Great accessory for the shop

Review by jake posted 01-16-2009 10:50 AM 6256 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great accessory for the shop No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I often make furniture for my home and family. I have a larger miter saw but it is too big and heavy to easily move around and I have a small shop space to deal with. I had an old 8-1/4 Delta miter saw that died after 20 years of faithful service that I would often pull out to use, instead of the 12 incher. I missed that little guy and saw the Craftsman 7-1/4 sliding miter on sale for 99.00. It is usually about 169.00. The small blade is fine for one inch material that I usually use and it will cut 2 inch masterial as will a circular saws blade. It tracks very smoothly, and holds its settings well. The small blade is relatively stiff due to its smaller diameter and cheap to replace. It came well packed and all settings were dead on out of the box. I find myself using this saw more and more, due to its decent cutting action and light weight and small size. It is much quieter than the larger saw as well, so nice to use when family is around and I am in the shop working. The first three numbers of thier products are the mfg. code. It looks like this saw is put out by the same company that is making many of their Craftsman Professional line, like their circular saws and routers. They have been getting good reviews as well. Seems like Sears has moved to better tools for a reasonable price, as until recently I found them overpriced and lacking in quality/features even at thier sale prices. Nice to see them working to bring the name back to a level of respectability. As most people know the bigger table saws are put out by a division of Steel City, and when on sale are a good value. If you need a handy saw that is easy to tote and doesnt take a large foot print, check this out as it is not just a toy. The 12 inch Dewalt is gathering a lot of dust now but glad I have it.

View jake's profile

jake

View DaveH's profile

DaveH

#1 posted 01-16-2009 05:51 PM

You have to be careful when buying Craftsman labeled tools these days. Craftsman used to stand for quality at a fair price. Now days, they also label the junk they sell with the Craftsman name. I recently purchased a “Craftsman” screwdriver bit set they had on sell. I chipped the heads on 3 philips driver bits out of the set within the first 5 minutes of use.

Thanks for the review. I’ve been looking at 12” inch slider myself and recently purchased their 2.25 hp fixed / plunge router kit.

-- DaveH - Boise, Idaho - “How hard can it be? It's only wood!”

View mrsawdust's profile

mrsawdust

#2 posted 01-17-2009 12:06 AM

good luck with it, Jake. i recently purchased a craftsman 7 1/4” non-slider for $40.00! for “little cuts”! picked it up at a Sears outlet and really find it useful. i agree with DaveH about Craftsman tools these days. to go one step further, i think one needs to be careful with many brand names these days, not just Craftsman. it seems we are being bombarded with a lot of Chinese made junk…..

-- mrsawdust, pittsburgh,pa.

View YPA's profile

YPA

#3 posted 12-31-2009 12:14 AM

I have this saw also. The only thing I don’t like about it is the dust collection doesn’t work. I have to constantly clean the laser and rest of the saw. Besides that the saw is great.

View papadan's profile

papadan

1156 posts in 2065 days

#4 posted 12-31-2009 12:22 AM

How wide of a board can this saw cut? I am still using my Delta 8 1/4”.

-- Carpenter assembles with hands, Designer builds with brains, Artist creates with heart!

View SchotterWoodworking's profile

SchotterWoodworking

#5 posted 02-08-2010 02:51 AM

I’ve had this saw for about two years now. I put a nice 60 tooth crosscut blade in it and starting knocking out birdhouses. Great little saw for the price, especially for small timers and hobbyists who don’t need to drop the money on a bigger saw.

#6 posted 02-08-2010 04:38 AM

Thanks for the review

View 8iowa's profile

8iowa

#7 posted 02-08-2010 04:45 AM

It’s interesting how there are so many ways to work wood, and how different thought processes and experiences lead individuals to different tools to accomplish a task.

I don’t have a miter saw, and likely never will. I have a crosscut table and an Incra MiterPro 5000. I use these accessories to do all my cross and miter cuts. I think one of the reasons why a miter saw doesn’t appeal to me is that dust collection is so difficult.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"

View chefpoongie's profile

chefpoongie

#8 posted 03-04-2010 09:06 PM

thanks for the review. I might add this to my collection of tool.

Just a question for mr. 8iowa, now do you cut 12-16’ crown with the Incra MiterPro 5000?