my block plane, this worked great! minimal setup out of the box, I just cleaned off the oil and honed the back and gave it a quick sharpen. I am glad I got this. plus it was on sale for 99 dollars.

-- Steve - Wasilla, Alaska