Jig Broke on first use

Review by Richard posted 07-13-2015 08:40 PM 2887 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Jig Broke on first use No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Bought this 3 months ago to use for making gum Ball machines. Used it for the first time yesterday after mounting it to my new De Walt compact router back in April. Made the first 2 cuts at 1/4” and 1/2” then when about a little over half way thru the 3/4” deep cut the plate broke at screw mounting hole and let the bit hit the plate at the 1” pin hole. Also had issues keeping the locating pin in the plate , it keep falling out when I turned the Router over. This is a great design idea and worked fine until it broke, it is just to weak for a lot of use. don’t know if I will try to order another one or not since $30 for a one time use tool is a bit steep for me.
The wood I was cutting is 3/4” thick poplar so it wasn’t that hard , I also found Reviews on Wood Craft and Rockler with this same complaint . Guess I should have read those before I bought it.

View Arlin Eastman's profile

Arlin Eastman

#1 posted 07-13-2015 09:42 PM

Can you make one of your own?

-- It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

View dawsonbob's profile

dawsonbob

#2 posted 07-13-2015 10:39 PM

Richard;

Sorry that thing broke on you the first time you used it. Ouch.

Thank you though, for the review letting us know about it: we need to know what to steer clear of, just as much as we need to know what’s good.

Thanks

-- Mistakes are what pave the road to perfection

#3 posted 07-13-2015 10:50 PM

Can you make one of your own?

- Arlin Eastman

Not like this one , I would need a CNC and a LOT OF TIME on a good CAD Program to do what they did with this to make it as useful as it is ( if it doesn’t break ) for so many different size holes. It goes from 1” to 7” in 1/16” increments. I really think if it was made from metal it would be great. The current concept is a great idea already it just needs to be stronger.

#4 posted 07-13-2015 10:55 PM

Richard;

Sorry that thing broke on you the first time you used it. Ouch.

Thank you though, for the review letting us know about it: we need to know what to steer clear of, just as much as we need to know what s good.

Thanks

- dawsonbob

Yea it really sucks that it broke so quick , I have a lot things I could really use this jig for since it really is very simple to use after you read the instructions for it and understand how to set it up and cut inside circles as well as outside ones. I did post a comment on the Jasper customer Service website as well so maybe they will come thru with a new one. But I am not counting on it. If they do I will post it here and maybe up my # of stars if the other one works out.

View rodneyh's profile

rodneyh

#5 posted 07-14-2015 03:01 PM

I’ve had the same tool for a few years, and have cut several hundred holes and/or disks with it on my Bosch 1617. Never had a problem with mine. Since yours broke at one of the mount holes, I would suspect a mounting issue. Mine stays mounted on my Bosch, but I remember it being a PIA to find the right hole / screw combo to mount it.

View WoodNSawdust's profile

WoodNSawdust

#6 posted 07-14-2015 03:33 PM

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

#7 posted 07-14-2015 08:38 PM

I ve had the same tool for a few years, and have cut several hundred holes and/or disks with it on my Bosch 1617. Never had a problem with mine. Since yours broke at one of the mount holes, I would suspect a mounting issue. Mine stays mounted on my Bosch, but I remember it being a PIA to find the right hole / screw combo to mount it.

- rodneyh

It wasn’t had to find the right mounting holes , just installed the centering pin and rotated the plate till it matched up to two holes which was the best I could get . I tried to match 3 holes but that didn’t work out and the info in the instructions shows most routers only mounting with 2 holes.

View whope's profile

whope

#8 posted 07-15-2015 11:15 AM

Interesting. While I haven’t done hundreds of holes, more like a dozen, I didn’t have a problem. I am using a DW618. Perhaps the smaller router places more stress on the template.

Will be more careful with it in the future.

Thanks for the the review.

-- Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe.