Really Nice Set of Chisels

Review by jonah posted 07-13-2015 10:06 PM 7652 views 3 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Really Nice Set of Chisels No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The Narex chisels are pretty well-regarded from what I’ve read. That’s why I bought them about a year ago. I was looking for something better than the godawful big box chisels I had before (you can see them peeking out in the picture). I had no stomach for spending hundreds of dollars on a set of chisels. The Narex are sort of the Honda of chisels – they are a quality product at a moderate price that will last.

Using them infrequently over the past year, I have to confirm that car analogy. They came out of the package pretty close to razor sharp. I touched them up on my 6000 grit waterstone and my strop and they were perfect. They are solid but not heavy. The handles are a good size, comfortable, and easy to grip. They hold an edge seemingly forever.

I wish I had more in between sizes, but at ~$45 for four chisels, how much better can you do?

I bought mine from Lee Valley, where they are still $45 for a set of four. If I had to do it again, I probably would have sprung for the set of seven for $77, just so I’d have some of those useful in between sizes (3/8”, 5/8”, etc).

All in all, a quality product at a good price. Highly recommended.

View John's profile

John

#1 posted 07-13-2015 10:52 PM

Couldn’t agree more. I have the seven chisel set, also from Lee Valley. I would recommend them to anyone.

-- I measured once, cut twice, and its still too short...

View SPHinTampa's profile

SPHinTampa

#2 posted 07-14-2015 12:24 AM

+1 vote from me on reasonable price for good quality

I bought a set of the their skew chisels and they have been great.

-- Shawn, I ask in order to learn

#3 posted 07-14-2015 12:47 AM

They sell a sort of “in between size” set of four chisels on Amazon for like $39. Same steel, slightly different handle, but otherwise the exactly same thing.

They’re metric chisels (8, 10, 16, and 32mm), but they’re pretty close to 5/16”, 3/8”, 5/8”, and 1 1/4” respectively. I haven’t pulled the trigger on that because the 10mm is actually appreciably larger than 3/8” (about two hundredths of an inch larger) and if I were cutting a mortise or something that I wanted to be 3/8”, 10mm would make for a sloppy fit. The other three are within a few thousandths of their SAE equivalent.

View Lumberpunk's profile

Lumberpunk

#4 posted 07-14-2015 02:50 PM

Yep these are great, had the 7 chisel set for 4 years now and the mortising set for two. No complaints.

-- If someone tells you you have enough tools and don't need any more, stop talking to them, you don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

View RogerBean's profile

RogerBean

#5 posted 07-14-2015 05:01 PM

Agree.

View Richard's profile

Richard

1920 posts in 2807 days

#6 posted 07-14-2015 09:18 PM

I have been thinking about getting these myself since I currently have just about the same Big Box set that you do. For the small difference I might look at the 7 chisel set instead of the 4.

#7 posted 07-15-2015 12:11 AM

I would definitely recommend springing for the set of 7. As I mentioned, I would definitely do that if I were to do it over again. I ended up tossing a 3/8” mortising chisel in with my order, so I do have that common width covered with the mortising chisel, but there’s other in between sizes that are useful.

View vernonator's profile

vernonator

#8 posted 07-16-2015 01:44 PM

I bought the 10 chisel set when Lee Valley first offered them, and have since added the skew chisels to the set. Great quality and an excellent price….

View flatscat's profile

flatscat

#9 posted 10-23-2015 06:40 AM

I bought this brand in the larger sizes above one inch and they are as good as you could ask for. In the larger sizes they are reasonably priced. I also have a 5 chisel set of the paring chisels and have no complaints.

View Mike3ID's profile

Mike3ID

#10 posted 05-29-2016 09:56 PM

I have the two piece dovetail set and a 3 piece mortise set.

I used to leave them out in the garage of my elevated house in coastal SC, sometimes with residual glue on them.

Been dropped edge first on the concrete floor too.

I don’t coddle them they’re still sharp and nearly rust free.

I plan on picking up some more conventional ones in a few months