Put them on your short list

Review by Zuki posted 2013 days ago 1690 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Put them on your short list No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a review of Chipping Away – http://www.chippingaway.com/

From their site:

Chipping Away began operation in 1992 when Pop (Dennis Moor) took an early retirement and decided to keep a few cans of beans in the cupboard by means of selling his carvings. He soon found himself being asked to teach chip carving as well as present seminars at some of the local wood shows. Rogers Public Television asked him to do a television series of 45 individual shows in which he appeared as Host. The show was appropriately named ‘Chipping Away with Dennis Moor’. As his popularity grew, Pop began to travel across Canada and the US to exhibit and teach at shows and competitions. Todd (Dennis’ son) could see the fun Pop was having and became involved in the business immediately after graduating and receiving university diplomas in both Science and Education. Chipping Away blossomed and this Father & Son Team became loved across North America.

Around Christmas I was looking for a WS3000 for DW to give me for a gift. Locally they were a couple of bones short of $300 which I found a little steep. Being in Canada we have fewer companies to order from or we can order from the US and risk being dinged by customs, duties and the exchange rate.

My search for a Canadian source for the WS3000 brought me to Chipping Away. Their price on the unit was quite good and at the time they had a special bonus of the leather stropping wheel. I contacted them via email to see if they had any in stock and what would be the shipping. In a very short period of time I had a response. I replied with a couple of more questions and once again the response was quick and courteous.

The bonus offer expired December 31 and leave it to me I was calling them at the very last minute . . . I should have realized they may have closed a little early on New Years Eve. I got their voice mail so I left a detailed message and then proceeded to their web site to order the WS3000. I was a little apprehensive on inputting my credit card (just my cautious nature), however I chose the option to call in a credit card. In the notes section I asked them to call me on January 2 for the number.

January 2 came and sure enough I get a call from Chipping Away. On the other end of the phone was a very friendly voice that confirmed my order and took my credit card number. He then thanked me, said I would really enjoy my purchase as they are great machines and said it would get out in the mail that afternoon. I received my confirmation that afternoon that it was shipped by Canada Post.

Their site stated it would take 4-5 days to get to me . . . however if anyone has used Canada Post you can practically guarantee those times will not be met. It took almost 2 weeks to arrive. It was packaged very well with no damage to the box or unit inside.

In summary
- great prices
- great service
- great packaging
- shipping slow, but not their fault

Chipping Away will go on my Canadian short list of woodworking companies.

PS – I believe they ship to the US as well.

-- BLOG - http://www.colorfulcanary.com/search/label/Zuki